Durham Region Transit

DRT

Hey several years ago(20+ years)OC Transpo had leased some Santa Monica GM New Looks, which where later bought, they had different interiors, they also leased some Montreal buses(not sure which system from the Montreal area), they to had different interiors, we bought years ago some 1960 GM New Looks from the TTC as well as some ex-TTC Orion-Ikarus had different interiors. 

Yeah they may be different, but a bus is a bus and as long as it can do the job at present, it's like having a "New Bus" order with 'new' features. Sure things may look different but at least you guys are from the GTA and in most cases have  road TTC buses before so it may not be that "unusual" .

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Ed T. said:

I assume (pretty safely, i assume) that the TTC buses are plated and insured and MOTd and can be put on a route today. And if there is any issue, I would think it's possible for the TTC, as part of the lease agreement, to fix them at facilities that are fully trained and stocked for these buses.

How long would it take to inspect, purchase, transport, MOT and plate some used buses? And then maintain them?

Buses can operate without trackers and systems. The streetcars did this, as I recall, during the switchover to Vision. Would this be impossible for DRT?

Fare payment in the era of cashless and contact systems is interesting. I wonder how much complication there is to change the Presto readers to "use the DRT fare structure, not the TTC's".

I am sure the Region is self insured and the Region can plate those buses (if required), the Ownership would show TTC as the vehicle owner and the plate portion would show the Region. The agreement has to mention if the Region has to put on their own plates, Region just has to present a copy of the agreement to Service Ontario.

Right now, Cincinnati has 10 D40LFs up for grabs, they will need to be flatbed to MTB or a preferred shop. I am sure there are other Canadian Agencies retiring LFSs and they can grab some ready to roll D40LFs with Transit Sales International. Brokers usually take a week to file the paperwork to the CBSA (if they use Livingston), MTB can do the RIV process while the bus is being worked on including a new paint job. Plates take a day with Service Ontario.

Not sure, that's why I suggested Samsara with the TTC buses.

I am sure those Presto readers can be reprogrammed.

31 minutes ago, Gamer Studios said:

Gonna look weird...accessibility lights...red and blue interior, etc...

If the Region had bought retired buses from other Agencies, the seats would remain.

35 minutes ago, Gamer Studios said:

Gonna look weird...accessibility lights...red and blue interior, etc...

You’d be surprised at how little the general public notices these things. Sure a red bus instead of a green one but as long as a passenger has a seat, there’s little to question.

It’s worth mentioning to your point that when DRT was formed, most to all of the buses in the fleet had different paint schemes and seating designs.

On 8/29/2023 at 9:18 PM, Gamer Studios said:

Buses confirmed lost from the fire at Raleigh Division:

8516-8521 (2012 XD40s)
8554, 8560, 8561, 8563, 8569, 8580 (Novas)
6105, 07, 10, 11, 14, 16 and 17 (Novas)

Source: Connection to DRT employees

8580 is currently on route 407.

10 minutes ago, G.A said:

8580 is currently on route 407.

8580 was initially said to be retired from the fire from someone who is normally a reliable source.

That source has since updated their post to indicate 8588 was retired, and 8580 is no longer on their list. Guess their initial post had a typo.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

image.thumb.png.687843e4eb65467228a64abb3994149b.png

Have they considered buying these? This is from the Southwest Ohio Regional Transit Authority (SORTA) in Cincinnati, OH and they have a decent fleet of D40LFs. According to the wiki, they are numbered #8001-#8024, #9000-#9031 and #9038-#9067 built in 2008-09 and have the ISM/B400R powerplant. With ten recently retired and auctioned, I can’t see SORTA #9017-#9026 being bought over by DRT to make up the units lost. Any opinions and thoughts with @Ultimate's take is appreciated.

7 minutes ago, Kumiko Oumae said:

Have they considered buying these? This is from the Southwest Ohio Regional Transit Authority (SORTA) in Cincinnati, OH and they have a decent fleet of D40LFs. According to the wiki, they are numbered #8001-#8024, #9000-#9031 and #9038-#9067 built in 2008-09 and have the ISM/B400R powerplant. With ten recently retired and auctioned, I can’t see SORTA #9017-#9026 being bought over by DRT to make up the units lost. Any opinions and thoughts with @Ultimate's take is appreciated.

Have you considered that maybe they need the buses now and the complications and money it would take to drive retired buses over the border at least 10 hours to Durham? 

I plan on going out to see/photograph these TTC loaners in action next week.

Is it known which division these units will be based from? If so, where would I have the best chance of catching one? I presume a GO station. Will these only be used during rush hours?

33 minutes ago, TTC_1203 said:

I plan on going out to see/photograph these TTC loaners in action next week.

Is it known which division these units will be based from? If so, where would I have the best chance of catching one? I presume a GO station. Will these only be used during rush hours?

They will be out of Westney (Ajax) and seems it is limited to local routes only. A few have said rush hour service but that's a wait and see type deal.

• Thanks 1

On 9/2/2023 at 10:28 AM, Kumiko Oumae said:

On 8/28/2023 at 6:22 PM, Megabus Rider said:

I am sure the Region is self insured and the Region can plate those buses (if required), the Ownership would show TTC as the vehicle owner and the plate portion would show the Region. The agreement has to mention if the Region has to put on their own plates, Region just has to present a copy of the agreement to Service Ontario.

Right now, Cincinnati has 10 D40LFs up for grabs, they will need to be flatbed to MTB or a preferred shop. I am sure there are other Canadian Agencies retiring LFSs and they can grab some ready to roll D40LFs with Transit Sales International. Brokers usually take a week to file the paperwork to the CBSA (if they use Livingston), MTB can do the RIV process while the bus is being worked on including a new paint job. Plates take a day with Service Ontario.

Not sure, that's why I suggested Samsara with the TTC buses.

I am sure those Presto readers can be reprogrammed.

If the Region had bought retired buses from other Agencies, the seats would remain.

I mentioned that already and they have to be flatbed to MTB or a preferred shop. They are not in roadworthy condition as there are some minor parts missing and they don't start.

I'll possibly be taking DRT tomorrow and have a few questions about the on-demand service.

First, has the contractor changed to Via Transportation from Voyago? I've noticed that the developer of the app has changed. Does it use minivans now instead of sedans?

I'll be going down Brock Road from the Highway 407 interchange (GO bus 56 stop) to Pickering GO station. DRT's website is unclear about exactly to which fixed routes you can transfer to from the on-demand vehicle. Does it need to be the closest one?

Also, what is the estimated wait time for the vehicle if I book it as soon as the GO bus arrives? I do have the Uber app also available "just in case".

• Sad 1

18 hours ago, blue.bird.fan said:

I'll possibly be taking DRT tomorrow and have a few questions about the on-demand service.

First, has the contractor changed to Via Transportation from Voyago? I've noticed that the developer of the app has changed. Does it use minivans now instead of sedans?

I'll be going down Brock Road from the Highway 407 interchange (GO bus 56 stop) to Pickering GO station. DRT's website is unclear about exactly to which fixed routes you can transfer to from the on-demand vehicle. Does it need to be the closest one?

Also, what is the estimated wait time for the vehicle if I book it as soon as the GO bus arrives? I do have the Uber app also available "just in case".

I realized when I checked out DRT's old app (it was developed by a Canadian-based developer called "Spare Labs"), they advised to download the newer version of their app (to my understanding, the app is developed by Via Technologies but the contracted operations are still within Voyago - not sure if it's 100% true).

I was contemplating to do a test ride for example, from the Durham College/OnTechU (Ontario Tech University) Oshawa Campus or from the Harmony Terminal to the Food Truck Corral down at Bridle & Simcoe - but sadly, the results were negligible. Oh well, going to summon Uber (or Lyft) to go towards those locales.