TTC CLRV/ALRV updates and discussion

On 9/2/2019 at 7:56 PM, PCC Guy said:

Thank you to everyone who has supplied ALRV sightings and information over these last 4 years. You have made it possible for us to keep a very complete record of ALRV disposals.

The remaining 6 will remain marked as active until such time as decisions are made on their disposition. If a vehicle is confirmed to be stripped or given away for heritage use, it will be marked as retired. Whatever car stays in Toronto will remain marked as an active historical vehicle.

4204 had a builder's plate from 4240.

Is the last day in service for 4208 and 4210 posted anywhere? The others I have but not those two. Thanks!

Just now, Robert Lubinski said:

Is the last day in service for 4208 and 4210 posted anywhere? The others I have but not those two. Thanks!

Unfortunately, I have no information on those two cars. The bulk of the last operated dates I pulled together (supplied on the wiki; if your notes contradict anything I posted on there feel free to let me know) were from the last recorded trips on TransSee. Vehicle history was only implemented as of May 15, 2018; both 4208 and 4210 had already disappeared from service by that point.

• Thanks 1

Currently 7 Flexity streetcars on the 506. Seems like Carlton is getting them prior to Bathurst.

From what I heard, the CLRV official retirement will take place likely on Queen. So in their final days, they will probably be found only on Bathurst and Queen. I heard the end of the CLRV will take place on a weekend or weekends(plural) in December. 

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, CLRV4002 said:

Currently 7 Flexity streetcars on the 506. Seems like Carlton is getting them prior to Bathurst.

From what I heard, the CLRV official retirement will take place likely on Queen. So in their final days, they will probably be found only on Bathurst and Queen. I heard the end of the CLRV will take place on a weekend or weekends(plural) in December. 

3 of the 7 are definitely RAD cars. The 24 remaining runs out of the 28 regular runs are still CLRVs

Edit: due to the demonstration at Yonge St earlier, 3 RAD cars must’ve been swapped with regular cars as there were only 4 cars scheduled from the morning on Carlton

• Like 4

I saw 4021 on Carlton actually on Carlton (at Jarvis) this afternoon on my way to work.

Continuing south and crossing Queen St was kind of surreal knowing that there’ll never be the sight of an ALRV snaking its way down the tracks again outside of special events.  At least they’re keeping one though and there will be special events; nobody’s seen an eight car train of Gloucesters prowling through the subway tunnels since 1990 and we’ll never, ever get to experience that again at all.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Genius101 said:

Once all the remaining CLRVs get decommissioned will Russell carhouse start housing the Flexities right away or is the division going to get a major overhaul just like Roncy? 

Didn't they redo the overheads at Russell last year? I imagine they would just store Flexity's not do any work on them because they don't fit in the old maintenance bays from what I remember hearing.

10 hours ago, Genius101 said:

Once all the remaining CLRVs get decommissioned will Russell carhouse start housing the Flexities right away or is the division going to get a major overhaul just like Roncy? 

In March of this year, the TTC included something called the LRV Carhouse Facility Renewal Program in the budget. (2019-2028 Captial Budget project #6097). Part of this includes a new sand silo and delivery system at Russell, which was raised at the last board meeting. 

https://www.ttc.ca/About_the_TTC/Commission_reports_and_information/Commission_meetings/2019/July_10/Reports/6_Russell_Carhouse_LFLRV_Sand_Silo_and_Delivery_System.pdf

I assume the capital budget contains more details regarding what needs to be done at carhouses in the next 9 years  

12 hours ago, Genius101 said:

There has been work ongoing at Roncy since February of last year. It is supposed to be done by the end of this year, at which point they can start hosting Flexities en masse.

Dan

7 hours ago, CLRV4002 said:

In March of this year, the TTC included something called the LRV Carhouse Facility Renewal Program in the budget. (2019-2028 Captial Budget project #6097). Part of this includes a new sand silo and delivery system at Russell, which was raised at the last board meeting. 

https://www.ttc.ca/About_the_TTC/Commission_reports_and_information/Commission_meetings/2019/July_10/Reports/6_Russell_Carhouse_LFLRV_Sand_Silo_and_Delivery_System.pdf

I assume the capital budget contains more details regarding what needs to be done at carhouses in the next 9 years  

The report you linked to highlights an inconsistency in language that’s puzzled me. The carhouses in Toronto have always been called that, carhouses eg. Russell Carhouse.  How did Leslie start out as an MSF as the Leslie Maintenance and Storage Facility and then become the Leslie Barns when neither of those ways of phrasing it were ever in Toronto parlance?

On 9/4/2019 at 6:11 PM, CLRV4002 said:

Tbh while I don't want Carlton to get Flexities before Bathurst, it's the route with the higher ridership, it gets the Flexities. It just makes sense, as for CLRVs on Queen, there's none, what are you talking about?

3 minutes ago, CLRV4094 said:

as for CLRVs on Queen, there's none, what are you talking about?

On 9/4/2019 at 6:11 PM, CLRV4002 said:

From what I heard, the CLRV official retirement will take place likely on Queen. So in their final days, they will probably be found only on Bathurst and Queen.

• Confused 1

44 minutes ago, CLRV4094 said:

Tbh while I don't want Carlton to get Flexities before Bathurst, it's the route with the higher ridership, it gets the Flexities. It just makes sense, as for CLRVs on Queen, there's none, what are you talking about?

Technically Bathurst got Flexities first before Carlton. There first appearance on 511 was way back in the summer of 2015 during the Pam AM games and have been running every summer during the CNE. Their debut on the 506 was just this past winter when the extreme cold grounded the entire legacy fleet forcing the low floors to operate on Carlton. 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, JWC said:

I saw it on the flatbed too.  For the very first time headlights were intact!

Probably because 4135 was the one that caught partically on fire at College and Bay not long ago. It was probably a rushed retirement due to that event.

• Thanks 4

On 9/4/2019 at 1:18 PM, PCC Guy said:

Unfortunately, I have no information on those two cars. The bulk of the last operated dates I pulled together (supplied on the wiki; if your notes contradict anything I posted on there feel free to let me know) were from the last recorded trips on TransSee. Vehicle history was only implemented as of May 15, 2018; both 4208 and 4210 had already disappeared from service by that point.

Thanks, I used the Transsee history data as well so we should be in line. I'll have to search my old notes, I think they might have been parked at the same time as all the "unrefurbed" cars.

18 hours ago, CLRV4094 said:

Probably because 4135 was the one that caught partically on fire at College and Bay not long ago. It was probably a rushed retirement due to that event.

It had a seized axle which they weren't going to bother repairing at this point so it was pretty much retired when it got back to the carhouse.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1