Toronto Transit Commission route 224 'Victoria Park North'
224 Victoria Park North was a bus route operated by the Toronto Transit Commission in Toronto, Ontario, Canada.
For detailed information about the former service north of Steeles, see the YRT route history for 224 Victoria Park.
This route serviced Victoria Park Avenue north of Sheppard Avenue East. It also serviced Woodbine Avenue between Denison Street and Elgin Mills Road, except between Major Mackenzie Drive and Stony Hill Boulevard and in the commercial area west of Woodbine Avenue between Lanark Road and Hooper Drive. There is one southern terminal, which was Don Mills Station. Northern terminals included 14th Avenue for 224C, and Elgin Mills Road for 224D. An extra fare is required for the route north of Steeles Avenue, since the bus enters York Region. This route only operated during rush hours on weekdays.
Northbound 224D buses operated northbound through the Highway 7 Industrial Area and northbound on Hillmount Road during the morning rush hour. Southbound 224D buses operated southbound through the Highway 7 Industrial Area and southbound on Hillmount Road during the afternoon rush hour.
- November 24, 2002 - With the opening of the new Sheppard subway, service begins on this route providing service on Victoria Park Avenue north of Sheppard Avenue East and on Woodbine Avenue north of Denison Road. Branches 224C and 224D replace the existing 24C and 24D Victoria Park branches and operate over the same routing.
- May 11, 2003 - At the request of York Region Transit, weekend and holiday service north of Steeles Avenue East is eliminated and replaced by York Region Transit route 224B Woodbine operating over the 224D routing. Weekend service on this route is replaced with branch 224 operating between Don Mills Station and Steeles Avenue East.
- September 7, 2004 - Due to unacceptable financial performance, weekday off-peak service is eliminated and replaced with the 24D branch. In addition, branch 224 to Steeles is permanently discontinued. This route will only operate during the rush hours on weekdays.
- May 5, 2005 - Branch 224D is extended north of Major Mackenzie Drive to serve the residential area on Hazelton Avenue and Stony Hill Boulevard.
- November 23, 2008 - Moved to Eglinton Division. Route made accessible.
- May 10, 2010 - Branch 224D is extended north from Stony Hill Boulevard to Elgin Mills Road and the Honda Canada Manufacturing Plant.
- June 17, 2016 - As per the request of York Region Transit, all service on route 224 will be discontinued and replaced with the new 24 Woodbine route operated by York Region Transit. The new route will mirror the routing of the former 224D branch.
Previous route maps
This route had 2 branches:
Overnight service was not provided.
Buses that appeared on 224 Victoria Park North included the Orion VII .