Toronto Transit Commission route 86 'Scarborough'
|Number of Branches||5|
|Distance||15.63km (Kennedy Station - Toronto Zoo)|
10.92km (Kennedy Station - Highland Creek)
14.00km (Kennedy Station - Sheppard)
11.26km (Kennedy Stn - Beechgrove via Lawrence)
|Blue Night||334 Eglinton East|
|Types of vehicles used||Nova Bus LFS|
86 Scarborough is a bus route operated by the Toronto Transit Commission in Toronto, Ontario, Canada.
This route services Eglinton Avenue East between Kennedy Road and Kingston Road, Kingston Road between Eglinton Avenue East and Meadowvale Road, and Meadowvale Road between Kingston Road and Sheppard Avenue East. There is one southwestern terminal, which is Kennedy Station. Northeastern terminals include Toronto Zoo for 86A, Highland Creek Overpass for 86B, Sheppard Avenue for 86C and 86E, and Beechgrove Drive for 86D. Branch 86A operates when the Toronto Zoo is open. Branch 86B only operates during the morning rush hour on weekdays. Branch 86C operates when the Toronto Zoo is not open. Branch 86D operates during the daytime on weekdays and Saturdays.
- June 26, 1936 - Bus service replaces the original Scarboro Radial Railway. Buses operate from Bingham Loop to Kingston Road and Eglinton Avenue.
- April 6, 1942 - Service extended to West Hill during rush hour periods.
- February 28, 1944 - Service to West Hill operates 7 days a week, including evenings.
- April 15, 1956 - Route assigned to #86.
- September 15, 1961 - Branch added to serve Markham Road, to Painted Post Drive.
- August 19, 1966 - Service on Markham Road extended to Ellesmere Road. Service on Kingston Road extended from West Hill to Highland Creek.
- May 11, 1968 - With the extension of the Bloor-Danforth Subway to Warden, all 86 services are rerouted from Bingham Loop to Warden Station. Service on Markham Road is also extended to Progress.
- January 2, 1973 - Service to Beechgrove begins, numbered "86B".
- July 22, 1974 - Service to Metro Zoo begins, numbered "86C".
- October 16, 1977 - Last day of service on Markham Road, service replaced by the 102 Markham Road Bus.
- September 7, 1980 - Service extended from Highland Creek to an off-street loop at Meadowvale and Sheppard.
- November 22, 1980 - With the extension of the Bloor-Danforth line, all 86 services rerouted to serve Kennedy Station. Service to Beechgrove replaced by the 114 Kingston Road East Bus.
- November 22, 1980 - 86B branch scaled back to Lawrence and Morningside. 86C branch renumbered to 86A. No routing changes.
- March 14, 1988 - Express service now provided between Kennedy Station and Sheppard, numbered 86C.
- February 18, 1990 - Route 114 Kingston Road East discontinued, service to Beechgrove reinstated, numbered, 86D.
- February 14, 2000 - 86C branch renumbered to 86E.
- June 19, 2005 - Route made accessible.
- May 8, 2011 - Due to system-wide service cuts, service is removed on the 86D branch after 7pm on weekdays and Saturdays, and all day on Sundays and Holidays.
- June 22, 2014 - Branch 86 has been changed to 86C due to a system-wide reorganization of route branch designations.
- January 7, 2019 - 86E has been replaced with its own route, 986 Scarborough Express
Previous route maps
This route has 4 branches:
- 86A Kennedy Station - Toronto Zoo
- 86B Kennedy Station - Highland Creek
- 86C Kennedy Station - Sheppard
- 86D Kennedy Station - Beechgrove via Lawrence
Overnight service is provided by 334 Eglinton East on Eglinton Avenue East and on Kingston Road east of Morningside Avenue. The rest of the route does not have overnight service, however, the route operates until 1:00 AM every day.
Buses that can appear on 86 Scarborough include Nova Bus LFS .