Durham Region Transit

On 9/4/2020 at 11:37 AM, John Oke said:

Does anyone know when the arctics are entering service?

only for rush hours at the moment

On 9/10/2020 at 9:37 PM, senzation#3 said:

I agree, I think it will be a disaster with the service change especially in september when there's students using transit. If I was a transit planner doing a ridership recovery the first thing I would do is:

1. Restore regular service levels especially the 417 (except for rush hour routes)

2. The 917 should run from DC/Ontario Tech to Pickering Pkwy Terminal via Oshawa Centre/Whitby Stn/Ajax Stn

3. 902 should have run 15 min headway from Oshawa GO to Bowmanville then 30 min headway to Newcastle

4. Extend the 900 to STC on 15 min headways then 7.5 min headways between Downtown Oshawa to Pickering Pkwy Terminal

5. Routes 405, 407, 410, 916 and 915 should run on 15 min headways

6. Scrap GO bus route 81 and replace with 302A that goes to Beaverton and runs every 2 hrs.

7. Expand service Route 603 to every 2 hrs from Pickering Pkwy Terminal to Uxbridge with extra trips to Port Perry during rush hrs

8. Routes 120, 216, 224, 302, 917 and 905 should run a grid system on 20 min headways

9. Introduce Pulse on Simcoe (902). When School fully opens, 5 min headways (peak), 7.5 (middays), 10 min (weekday evenings and weekends)

10. Introduce to urban on-demand during night times especially overnights (Operating hrs varies when regular bus routes are finished their hrs)

11. When post-secondary schools reopen: extend the u-pass to August 31

Pulse Simcoe is going to be numbered as the 901 Pulse-Simcoe. 902 is already taken with the new 902 King route (which I heard from @110B West Pickeringwas supposed to replace the 402 King). However currently both are running with the 902 running with Pulse buses mixed in.

The 910 was supposed to be cancelled. Frankly I agree that either extend the 917 to Ontario Tech or merge the proposed 917 with the 910 together. Provides more ridership once life gets back to normal.

9 minutes ago, Gamer Studios said:

only for rush hours at the moment

Pulse Simcoe is going to be numbered as the 901 Pulse-Simcoe. 902 is already taken with the new 902 King route (which I heard from @110B West Pickeringwas supposed to replace the 402 King). However currently both are running with the 902 running with Pulse buses mixed in.

The 910 was supposed to be cancelled. Frankly I agree that either extend the 917 to Ontario Tech or merge the proposed 917 with the 910 together. Provides more ridership once life gets back to normal.

Artics are able to be found in service anytime Monday-Saturday, they aren’t restricted.

The 902 King was supposed to be introduced on August 24th along with the rest of the phase a changes, but it was delayed until September 8th, because this was after the start of the traditional board period, they kept the 402 around to maintain interlines with route 412 at Courtice Road.

they staggered the departures of the 902 to be roughly 15 minutes after the 402 to provide headway of 15 minutes between the OC and Courtice Road.

Come the September 28th Service changes being announced tomorrow, the 402 will be discontinued like planned for august 24th.

Service will operate as follows on route 902,

902A will run every half an hour between Oshawa GO Station and King Street/Simpson Avenue in Bowmanville via the OC.

902B will run every half hour between the Oshawa Centre and Trulls Road.

combined having a 15 minute frequency on the main stretch between the OC and Trulls.

As for the 910, I think the portion of the route North of the OC is to be added to the 917 once ridership has returned enough to provide the service.

3 hours ago, 110B West Pickering said:

Artics are able to be found in service anytime Monday-Saturday, they aren’t restricted.

The 902 King was supposed to be introduced on August 24th along with the rest of the phase a changes, but it was delayed until September 8th, because this was after the start of the traditional board period, they kept the 402 around to maintain interlines with route 412 at Courtice Road.

they staggered the departures of the 902 to be roughly 15 minutes after the 402 to provide headway of 15 minutes between the OC and Courtice Road.

Come the September 28th Service changes being announced tomorrow, the 402 will be discontinued like planned for august 24th.

Service will operate as follows on route 902,

902A will run every half an hour between Oshawa GO Station and King Street/Simpson Avenue in Bowmanville via the OC.

902B will run every half hour between the Oshawa Centre and Trulls Road.

combined having a 15 minute frequency on the main stretch between the OC and Trulls.

As for the 910, I think the portion of the route North of the OC is to be added to the 917 once ridership has returned enough to provide the service.

so what about the Pulse units on the 902...is it the same story of having Surpluses around?

and what about the 901 Pulse Simcoe? Is that coming soon?

On 8/11/2020 at 3:02 PM, John Oke said:

https://www.durhamregiontransit.com/en/about-us/our-services.aspx?_mid_=28171

I can't tell with this if routes like 303, 304, 312, 215, 224, 193, 411, 408, 409 etc will be permanently canceled or come back at a later date, all I can say is everywhere but Oshawa has been F*cked over by this.

they screwed Pickering really hard...

Here are the service changes staring on Sept 21st. This is Phase A, same as usual with a slight revision of the 902. These politicians are really out of touch with the people especially the students.

Schedules: https://www.durhamregiontransit.com/en/routes-and-schedules/resources/Sept.-28---2020/Combined.pdf

System Map:  https://www.durhamregiontransit.com/en/routes-and-schedules/resources/Sept.-28---2020/System-map/PleaseUse_DRTMap_September-2020---20200908_WithRevised902.pdf

Edited by senzation#3
wrong date
2 hours ago, senzation#3 said:

Here are the service changes staring on Sept 21st. This is Phase A, same as usual with a slight revision of the 902. These politicians are really out of touch with the people especially the students.

Yup.  I'm gonna vent.  My kids are in grade 8, but we don't feel school buses are safe right now.  We're driving them to/from school every day.  I'd have them take DRT if my route (223) were continuing since it's the against-traffic direction and a fairly nice one-bus trip.

Instead, assuming I'm right in reading this mess as you can take an on-demand bus within your immediate zone or to designated connection points or the GO station, DRT wants them to take three buses to go a few kilometres - probably for a total transfer time of over one hour.  Ridiculous.

And that's just one example of how bad this is.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
On 9/14/2020 at 2:56 PM, DavidH said:

Yup.  I'm gonna vent.  My kids are in grade 8, but we don't feel school buses are safe right now.  We're driving them to/from school every day.  I'd have them take DRT if my route (223) were continuing since it's the against-traffic direction and a fairly nice one-bus trip.

Instead, assuming I'm right in reading this mess as you can take an on-demand bus within your immediate zone or to designated connection points or the GO station, DRT wants them to take three buses to go a few kilometres - probably for a total transfer time of over one hour.  Ridiculous.

It's not just the service changes - even the One-Fare programme (in which you can use a DRT Monthly Pass loaded with PRESTO (/w proof of PRESTO Receipt for a DRT Monthly Pass load) or paper-based Access Pass (in the size of a business card) on certain GO Bus routes within Durham Region is being discontinued, too - as of September 28th, 2020.

This should not be confused with the Co-Fare agreement - it'll remain in place as it had before.

On 9/13/2020 at 7:44 PM, Gamer Studios said:

and what about the 901 Pulse Simcoe? Is that coming soon?

That route will come online as of September 28th, 2020.

Edited by FutureHeartsJunkie
adding supporting points plus clarity on the topics.
On 9/14/2020 at 2:56 PM, DavidH said:

Since when has DRT ever put there customers first?

LOL...they faced so much backlash when they first announced the service updates back in August. Eventually had to postpone the implementation of them. 

• Like 1

At what point will they realize that this OnDemand scheme isn't going to work? There's a reason they delayed it by a month. It was solely because of the backlash they (rightfully) received from angry residents. Spin it however you want but this is inevitably going to FAIL. Was all the backlash not enough?

• Sad 1
1 hour ago, Chris W said:

At what point will they realize that this OnDemand scheme isn't going to work? There's a reason they delayed it by a month. It was solely because of the backlash they (rightfully) received from angry residents. Spin it however you want but this is inevitably going to FAIL. Was all the backlash not enough?

It's anyone's guess if new OnDemand system is a flop. Might as well have to Uber/Lyft to/from my home to the GO train station (or even from home to a destination and back).

Many people (the majority are seniors and people with disabilities) will be severely impacted with the changes. Not sure on what the results will be - when the service changes come in the next couple of weeks.

4 hours ago, FutureHeartsJunkie said:

It's anyone's guess if new OnDemand system is a flop. Might as well have to Uber/Lyft to/from my home to the GO train station (or even from home to a destination and back).

Many people (the majority are seniors and people with disabilities) will be severely impacted with the changes. Not sure on what the results will be - when the service changes come in the next couple of weeks.

Considering how much backlash there is, it's safe to assume that this is already a flop, even before it's been implemented.

This is just service cuts disguised as a "service recovery strategy". Nobody asked for this, nobody wanted this and it will be an INSTANT failure, then the Region may be forced to backpedal on it.

2 hours ago, 110B West Pickering said:

Turns out it’s actually a ministry of transportation announcement at Raleigh division

Here are the details.  TLDR; bus replacements, more BRT lanes on Hwy 2, BRT lanes on Simcoe, more hard stop implementations, new onboard destination signs, and some more minor things.

On 9/17/2020 at 11:20 PM, FutureHeartsJunkie said:

Not just seniors that will be affected...basically anyone who rides or works for DRT. A former DRT bus op told me he got laid off cause of those changes

• Sad 1
2 hours ago, Gamer Studios said:

Not just seniors that will be affected...basically anyone who rides or works for DRT. A former DRT bus op told me he got laid off cause of those changes

It really sucks for anyone who have been affected by the changes. We're not sure how everyone will be adapting to the changes that DRT had finished setting up - when winter comes.

People would eventually end up getting a taxi/Uber/Lyft for those first-mile/last-mile trips if they live along a route that would be cut (even if the OnDemand service is implemented). Then again, your milelage may vary.

22 hours ago, FutureHeartsJunkie said:

It really sucks for anyone who have been affected by the changes. We're not sure how everyone will be adapting to the changes that DRT had finished setting up - when winter comes.

People would eventually end up getting a taxi/Uber/Lyft for those first-mile/last-mile trips if they live along a route that would be cut (even if the OnDemand service is implemented). Then again, your milelage may vary.

or just drive or have your friend to drive you

• Thanks 1
2 hours ago, Gamer Studios said:

or just drive or have your friend to drive you

Sadly, I can't drive but my dad (who is retired) can drive me. Alternatively, I would likely ride my bicycle and take a combination of that and riding a DRT bus (they have bicycle racks on the buses).

Anyhoo, moving on - with the new 917 bus route being launched, it'll give an opportunity for people in Oshawa on going to the Pickering Town Centre mall and even the Pickering Markets flea market on weekends (that way, they won't have to transfer to separate buses and so forth).

23 hours ago, Gamer Studios said:

or just drive

Woah you just solved human mobility for everyone, forever. Good job. Pat yourself on the back.

who knew the challenges of transportation had such an easy solution?  Now every city on earth can cancel their orders of busses because every person who needs to travel can just drive their personal car which they own. Even the blind! 

You've really outdone yourself sir. Keep on eye out for the delivery man; Elon Musk just sent you a medal for your hard work. 

• Haha 5
On 9/20/2020 at 9:32 PM, FutureHeartsJunkie said:

That is what happens when the transit agency screws people over.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • 2 weeks later...

As expected, there were a lot of confusion and anger among majority of the passengers, even among the bus operators as well. There also a lot of questions asking which bus route will stop at a certain street among passenger. Bus stops didn't change nor removed! Management screwed up big time

• Sad 1
3 hours ago, senzation#3 said:

As expected, there were a lot of confusion and anger among majority of the passengers, even among the bus operators as well. There also a lot of questions asking which bus route will stop at a certain street among passenger. Bus stops didn't change nor removed! Management screwed up big time

Huh. So they executed a plan that was not thought out and expected there not to be backlash? Hmmmm....it's almost like this was doomed from the start. Oh and what's this I hear about Durham Region using taxis and, in some cases SOMEONE'S PERSONAL VEHICLE for this OnDemand disaster!?

• Sad 1
12 hours ago, John Oke said:

Just watch, they’ll backtrack on the November and/or December boards probably 

I really hope that's the case. However, if what 'triggers phase B' is doubled down by DRT management and will not be put in place, then it will be a LONG time before DRT even gets to Phase B, much less Phase C. However, if this is reversed, I'd love to see the following return to their pre-COVID services.

217, 219, 225, 226, 232;

301, 303, 304, 308;

408, 409 (or if the 409 can have two branches, replacing the 408?), 411, 412, 417, 420 (?) Not sure about Bowmanville, so I'll not comment.

The 901 should at least start and end it trips at Onterio Tech.

910 should be back, unless if the 409 covers the majority of its routing along Thornton to Taunton.

• Confused 1