Orion Bus International

BBC 9197

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...
On 5/6/2017 at 0:29 AM, sdgta2008 said:

Does anyone know where Mississauga Truck and Bus managed to get themselves a last gen Orion VII?

It was the former hybrid demo they bought a while back. They recently converted it to diesel and refurbished it. Its available for sale now at MTB.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

Question on the Orion VIIs using the Cummins ISL engines.

Having ridden the original VII with the EPA04 and EPA07 engines, can anyone explain the difference between the engine sounds on the VII and the VII NG/EPA10? I heard the ones built after 2007 are quieter than the earlier ones. One bus in New York that was converted from a hybrid sounded like a VII NG's ISL engine.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Antarctica said:

Question on the Orion VIIs using the Cummins ISL engines.

Having ridden the original VII with the EPA04 and EPA07 engines, can anyone explain the difference between the engine sounds on the VII and the VII NG/EPA10? I heard the ones built after 2007 are quieter than the earlier ones. One bus in New York that was converted from a hybrid sounded like a VII NG's ISL engine.

DPF+EGR.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Does anyone think Orion has a shot of returning at some point in the future? They were a very successful bus company, so I find it very odd that they closed down all of a sudden in early 2013. Just think what they could have been if they were still around. We probably would of had an all-electric Orion VII 3G and several other goodies.

I'm not sure who even owns the rights to the brand and name, Daimler AG? NFI? I doubt the name would return after 6 years of rest, and it's even less likely the VII3G+E would be revived and developed.

Then again I suppose a band of transit nerds from NYC could start rumors and buy the Orion website and cite sources of MTA having interest in looking at a bid proposal on Facebook ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

As far as I know, Daimler still owns the rights to the name, and the designs of the buses.

But there's a bigger problem than just the name. When Daimler closed the company, they sold off the lucrative parts business, along with its distribution network, to Flyer. Rebuilding that from scratch is likely to be a bigger undertaking than restarting production of the vehicles.

Dan

• Like 2

On ‎11‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 8:59 AM, smallspy said:

As far as I know, Daimler still owns the rights to the name, and the designs of the buses.

But there's a bigger problem than just the name. When Daimler closed the company, they sold off the lucrative parts business, along with its distribution network, to Flyer. Rebuilding that from scratch is likely to be a bigger undertaking than restarting production of the vehicles.

Dan

I think there would need to be some kind of renewed interest in Daimler's part for an Orion revival.

• 2 months later...
On 11/27/2018 at 6:00 AM, Chris.A said:

Unless New Flyer buys the rights to build Orion buses. Do they still even make Orion parts?

Thread bump! Since 2013, New Flyer has the rights to all Orion names, products etc. An Orion revamp is HIGHLY unlikely. Consult Transit Toronto's post on their website about it.