TTC CLRV/ALRV updates and discussion

"A Streetcar Named Toronto" project has been launched to honour the retirement of the CLRV. In partnership with CityFund the exterior and interior of 4178 has been transformed into a colorful work of art created by local Toronto artists. The plan is to have the vehicle run on 506 during the week, 501 for limited weekend service and 511 during Nuit Blanche on October 5. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Genius101 said:

"A Streetcar Named Toronto" project has been launched to honour the retirement of the CLRV. In partnership with CityFund the exterior and interior of 4178 has been transformed into a colorful work of art created by local Toronto artists. The plan is to have the vehicle run on 506 during the week, 501 for limited weekend service and 511 during Nuit Blanche on October 5. 

And, it will be at Roncesvalles on public display tomorrow!

9 hours ago, CLRV4094 said:

And, it will be at Roncesvalles on public display tomorrow!

4098 sitting out of service on Lansdowne last night around 11 PM, with the service truck behind it.

Also someone had a tripod out at Gerrard and Broadview, I assume a fan getting night pics.

On 9/25/2019 at 7:43 PM, PCC Guy said:

Anybody know what would be the best spot for catching the last CLRVs for photo ops?

Woolsey Loop just north of Queen and Bathurst as well is another good place to get a few good photos of the CN tower in the background. Neville Park Loop is another place to get good photos and on the old trailer track which is now a siding at Humber Loop

24 minutes ago, John Oke said:

Woolsey Loop just north of Queen and Bathurst as well is another good place to get a few good photos of the CN tower in the background. Neville Park Loop is another place to get good photos and on the old trailer track which is now a siding at Humber Loop

Queen is fully Flexitys now, so definitely not Neville Park or Humber, except for perhaps 4178 which apparently is to do limited 501 service on weekends.

• Like 3

Also the locations I listed are places where revenue service is regular. It's possible that you might see a 511 short turn at Wolseley, but setting up camp with the expectation that one will is foolhardy.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 43 Kennedy said:

Queen is fully Flexitys now, so definitely not Neville Park or Humber, except for perhaps 4178 which apparently is to do limited 501 service on weekends.

With Queen/Kingston construction, no streetcars will be seen at Neville Park until sometime in November at all. 

In general, I think it’s good to look at planned diversions for the 506 and 511 to see where you can find them off route. Yesterday for example, many 506 cars were diverted onto King for hours due to the crowds near University Ave. 

1 hour ago, Ed T. said:

4098 sitting out of service on Lansdowne last night around 11 PM, with the service truck behind it.

Also someone had a tripod out at Gerrard and Broadview, I assume a fan getting night pics.

It seems to have done a couple more runs after that and stayed out until around 2:30 AM. It’s going back in service now as well. 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Matthew TTC 4120 said:

Also MIA 4094 is in service on 511 today.

According to one of the drivers on the charter last weekend, the reason for 4094's erratic dispatch pattern is because of the VISION system. No one really likes VISION, so as a result of that the car doesn't get out much.

• Thanks 8

3 hours ago, Wayside Observer said:

Good.

Now, is it just me or don't the vibrant colours on 4178 bring to mind how 4000 was painted back in 1984?

A handful of the SIG CLRVs and PCC were all painted if I can remember from the pics I saw floating around on the interweb 

59 minutes ago, splendidwizardplayer said:

Like this?

IMG_20190930_173920730_BURST000_COVER_TOP.jpg

Exactly! By the looks of it, 2 PCCs (4536 & 4545) sported similar paint jobs as 4002, while 4000 & 4005 sported two completely different paint jobs. The trucks were all painted on all of the cars as well

7 minutes ago, Downsview 108 said:

They painted Gloucesters 5098/99 as well for that 1984 celebration. that's why those two cars have the numbers higher up on the door pockets.

The Year of Celebration Special.  I always thought the lettering for that added a bit too much yellow to those two cars.  That paint job is also why 5098-99 were in relatively good shape in late 1990 when they were retired when the other cars that lasted until close to the end were getting pretty sad and shabby in places on the outside by 89/99.

It always struck me how in the dying days of the Gloucesters how the interiors were always pretty good but the age and impending replacement of those trains was belied by the tired state of the exterior paint.  One of the last times I saw a G train in late summer 1990, the interior was all lit up and clean but the outside of the train was in sad shape and I somehow intuitively knew, couldn’t deny it any longer, that the handful remaining Gloucesters didn’t have long left.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Wayside Observer said:

The Year of Celebration Special.  I always thought the lettering for that added a bit too much yellow to those two cars.  That paint job is also why 5098-99 were in relatively good shape in late 1990 when they were retired when the other cars that lasted until close to the end were getting pretty sad and shabby in places on the outside by 89/99.

It always struck me how in the dying days of the Gloucesters how the interiors were always pretty good but the age and impending replacement of those trains was belied by the tired state of the exterior paint.  One of the last times I saw a G train in late summer 1990, the interior was all lit up and clean but the outside of the train was in sad shape and I somehow intuitively knew, couldn’t deny it any longer, that the handful remaining Gloucesters didn’t have long left.

It's crazy how fast the exteriors deteriorate when they either stop washing them or whatever. I can see why they stopped but that made no difference considering the state of the H6s and T1s on the BD about a decade ago. Last time I saw those Gs was in 87 so I don't remember them being in bad shape.