Streetcar News

CLRV4037

10 hours ago, 354 Lawrence East said:

4100,4199,4004 Have moved to Russell Carhouse.

Any streetcar could be dispatched from Russell one morning and end up at Roncy the same evening and viceversa. The obvious exception to this however are the new cars which currently are always dispatched from and return to the Leslie Barns.

Back to the topic of fare inspection; I've occasionally encountered this problem (including today) where the fare machines misidentify the location and/or direction of the vehicle. ie) Occasionally an up-trip will be identified as a down-trip, and/or the location be further up/down the line, or at Leslie Carhouse (LakeShore and Leslie). The machines show no outward signs of being wonky. This can be analogous to the Presto problem which misidentifies the location of a tap and could pose a problem when getting inspected. 

1 hour ago, drum118 said:

4457 is in service on 504 and 4456 just returned to the Barns from being out for testing.

Any info when 4458 was delivery as well any others since I am out of town? Thanks

Only report I could find from December 17th.

Update: you may want to check the other thread where people are specifically posting about deliveries: "https://cptdb.ca/topic/16485-bombardier-flexity-deliveries/?page=10&tab=comments#comment-792194

8 hours ago, MiWay0310 said:

It looks like 4463 won't be making it before the New Year, as BBD said it should have. 

I don't give a damn if we don't have more than 4461 - two cars is neither here nor there given that TTC will still be working on 58/59 when 60/61 show up as alleged above (after the UT bull it's hard to be confident of anything posted without a picture). What I do give a damn about is how empty TB will be by then and how soon we will see the first January cars, given BBD's history of pauses in that month.

1 hour ago, Shaun said:

We had so much success with this design, why was it not popular elsewhere? 

Because streetcars weren't popular anywhere else (in North America). In Europe they were too wide and long to fit on narrow city streets for a lot of cities. 

Going back to North America, some cities were trying to expand their heavy rail systems when and after the streetcars were removed. The bay area was building BART in the 60s, Washington DC was building Metro in the 60s and 70s. These came after all the streetcars were removed from the city and they were having transit problems in the suburbs coming into downtown (San Francisco kept much of the trolley network, but not its interurban network, which is what served the suburbs).

The cities of Boston and Philadelphia were mainly shifting away from streetcars in favor of subway systems. The exceptions being when Boston kept it's interurban Mattapan line because it was connected with the red line, and Philadelphia's Line 15. There are lines that remain in both cities (The green line for the MBTA and the SEPTA Subway Surface Lines) that were partially subway, and weren't abandoned as a result. Although Philadelphia focussed more on regional rail than subways during this time period, many parts of the system (the Broad Street Subway and the PATCO Speedline) were built during the transition period from streetcars & interurbans to subways (Also, I would argue that SEPTA currently has the best regional rail system in North America and one of the best in the world). New York City never really ran streetcars, but the elevated lines were decommissioned during the times of streetcar closures (See Second Avenue Subway). Chicago probably has the biggest transformation of all, many lines were decommissioned when elevated lines were put in place. 

• Like 1