Toronto Transit Commission route 512 'St Clair'
|Number of Branches||1|
|Distance||7.00km (Keele - St. Clair Station)|
|Blue Night||312 St. Clair-Junction|
|Types of vehicles used||Bombardier Flexity|
This route provides service on St. Clair Avenue West, between Yonge Street and Gunns Road. Its eastern terminal is St. Clair Station and the western terminal is Gunns Loop (listed as Keele) for its one branch, 512.
This route has 1 branch:
- 512 Keele - St. Clair Station
The St. Clair ROW Project
In 2002, the commission began exploring the option of running the 512 St. Clair streetcars on a dedicated right-of-way. The commission authorized an environmental assessment in 2003. City Council gave approval to proceed with the implementation of the right-of-way on St. Clair Avenue West between Yonge Street and Gunns Road in late 2004.
The project was expected to be completed by September 2006. This project faced considerable resistance from local residents and advocates. In August 2005, a Judicial Review ordered construction to be stopped during its review. The Judicial Review ruled in favour of the complainants, but the Divisional Court of Ontario overruled the review in February 2006 after an appeal. The initial projected cost was approximately $48 million. This was later revised to be $65 million. The estimated cost had increased to $106 million by 2010.
The first phase included work between Yonge Street and Vaughan Road. It was completed and operational by February 2007. By December 2009, the portion to Lansdowne Avenue was completed and operational. Construction to Gunns Loop was completed in 2010, and on June 30, full streetcar service resumed on the new right-of-way. The public was treated to free rides on the two PCC streetcars on the opening day.
New large modern glass and metal shelters are used along the entire route. Local information relating to the stop's community is posted in enclosed boards along with route information. Stop names make use of the TTC's own font which is used at most subway stations. Public art installations were installed in late 2010. In total, there are 24 art installations between Yonge Street and Gunns Loop.
Streetcars operated on the completed portion of the right-of-way during construction. Wilson Division supplied shuttle bus service to provide service over the incomplete portion.
- July 31, 2005 - Time-based transfer pilot program (2 hours) is introduced.
- January 7, 2007 - Streetcar service resumes between St. Clair West Station and Gunns Loop.
- February 18, 2007 - Streetcar service resumes between St. Clair West Station and St. Clair Station.
- June 30, 2010 - Full streetcar service resumes on the new streetcar right-of-way.
- June 19, 2016 - Streetcar service temporarily replaced by buses due to construction on the right-of-way platforms for the Bombardier Flexity streetcars.
- November 20, 2016 - Construction on the right-of-way platforms has completed ahead of schedule and streetcars return to the entire route.
- September 3, 2017 - After 12 years, the time-based transfer pilot program (2 hours) is discontinued.
- September 7, 2017 - New low-floor Bombardier Flexity streetcars are introduced on this route.
- September 2, 2018 - Route made accessible with low-floor streetcars.
Overnight service is provided by 312 St. Clair-Junction over the entire route.
Streetcars that can appear on 512 St. Clair include the Bombardier Flexity .
Previous route maps
|St. Clair Ave. W. @ Keele St.||512|
|St. Clair Ave. W. @ Old Weston Rd.||512|
|St. Clair Ave. W. @ Caledonia Rd.||512|
|St. Clair Ave. W. @ Lansdowne Ave.||512|
|St. Clair Ave. W. @ Dufferin St.||512|
|St. Clair Ave. W. @ Oakwood Ave.||512|
|St. Clair Ave. W. @ Christie St.||512|
|St. Clair Ave. W. @ Vaughan Rd.||512|
|St. Clair Ave. W. @ Bathurst St.||512|
|St. Clair West Station||512|
|St. Clair Ave. W. @ Spadina Rd.||512|
|St. Clair Ave. W. @ Avenue Rd.||512|
|St. Clair Ave. W. @ Yonge St.||512|
|St. Clair Station||512|
- Notice Of Award - Procurement Authorization - St. Clair Avenue West Engineering, Urban Design, ttc.ca, retrieved on 2011-11-11
- TTC report: 'Getting It Right' Lessons from the Implementation of the St. Clair Streetcar for the Implementation of Transit City, ttc.ca, retrieved on 2011-11-11
- Full streetcar service resumes on St. Clair, ttc.ca, retrieved on 2011-11-11