Streetcar News

CLRV4037

3 hours ago, Kelvin3157 said:

Why would they waste their money from the rental just to do that?

It wouldnt be out of the ordinary these days for people in our society. They seem to like to outdo themselves on stupidity everyday.

To the previous 3 posters, can we please cut the useless chit chat? Frankly, it's not just the previous 3 either.

From the pinned posting etiquette topic:

"2. Posts and replies are to be well thought out and intelligent. We will also not tolerate one word posts or posts of inane 'chatter' on the board. Examples: LOL, :unsure:, I saw it too, that's nice, etc."

• Thanks 3

Would putting railway crossing barriers at the portal be an option.  If it's triggered by an outbound streetcar from the Queens Quay station and/or a streetcar crossing York St. eastbound there should be enough time for the barrier to go up before the streetcar gets to it.  Short of putting those tire shredding spikes at the portal itself so the removal would be easier, we're running out of options.

7 minutes ago, Gil said:

Would putting railway crossing barriers at the portal be an option.  If it's triggered by an outbound streetcar from the Queens Quay station and/or a streetcar crossing York St. eastbound there should be enough time for the barrier to go up before the streetcar gets to it.  Short of putting those tire shredding spikes at the portal itself so the removal would be easier, we're running out of options.

I think the spikes are a better option than crossing barriers, and cheaper as well because. It immobilizes the car, compared to a standard crossing barrier where some drunk individual can drive right through and not really be stopped. I bring up a drunk driver because of how many of these incidents have occurred in the early hours of the morning, when it is likely people are drunk. Most sane people wouldn't drive through a streetcar-only tunnel. Emphasis on most. 

I assume you mean these:

Image result for wrong way spike

Accompanied with this

Image result for wrong way spike

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Gil said:

It might make a bit of a difference when the driver is just a tourist. But then again, it seems that so does the additional signage, paint and other measures.

If someone is drunk enough to pass by all of those obliviously, what makes you think that gates will stop him?

Dan

1 hour ago, soo8513 said:

re gates ... just count the GO delays caused by vehicles wiping out RR crossing gates.  Likely not much more can be done EXCEPT pass entire damage repair and recovery costs to the offender.

How is that going to prevent it if they're drunk enough to make the poor decision of getting into their vehicle and driving it away in the first place?

Dan

26 minutes ago, smallspy said:

How is that going to prevent it if they're drunk enough to make the poor decision of getting into their vehicle and driving it away in the first place?

Dan

Hence why I think, and also as @Gil said, having wrong way spikes might be a useful addition. It immobilizes the car, rather than a gate, which won't really have an effect on a drunk driver. 

I've also found much larger wrong way spikes in other countries, but haven't found any photos. They would be sure to stop the car on the spot. Personally, I don't see any issue with them. 

11 minutes ago, WoodbineSecondExit said:

Retractable bollards work but you'll still see people protesting it wouldn't stop 100% of everything so why bother trying.

Perhaps, but I feel like spikes would be cheaper to install, and perhaps easier to maintain, as the chance of the bollard failing to move up or down is much higher than the spikes failing, since they get pushed down by pressure from a tire.

________

Quick question: Why were the tracks rebuilt on Wellington? Was it for short turns or something?

6 minutes ago, MiWay0310 said:

Quick question: Why were the tracks rebuilt on Wellington? Was it for short turns or something?

Wellington is part of the standard routing of the 503 car.

As to when the route will actually revert to streetcar operation, if ever, is a different matter. 

6 minutes ago, ttc rider said:

Wellington is part of the standard routing of the 503 car.

As to when the route will actually revert to streetcar operation, if ever, is a different matter. 

I wonder if there are plans for it? Mind you, TTC needs every streetcar they can get for the time being, but the rebuilding of the tracks must mean something. 

1 minute ago, PCC Guy said:

They wouldn't have rebuilt them if they were planning on converting the 503 to permanent bus operation.

I am sure nobody planned such a thing in advance, especially since they've rebuilt the entire trackage on Kingston Rd.

But with the much higher demands on other routes, higher than expected fleet requirements due to projects such as the King Pilot, and with Bombardier constantly behind in deliveries, it is obvious the 502/503 are not top of the list as far as restoring streetcar service. It remains to be seen if 204 new cars (plus the rebuilt ALRV's) will actually be enough to cover the demand on the entire network in a couple of years' time. If not, the 502/503 are probably the best candidates for permanent bus replacement.

14 hours ago, MiWay0310 said:

Hence why I think, and also as @Gil said, having wrong way spikes might be a useful addition. It immobilizes the car, rather than a gate, which won't really have an effect on a drunk driver. 

I've also found much larger wrong way spikes in other countries, but haven't found any photos. They would be sure to stop the car on the spot. Personally, I don't see any issue with them. 

Puncturing the tires doesn't immobilize the vehicle. The fact that we've seen vehicles as far into the tunnels as Union Station and Spadina bears that out.

Dan

• Like 2

Thing is, they could essentially balance their way on the rails til the trap ends and the trackbed is level. Evidence would be how far some cars have managed to go.

Otherwise I'd be suggesting this:

Image result for car trap

Image result for car trap

I was thinking, perhaps they could elevate the rails to a height at which a car would end up beeching onto them; however, I feel that cost would be an issue. Here's an example:

Related image

I'm not suggesting that trackbed/track layout the whole way, but for a distance long enough to stop/beech any cars. 

Strange, transee says there are only two ALRVs out this morning at 7 AM, 4243 and 4251. Meanwhile, there's a pile of CLRVs in service, including two of the Swiss cars, with lots of CLRVs on 501.

I thought with the rebuilds that the ALRVs should be more reliable? I can only assume that more ALRVs would be sent out if possible.

If they're being blocked in by frozen CLRVs, I would think that the carhouses would try to rearrange things during the day to put the 'reliable' cars on their own set of tracks.

Update: 8:30 AM, only 4243 is out there??

1 hour ago, Ed T. said:

Strange, transee says there are only two ALRVs out this morning at 7 AM, 4243 and 4251. Meanwhile, there's a pile of CLRVs in service, including two of the Swiss cars, with lots of CLRVs on 501.

I thought with the rebuilds that the ALRVs should be more reliable? I can only assume that more ALRVs would be sent out if possible.

If they're being blocked in by frozen CLRVs, I would think that the carhouses would try to rearrange things during the day to put the 'reliable' cars on their own set of tracks.

Update: 8:30 AM, only 4243 is out there??

I'm seeing two out there right now (8.58am) - 4229 and 4243.

No matter what's been done to them, the ALRVs have always been the lesser of the two types in terms of reliability. I suspect a lot of it comes down to the component choices - ordering and designing many components for use in both the H6s and As likely resulted in components that were ideally suited for either.

One thing to think about with the TTC's reliability publicly-available stats - they only cover vehicles already in service. There is another stat that would be very useful to know called "availability" - it tells you how often the vehicles are actually ready and capable of entering service. Even though the MTBFs may be going up, if the availability of the fleet is going down than you're still not going to be able to improve service.

Dan

• Thanks 2

34 minutes ago, smallspy said:

No matter what's been done to them, the ALRVs have always been the lesser of the two types in terms of reliability. I suspect a lot of it comes down to the component choices - ordering and designing many components for use in both the H6s and As likely resulted in components that were ideally suited for either.

I didn't know they shared components with the H6s, that's interesting. 

I suppose an articulated vehicle will always be somewhat less reliable than its rigid counterpart.