Toronto Transit Commission route 6 'Bay'
|Number of Branches||2|
|Distance||11.98km (Dupont - Queens Quay & Sherbourne)|
10.02km (Bloor - Queens Quay & Sherbourne)
|Types of vehicles used||Orion VII NG HEV , Orion VII HEV|
6 Bay is a bus route operated by the Toronto Transit Commission in Toronto, Ontario, Canada.
This route services Bay Street. It also provides service on Queens Quay between Bay Street and Lower Sherbourne Street and the George Brown College Waterfront Campus. Northern terminals include Dupont Street for branch 6A and Davenport Road and Yonge Street for branch 6B. There is one southern terminal, which is Queens Quay and Sherbourne Street. Branch 6B only operates during the rush hours on weekdays.
- February 28, 1963 - Route begins operation. Route runs along Bay Street from Dupont to the Ferry Docks.
- February 28, 1966 - New 6A and 6B branches created. 6A operated occasional short turns from Dupont to Front, while 6B operated rush hours only from Bloor to the Ferry Docks.
- December 7, 1970 - New 6C branch created. 6C operated rush hours only from Bloor to the Ferry Docks via Harbour and Yonge. Branch 6A service modified to operate rush hours and middays only.
- April 16, 1972 - Southern loops rearranged. Branch 6 modified to operate midday to York via Ferry Docks. Branch 6A modified to operate daily to Jarvis via Ferry Docks. Branch 6B modified to operate occasional short turns from Bloor to York via Ferry Docks. Branch 6C modified to operate occasional short turns from Bloor to Jarvis via Ferry Docks.
- June 25, 1973 - Branches 6B and 6C modified at northern end to operate via Davenport, Yonge, Yorkville.
- June 24, 1974 - All branches extended to Jarvis.
- March 14, 1976 - Moved from St. Clair (Wychwood) Division to Lansdowne Division.
- September 5, 1976 - Became trolleybus route. Branch 6 operated daily from Dupont to Jarvis via Ferry Docks. Branch 6A operated rush hours only from Bloor to Jarvis via Ferry Docks. Branch 6B operated rush hours only from Bloor to Front. Branch 6C operated occasional short turns from Front to Jarvis via Ferry Docks. Branch 6D operated occasional short turns from Dundas to Jarvis. Branch 6E operated rush hours only from Dupont to Dundas.
- September 6, 1987 - Service split in half due to Harbourfront LRT construction. Trolleybuses operated between Dupont and Front, with additional service between Bloor and Dundas. Buses operated between Front and Jarvis.
- June 23, 1990 - Full trolleybus service resumes after Harbourfront LRT opening.
- January 18, 1992 - Trolleybus service ends.
- September 2, 1992 - Trolleybus service reinstated due to leased trolleybuses from Edmonton still available.
- July 16, 1993 - Trolleybus service ends permanently.
- November 21, 1993 - Branch 6F to Front modified to operate via Front, Yonge, Lake Shore.
- February 18, 1996 - Service removed after 10pm on weekdays and 6pm on weekends due to system-wide cuts.
- February 14, 2000 - Branches revised. Branch 6 modified to operate daily from Dupont to Jarvis via Ferry Docks. Branch 6A modified to operate rush hours only between Bloor and Front. Branch 6B modified to operate rush hours only between Bloor and Dundas.
- March 26, 2006 - Service span extended to operate to 10:45pm on weekdays and 7:30pm on weekends.
- November 23, 2008 - Route service extended to 1:00am.
- November 23, 2008 - Moved to newly-opened Mount Dennis Division.
- September 6, 2010 - Route made accessible and bike-rack equipped.
- May 9, 2011 - Service removed after 10pm on Sundays and Holidays due to system-wide cuts.
- July 27, 2012 - Branch 6B eliminated. Branch 6A service increased to compensate for 6B elimination and extended to Jarvis.
- August 15, 2012 - Service extended from Jarvis to Sherbourne to serve the East Bayfront neighbourhood and George Brown College. Both branches looped temporarily via Knapp Lane due to new roads not open yet.
- September 2, 2012 - New branch 6C created. 6C operated daily between Union Station and Sherbourne due to Union Station construction and East Bayfront demand.
- September 10, 2012 - Sherbourne Loop modified to operate via Dockside and Queens Quay.
- May 10, 2013 - Branch 6C eliminated due to service improvements along the whole route.
- June 22, 2014 - Branch 6A to Davenport and Yonge has been changed to 6B due to a system-wide reorganization of route branch designations.
- May 10, 2015 - Branch 6 to Dupont has been changed to 6A due to a system-wide reorganization of route branch designations.
- September 6, 2015 - Due to a system-wide improvement, Sunday late evening services are restored. All service operates to 1:00am.
Previous route maps
This route has 2 branches:
- 6A Dupont - Queens Quay and Sherbourne
- 6B Bloor (Davenport/Yonge) - Queens Quay and Sherbourne
Overnight service is not provided, however, this route operates until 1:00 AM every day.
- https://transit.toronto.on.ca/bus/routes/6-bay.shtml TransitToronto. Retrieved 15 February 2018.