TTC CLRV/ALRV updates and discussion

7 hours ago, Downsview 108 said:

It's crazy how fast the exteriors deteriorate when they either stop washing them or whatever. I can see why they stopped but that made no difference considering the state of the H6s and T1s on the BD about a decade ago. Last time I saw those Gs was in 87 so I don't remember them being in bad shape.

Speaking of exteriors I looked at some photos of CLRVs I took in 2002-2003 and the fleet was just finishing all being repainted. They looked great, fresh paint on the body and clean, painted trucks. A few of the cars running today are still mostly wearing that paint job (looking at you 4050, 4103 and 4104). 4135, 4171, 4180 and 4190 were among the others still in that early 2000s paint that lasted until a couple of months ago.

• Like 7

Would anyone know the status of 4034 and 4039? I know they were last spotted at Hillcrest in August, but that was 2 months ago and I haven’t seen them since then. Maybe they are still at Hillcrest I and can’t read.

4127 is at Hillcrest, while 4132 last reported new data a couple of days ago.

• Thanks 3

12 hours ago, Robert Lubinski said:

Speaking of exteriors I looked at some photos of CLRVs I took in 2002-2003 and the fleet was just finishing all being repainted. They looked great, fresh paint on the body and clean, painted trucks. A few of the cars running today are still mostly wearing that paint job (looking at you 4050, 4103 and 4104). 4135, 4171, 4180 and 4190 were among the others still in that early 2000s paint that lasted until a couple of months ago.

I remember that. If I'm not mistaken, that's when they put those black numbers on the rear.

14 hours ago, Robert Lubinski said:

Yeah I did notice that about those 3, that they seem to have not been touched for awhile. Glad my suspicions were confimed. Especially 4103, which is in the worst condition of the 3 

22 hours ago, Downsview 108 said:

It's crazy how fast the exteriors deteriorate when they either stop washing them or whatever. I can see why they stopped but that made no difference considering the state of the H6s and T1s on the BD about a decade ago. Last time I saw those Gs was in 87 so I don't remember them being in bad shape.

Most of the deterioration is actually due to washing, rather than an absence of it. Exposure to sunlight is also a pretty powerful deterioration agent.

Dan

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Robert Lubinski said:

Dont forget 4004, 4029, 4049 and 4199 used to have the 2000s paint before they all retired this year.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, smallspy said:

Most of the deterioration is actually due to washing, rather than an absence of it. Exposure to sunlight is also a pretty powerful deterioration agent.

Also, to add to that, red dyes and pigments don't stand up to the ultraviolet content in sunlight very well at all.  Think about how fast red and white Canadian flags become pink and white outdoors unless they get changed frequently.  This means that due to the TTC's corporate colours, anything painted red takes a particularly hard beating due to purely environmental factors interacting with how delicate red paint pigments are.

Washing is deliberately nasty.  It has to be in order to clean effectively.  You need a certain amount of caustic ingredient and mild abrasive to get gunk off the surfaces being cleaned or it won't be effective at cleaning but the tradeoff is accelerated wear on the surfaces being washed vs. not being washed at all.  Back in the bad old days of the 1970s and deferred maintenance, the New York MTA stopped washing subway trains at one point to avoid wearing what was left of their paint jobs and accelerating rust and let dirt and grime accumulate hoping it'd protect protect the metal underneath to some extent.  I honestly don't know how effective the no-wash policy was at prolonging carbody life when regular painting wasn't being done but it's something the NYCTA did try.

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, lip said:

I dont see why they couldn't keep 2 ALRVs for spare parts. It's not like they're going to be running out of yard space anytime soon so it wouldnt really cost them.

This actually begs the question of why keeping parts units is necessary. Can't they just part out the remaining cars on property and send the empty hulks out to scrap? I'm sure there's a method to their madness but how come they need a full physical unit on hand at all?

I'm not sure what the situation is with yard space but considering how they're increasing frequencies on the night routes just to deal with a storage space shortage, I assume it's not as simple. That being said, I don't know where they plan to store the parts ALRV, maybe there is room up at Hillcrest for two.

This tracking website has a list of all the CLRVs that are still reporting GPS data, with information on when they were last seen. Useful, for compiling MIA units.

http://www.ttctracker.ca/clrvs.php

1 minute ago, John Oke said:

The following CLRV'S have been M.I.A. for 10+days or listed as "Not Found" on TTC Tracker

All of these units have been previously identified as MIA or marked as retired.

The following CLRV'S have been M.I.A. for 10+days or listed as "Not Found" on TTC Tracker

Update: after looking at a photo of mine from the ALRV farewell trip I can confirm that 4171 is retired and is in early stages of salvage and 4052 may be retired

DSCN2936.JPG

3 hours ago, John Oke said:

4001,4002,4003,4012,4030,4034,4039,4052?,4108,4121,4135,4150,4171,4180,4185,4189

Update: after looking at a photo of mine from the ALRV farewell trip I can confirm that 4171 is retired and is in early stages of salvage and 4052 may be retired

DSCN2936.JPG

I believe 4150 was hauled off property sometime in the summer. 

For future reference, there is a list of CLRVs on the first page of this thread where every car's present status is indicated. Both 4052 and 4171 have been marked as retired.

Does anyone know why they’re keeping 4178 out of service ? I’m assuming maybe they’ll start service with it tomorrow for Nuit Blanche. It’s supposed to be on the 511 tomorrow. I’m just wondering if it’s that or if something is wrong with the car since I thought it would be in service this week. 

6 minutes ago, CLRV4002 said:

Does anyone know why they’re keeping 4178 out of service ? I’m assuming maybe they’ll start service with it tomorrow for Nuit Blanche. It’s supposed to be on the 511 tomorrow. I’m just wondering if it’s that or if something is wrong with the car since I thought it would be in service this week. 

Apparently the paint job was not completed on it prior to the unveiling, and it needed to be returned to Hillcrest for final work. My understanding is that work was completed in the past day or so.

Dan

• Thanks 8

2 hours ago, Matthew TTC 4120 said:

It’s still currently sitting at Hillcrest. It’s stripped, and I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s being parted out for 4001 4002 and 4003.

4002 is also being parted out. 4001 and 4003 appear to be the ones they are saving for sure.

• Thanks 6
  • Sad 3