GO Transit

Enzo Aquarius

I find the DDs annoying too, as a person with ears. I don't know if there are any plans to 86 the remaining MCIs but I hope they pump on the brakes on them if they are. The difference in ride quality between the two models is astonishing.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, T3G said:

I find the DDs annoying too, as a person with ears. I don't know if there are any plans to 86 the remaining MCIs but I hope they pump on the brakes on them if they are. The difference in ride quality between the two models is astonishing.

An idea not sure how valid this would be. Because the motor coach Market is pretty limited, Why not start going for Transit style coaches like Nova or New Flyer for some roots and shift the motor coaches to the busier routes. Again not sure how valid this idea would be.

17 minutes ago, G.A said:

An idea not sure how valid this would be. Because the motor coach Market is pretty limited, Why not start going for Transit style coaches like Nova or New Flyer for some roots and shift the motor coaches to the busier routes. Again not sure how valid this idea would be.

You lose capacity. Both because they're LF and 40ft in length. So you'll have a greater operating cost to compensate. 

I wonder if there's a market for high floor transit buses like the D40S. I actually wish there was. Instead of school bus type coaches. 

Don't get me wrong, you'll lose some capacity with the MCI D45 CRT LE , but at least you can still have storage. And more in line with your existing fleet. 

GO wants a low-floor entry; reason is because the ramps are so much quicker, safer, and more reliable than the lifts required for high-floor buses/coaches.

Having a high-floor transit bus (which doesn't exactly exist on the market anymore) doesn't provide any benefits to accessibility, while it downgrades the ride quality from a coach bus.

Personally, I’d love to see some GO Suburban Nova 40ft buses, or some 60ft Nova/New Flyers without the centre door, like Airdrie, Alberta, with coach-style seats obviously.

If they go with coaches, D45 CRT LE with a toilet (finally, please)… since Greyhound isn’t here to provide that luxury.

7 minutes ago, TTC_1203 said:

Personally, I’d love to see some GO Suburban Nova 40ft buses, or some 60ft Nova/New Flyers without the centre door, like Airdrie, Alberta, with coach-style seats obviously.

If they go with coaches, D45 CRT LE with a toilet (finally, please)… since Greyhound isn’t here to provide that luxury.

Before the COVID-19 pandemic, OCTA in California, a system that I did ride several times due to family ties, had coach-style seating on C40LFRs that did intercity runs between the suburbs of Orange County and Los Angeles during rush hour... I think that this could work on routes like the 92 that have a lot of local sections, to reduce dwell times. And maybe bring back DRT/GO interchangeability.

• Like 2

On 7/18/2023 at 6:53 PM, Orion V said:

General Superlo question.

Does anyone know if it's possible to extend the lower level seating all the way back to where the "normal" rear is or is the low height not possible to put seats that far back?

I actually don’t think you could. On the DDLs the head room on the seats over the rear wheels was already very limited. The SuperLos have less headroom on the lower deck than the DDLs, and I’d think that it would be uncomfortable to sit over the rear wheels for most people.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Gil said:

Would anything prevent a single person using the 2-person e-ticket on a weekday? Going to Niagara Falls would be cheaper with the 2-person e-ticket than paying for a single trip both ways.

Purchasing it, no. But if you run into a transit operator, they may deny you boarding and make you pay the regular fare. On-board the train, if the revenue protection officer conducts an inspection and sees only one person using the weekday pass with only one person, then they may issue a ticket for not using the correct fare.

Though, if you magically find someone who is doing the same itinerary, then you will be fine if they don't buy a ticket. 

6 hours ago, GTAmissions1 said:

Purchasing it, no. But if you run into a transit operator, they may deny you boarding and make you pay the regular fare. On-board the train, if the revenue protection officer conducts an inspection and sees only one person using the weekday pass with only one person, then they may issue a ticket for not using the correct fare.

Though, if you magically find someone who is doing the same itinerary, then you will be fine if they don't buy a ticket. 

Sorry, other person got sick? Other person didn't make it on the train?

Years ago when I went to Scotland, it was cheaper to buy a round trip from Glasgow to Aberdeen (and back), and another one from Thurso to Glasgow (and back), and throw away the return journey.

If you set up a perverse fare structure, you get perverse passengers.

Not being from the GTA or living there, are the GO Coaches(Highway)are the luggage compartments under the coach really used that often? Maybe the Toronto-Hamilton Express might(this is only speculation on my part)if not the then the D45 CRT LE would be good for a commuter coach.

27 minutes ago, MCIBUS said:

Not being from the GTA or living there, are the GO Coaches(Highway)are the luggage compartments under the coach really used that often? Maybe the Toronto-Hamilton Express might(this is only speculation on my part)if not the then the D45 CRT LE would be good for a commuter coach.

The luggage bays are used quite often. 90% of the time that I go on a trip using the GO Bus, the luggage bays are used.

36 minutes ago, MCIBUS said:

This model eliminates 17 seats off the standard 57 seat D4500 (before the 2 wheelchair seats were fleet wide removed). That will make each GO D45 CRT LE have only 40 seats.

At this rate you might as well buy the cheaper Xcelsior or LFS with 1 door and make have suburban style seats or stay with the DDs since the D45 CRT LE has the higher capital cost, higher fuel consumption, higher operating cost with the lower carrying capacity of a transit bus and the lower maneuverability of a 45ft bus. Almost like the worst of all worlds just to have easier wheelchair access and greater highway comfort for regular passengers.

• Like 1

I rarely see the DDs use their luggage racks. Maybe people just bring them into the bus since it's low floor. Everytime I've seen route 40 people carry the luggages on board instead of putting it over that horrible over the wheel storage in the back. And I don't see drivers even opening that storeage for people.

4 hours ago, Cityflyer said:

This model eliminates 17 seats off the standard 57 seat D4500 (before the 2 wheelchair seats were fleet wide removed). That will make each GO D45 CRT LE have only 40 seats.

At this rate you might as well buy the cheaper Xcelsior or LFS with 1 door and make have suburban style seats or stay with the DDs since the D45 CRT LE has the higher capital cost, higher fuel consumption, higher operating cost with the lower carrying capacity of a transit bus and the lower maneuverability of a 45ft bus. Almost like the worst of all worlds just to have easier wheelchair access and greater highway comfort for regular passengers.

The problem with LF, is the lack of luggage racks. Or they can do what they've done in the past, and use LF buses in certain routes, and regular coaches for the rest of region. But I don't see GO transit going LF. Maybe if they serve local areas like Grmsby and other smaller cities. But they'll have to suck it up and get the CRT LE or keep what they're doing with the D45 coach or Prevo equivalent. 

If I recall, halifax did the LF with the highway coach seating but ha luggage racks above the seats? I think maybe TTCs and STMs airport route buses have these luggage racks as well? So if im correct it is definitely possible.

Saw a Mount Pleasant train bound for Union At Bloor today and it was crush load. A fair number of bikes got off at Bloor as well including riders that was higher than normal 

No parking spot to be have at Port Credit Station with car parked where they shouldn't be.

Taking the GO is the better way as the Gardiner, Lake Shore and the Queensway were parking lots west of the Humber at 4 pm

Whenever they close the train (eg. this weekend Lakeshore East line) and replace it with shuttle buses, are there actual schedules one can look at their arrivals or they just come and go like TTC subway shuttle buses? Are these buses frequent?

4 minutes ago, Orion V said:

Whenever they close the train (eg. this weekend Lakeshore East line) and replace it with shuttle buses, are there actual schedules one can look at their arrivals or they just come and go like TTC subway shuttle buses? Are these buses frequent?

GO does have a set schedule for the shuttle buses, and they will be viewable on GO's website. It even gets uploaded for tracking sites like Transsee.

Typically for previous Lakeshore East shuttles, there will be 2-3 90B shuttle buses depart in each direction every 30 minutes (3 shuttles inbound during the morning, 3 outbound during the late afternoon and early evening; 2 buses the rest of the time), with buses spaced about 5 mins apart.

• Thanks 2