Toronto Transit Commission route 116 'Morningside'
|Number of Branches||1|
|Distance||18.17km (Kennedy Station - Finch)|
|Blue Night||334 Eglinton East|
|Types of vehicles used||Nova Bus LFS HEV , Orion VII NG HEV|
116 Morningside is a bus route operated by the Toronto Transit Commission in Toronto, Ontario, Canada.
This route services Morningside Avenue between Guildwood Parkway and Oasis Boulevard, Guildwood Parkway, and Eglinton Avenue east of Kennedy Road. It also serves the Morningside Heights neighbourhood. The southern terminal is Kennedy Station and the northern terminal is Finch Avenue East for its one branch, 116.
This route has 1 branch:
- 116 Kennedy Station - Finch
- 116A Kennedy Station - Conlins Rd via Ellesmere (June 1991-May 2021)
- 116B Kennedy Station - Kingston Rd & Eglinton (October 2011-May 2021)
- 116C Kennedy Station - Finch (June 2014-May 2021)
- September 3, 1989 - Service begins replacing the 34B Eglinton East branch, which originally operated from Eglinton Station to Finch Avenue via Morningside.
- June 19, 2005 - Route made accessible.
- November 23, 2008 - Service extended until 1:00am every day on all branches with new off-peak service added on branches 116A to Conlins and 116E to U of T Scarborough and Conlins.
- January 4, 2009 - With road widening and expansion complete around the CPR underpass north of Old Finch Avenue, branch 116 is extended north from the former off-street loop at Old Finch Avenue to Finch Avenue East and the Morningside Heights neighbourhood. Buses loop counterclockwise via Staines Road, Mantis Road, Nightstar Road, and Morningside Avenue.
- May 8, 2011 - Due to system-wide service cuts, service is removed on branches 116A and 116E after 10pm on weekdays and all day on weekends.
- October 11, 2011 - New westbound supplemental service on Eglinton Avenue East begins and is designated branch 116B. The 116B branch name is only used internally to differentiate trips that short turn at Markham Road. Eastbound trips on this branch deadhead to Markham Road and return westbound using the 116 branch display.
- January 6, 2014 - Branch 116B is formally recognized as a short turn branch. Service on the branch is increased and extended east to Kingston Road to replace the rush hour 34 Eglinton East branch to Kingston Road.
- June 22, 2014 - Eastbound 116 branch buses to Finch is redesignated 116C due to a system-wide reorganization of route branch designations.
- September 2, 2014 - Express branch 116E to U of T Scarborough is replaced by the new 198 U of T Scarborough Rocket .
- May 10, 2015 - Route is added to the Ten Minute Network. With service increases during the late evening periods every day, service between Kennedy Station and Finch will operate at intervals of ten minutes or better whenever the subway is open.
- May 11, 2020 - Due to reduced ridership during the COVID-19 pandemic, short turn branch 116B to Kingston Rd and Eglinton is temporarily suspended.
- September 10, 2020 - BYD K9M buses introduced to route, completing the rollout of all three series of battery-electric buses ordered for the head-to-head comparison
- October 11, 2020 - Dedicated rapid bus lanes were rolled out along Eglinton Avenue East, Kingston Road, and Morningside Avenue between Brimley Road and U of T Scarborough, as part of a project to decrease travel times within the Kennedy Station - UTSC corridor. Route 116 services utilize the entire length of the rapid lanes, with the exception of the Kingston Road section between Guildwood Parkway and Morningside Avenue.
- March 28, 2021 - This route was transferred to Malvern upon the opening of the brand new McNicoll Division.
- May 9, 2021 - Branch 116A is cancelled with service replaced by a redesigned route 905. Short turn branch 116B is eliminated with all service on this route operating to Finch Avenue East. Branch 116C is redesignated as 116.
Overnight service is provided by 334 Eglinton East along Eglinton Avenue East between Kennedy Road and Kingston Road, and Morningside Avenue between Kingston Road and Ellesmere Road. The rest of the route does not have overnight service, however, the route operates until 1:00 AM every day.
Previous route maps
|Kennedy Station||116||Walking connection to Kennedy GO Station|
|Eglinton Ave. East @ Brimley Rd.||116|
|Eglinton Ave. East @ Bellamy Rd.||116||Walking connection to Eglinton GO Station|
|Eglinton Ave. East @ Markham Rd.||116|
|Eglinton Ave. East @ Kingston Rd.||116|
|Kingston Rd. @ Guildwood Pkwy.||116|
|Morningside Ave. @ Lawrence Ave. East||116|
|Morningside Ave. @ Ellesmere Rd.||116|
|Morningside Ave. @ Sheppard Ave. East||116|
|Morningside Ave. @ Old Finch Ave.||116|
|Morningside Ave. @ Finch Ave. East||116|
|Mantis Rd. @ Nightstar Rd.||116|
- 116 Morningside TransitToronto. Retrieved 16 February 2018.