Toronto Rocket Subway Cars

VERY glad to see that they put in transverse seating instead of the planned side-only seating.

One thing I'm also surprised about is that the seats are open underneath... I heard they were boxing that area in because of security concerns about leaving a bomb in a bag underneath a seat. I thought that had been a done deal that that was happening.

I like the way its shaping up with the new front and new style poles inside. One thing I cant stand is that fact that they will more resemble NYC subway cars rather than TTC cars from the side. I dont like how it will be door-window-door, istead of door-window-window-door.

Maybe they finally realized that terrorists won't be deterred by the seating arrangement. ;) And who said the terrorists wouldn't bomb older cars.

Now if only they'll put a window behind the cab so we could still have a sort-of railfan seat. I mean, they used the excuse of suicide jumpers trumatizing passengers, but that can't be too common.

VERY glad to see that they put in transverse seating instead of the planned side-only seating.

One thing I'm also surprised about is that the seats are open underneath... I heard they were boxing that area in because of security concerns about leaving a bomb in a bag underneath a seat. I thought that had been a done deal that that was happening.

wow, tip in windows as well...

some open air train rides...

The Hong Kong trains have those type of windows but a normal passenger cannot open the windows. Most likely, the TR windows will not be openable to regular passengers.

Bomb under the seat, bomb on the seat... in the end it isn't going to matter.

Just because there's no space under the seat, doesn't mean that that will stop someone from bombing a train.

Just like telling people they can't take photos of transit for security reasons would actually prevent a terrorist attack.

Maybe they finally realized that terrorists won't be deterred by the seating arrangement. :angry: And who said the terrorists wouldn't bomb older cars.

Now if only they'll put a window behind the cab so we could still have a sort-of railfan seat. I mean, they used the excuse of suicide jumpers trumatizing passengers, but that can't be too common.

Exactly! I'd rather see the front view (back if on the tail car) of the subway signals.

Bomb under the seat, bomb on the seat... in the end it isn't going to matter.

Just because there's no space under the seat, doesn't mean that that will stop someone from bombing a train.

Just like telling people they can't take photos of transit for security reasons would actually prevent a terrorist attack.

I am still irked by the decision to remove the trash bins from the subway platforms.

• 1 month later...

Anything current/ recent updates on the new Toronto Rocket cars??? How many are we getting in all, and when is the first trainset scheduled to arrive? (What fleet numbers will they adopt?) I´m really looking forward to these cars! The T1s in my opinion look too outdated even for cars from the ´90s (compared to other cities), and greatly lack customer amenities. I checked the Bombardier website but there´s absolutely no information about them, which is pretty uncommon for trains currently in production.

Also, will drivers have their own separate side doors (as seen in picture below), and when will the shift to OPTO (one-person train operation) occur, if ever?

(My dreams of driving a subway in Stockholm were recently dashed when I heard they´re automating their system by 2013! :rolleyes: )

tukholma_18.jpg

Driver observing platform monitors for when to close train doors in Stockholm, Sweden. C20-stock (Vagn 2000, built by Bombardier!). Photo courtesy of Juhana Hietaranta.

(My dreams of driving a subway in Stockholm were recently dashed when I heard they´re automating their system by 2013! :rolleyes: )

I would suspect it is the dream of many transit agencies to have a fully automated subway, including TTC,...eventually.

Anything current/ recent updates on the new Toronto Rocket cars??? How many are we getting in all, and when is the first trainset scheduled to arrive? (What fleet numbers will they adopt?) I´m really looking forward to these cars! The T1s in my opinion look too outdated even for cars from the ´90s (compared to other cities), and greatly lack customer amenities. I checked the Bombardier website but there´s absolutely no information about them, which is pretty uncommon for trains currently in production.

Also, will drivers have their own separate side doors (as seen in picture below), and when will the shift to OPTO (one-person train operation) occur, if ever?

tukholma_18.jpg

Driver observing platform monitors for when to close train doors in Stockholm, Sweden. C20-stock (Vagn 2000, built by Bombardier!). Photo courtesy of Juhana Hietaranta.

Yes, drivers will have their own seperate doors.

I really don't see the TTC having a fully automated system just yet. Remember the SRT is more than capable of operating without operators (well, if it was functioning at top ability) but the TTC keeps a driver on each train for safety and to open/close doors. Vancouver operates their Skytrain fully automated.

Currently, the Yonge line is switching to cab signaling and that'll be installed and implemented in a few years. This won't automate the line, but it'll bring it closer to automation.

Final point: The Yonge line operates on such close frequency that a second crew member is required to 'fall back' to reduce the terminal times as much as possible.