TTC CLRV/ALRV updates and discussion

3 hours ago, Bus_Medic said:

I wouldn’t take the CBC article so literally.

Ah, I reread it more closely.  I thought at first the bit about parting out one of the two working ALRVs that ran today was an attributed quote, which would mean it was direct from someone at TTC, but it wasn’t which is a good thing in this case.  I don’t take the CBC or most other media too seriously as a matter of course.  Believe half of what you read and none of what you see and all that...

Anyhow, here’s a picture of 4204 at the end of the line.  The last 31 years sure went by fast.

9C8A2B5A-B7CD-45AC-A586-259A1546BF15.jpeg

• Like 8

According to two operators who I spoke to at Russell they have heard rumours that 4003 and 4010 will be going to Halton. One of the operators said that 4003 is done and won’t go back into service. Also the TTC may look into preserving 4001.

Anyways, 4146, 4249, 4228, 4230 and 4221 are parked on the most west track. Followed by 4204 4207 and and some CLRV which I don’t remember the numbers of. 4171, 4135, an unknown CLRV and 4010 4003 (pole is down) are parked on the next track. Finally 4052 (pole down), 4190 (turned off and pole was up), 4189 and 4164 were parked on the last track with turned off Vehicles.03902EF1-0172-4B31-9A02-5FA34A8E3121.thumb.jpeg.42fae3e491b274f6501ffd97f1cf85c1.jpeg8A47CCC6-C492-49E7-BCEE-6D32040ABB64.thumb.jpeg.51855e8a8f649e9e578826702d549958.jpeg92AC9DB7-04F0-4DDA-9FC3-773E09DCBD3B.thumb.jpeg.e8af34a9040f0088bba13c67bcba99d0.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

Thank you to everyone who has supplied ALRV sightings and information over these last 4 years. You have made it possible for us to keep a very complete record of ALRV disposals.

The remaining 6 will remain marked as active until such time as decisions are made on their disposition. If a vehicle is confirmed to be stripped or given away for heritage use, it will be marked as retired. Whatever car stays in Toronto will remain marked as an active historical vehicle.

4204 had a builder's plate from 4240.

• Like 3
  • Sad 4

9 minutes ago, Xtrazsteve said:

They had a pusher truck and a pusher car (the CLRVs) behind each ALRV. The one behind 4204 was in service, the other one wan't. They are really afraid they'll break down.

Small note: they only had one service truck. 312 originally followed 4207 on its first trip from Wolesley Loop; it later followed 4204 on the last round trip.

• Like 3

On 9/1/2019 at 11:16 AM, TTC Guy said:

As a short turn destination

I see I have to be more explicit.

If Ossington is used as a short turn for an eastbound 506, it would send the cars to eastbound Dundas, where at Bathurst to turn either south (not very useful) or north (to Bathurst station).

If Ossington is used as a short turn for a westbound 506, it would have to proceed through the intersection, then back up down Ossington and onto westbound Dundas, at which point I guess it could proceed to Lansdowne.

Neither of these scenarios make very much operational sense. I don't see why the rollsigns would need to include them.

On 9/1/2019 at 11:50 AM, PCC Guy said:

The only possible answer that comes to mind is if there was a blockage that prevented the car from continuing further west on Dundas and it had to immediately turn onto Ossington, and there was, at the same time, a closure west of Dundas/College. I suspect they could use Lansdowne loop to turn around and return east, but if there was a blockage on Dundas they would have to use eastbound College until Ossington. To a customer, it would be more immediately useful to indicate that the car only continues on Dundas as far as Ossington.

What I can't figure out is how a 506 Ossington short turn would look. The track geometry only allows them to turn from College onto Ossington east to south. There is no south to west switch at Dundas and Ossington, and no north to west switch at College and Bathurst if that was the short turn that they had in mind.

Looking through the rollsign destinations available on the legacy fleet is really fascinating. The fact that they not only have a 506 Ossington, but also a 506 Dundas West Station, but not a 505 High Park, is puzzling.

The 505 did in fact use Ossington as a long-term detour when the water or sewer mains on Dundas, further west, were being rebuilt. I think this was in the 1990s. I don't definitely recall a similar long-term detour for 506 cars eastbound, but I could be forgetting it. I know I've ridden on regular service cars that used Ossington on their regularly scheduled route.

And as has been posted by others, late-evening Carlton cars have used Dundas West loop instead of High Park loop for decades. I think that in the earlier days, they were indeed signed 506 DUNDAS WEST STATION. At some point, to avoid confusion I guess, the switchover to night service was done at the same time as the terminus changed.

11 hours ago, Xtrazsteve said:

They had a pusher truck and a pusher car (the CLRVs) behind each ALRV. The one behind 4204 was in service, the other one wan't. They are really afraid they'll break down.

Yeah, so it seems. I'm glad they both made it back under their own power.

54 minutes ago, Ed T. said:

Neither of these scenarios make very much operational sense. I don't see why the rollsigns would need to include them.

The funny thing is that I’ve heard of an operator getting this turn going westbound. When the operator got to Ossington, he made the supervisor look dumb because the supervisor forgot that there was no physical was to turn south onto Ossington heading westbound. The operator was told to continue to Lansdowne lol

The 505 did in fact use Ossington as a long-term detour when the water or sewer mains on Dundas, further west, were being rebuilt. I think this was in the 1990s. I don't definitely recall a similar long-term detour for 506 cars eastbound, but I could be forgetting it. I know I've ridden on regular service cars that used Ossington on their regularly scheduled route.

The 506 used the detour I believe in the mid 2000s. I remember taking the detour. I don’t recall if it was an Ossington, Dundas, Bay or Spadina, Dundas, Bay detour. But either of the two were convenient for getting to the Yonge line in the morning 

And as has been posted by others, late-evening Carlton cars have used Dundas West loop instead of High Park loop for decades. I think that in the earlier days, they were indeed signed 506 DUNDAS WEST STATION. At some point, to avoid confusion I guess, the switchover to night service was done at the same time as the terminus changed.

I may be wrong, but I do know that if there were to be any rail work of any kind to be done, 506 cars could either go to Dundas West Stn, or turn back at Lansdowne and replace service with buses (the latter is redundant to the quote, but it was worth the effort)

On 9/1/2019 at 12:23 PM, TTC Guy said:

‘506 Dundas West Stn’ is used by the 306 if the driver can’t find the ‘306 Dundas West Stn’ sign. It is also used for Detours due to accidents and in the past construction on Howard Park Ave and in High Park Loop 

Just a general question here, but is it often difficult to divert 506 cars to Dundas West Station due to the streetcar stops being full due to the 504 cars and 505 buses or any other reasons?

The reason I ask this is because on Saturday there was a collision between 2 autos at Parkside and Howard Park and the 506 cars were being turned back at Lansdowne instead of Dundas West Station. I just thought they would be routed to Dundas West instead since the accident wasn’t preventing the cars from getting to the station. 

44 minutes ago, CLRV4002 said:

Just a general question here, but is it often difficult to divert 506 cars to Dundas West Station due to the streetcar stops being full due to the 504 cars and 505 buses or any other reasons?

The reason I ask this is because on Saturday there was a collision between 2 autos at Parkside and Howard Park and the 506 cars were being turned back at Lansdowne instead of Dundas West Station. I just thought they would be routed to Dundas West instead since the accident wasn’t preventing the cars from getting to the station. 

Exactly that! I’ve wondered the same thing, but rather than cause chaos for 3 lines, cut the 506 back and leave the 504/505 be in their own madness

• Like 1

For a few weeks from late September to mid October 2004 (October 16 to be exact), the 506 was operated by buses during the College St. track construction from Ossington Station to Exhibition loop. Northbound/westbound buses from the EX operated along the the majority of the regular 511 route to College, then w/b along College to Ossignton and n/b along Ossington to Ossignton Station. Buses were signed as 506 OSSINGTON (and 511 EXHIBITION for the reverse trip to the EX). The original routing was from Wolseley loop-Ossington Stn but it was extended to the EX due to long layovers at Wolseley. Eglinton and Queensway operated this route and I remember seeing the new Orion VIIs (eg. 7521, 7576) in operation.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CLRV4002 said:

Some of those 506 cars did get routed to Dundas West.

IMG_5700 copy.jpg

• Thanks 5

There are 3 Flexity cars on the 506 this morning. I thought they would be allocated to Bathurst first before the 506. The 511 is still 100% CLRV. Does anyone know why this is the case and if the 506 will continue to get more new streetcars before the 511 ?? 

I thought perhaps the Flexities were used in place of the replacement buses during rush hour, but yesterday one stayed out for the entire day. 

• Sad 1