CLRV4037

Streetcar News

5,629 posts in this topic

4137 will be in service tommorow. It was at Hillcrest for around 1 year for a number of things. The most notable change is the new shiny paint job. The car also sports new style fleet numbering. Slightly smaller and narrower than existing fleet numbers on most cars. A number of cars had recieved the smaller but bolder numbers as well. So 4137 will support the third distinct font style now in service on the CLRV and ALRVs. 4177 also has this new font style.

Off the top of my head, Ill list the repainted cars with the bold font, and the new narrow font. I'll edit it as I see more. (and make corrections)

Bold Font:

4002,4029,4030(front only),4033(rear and closed side front only),4043,4045,4066(front only),4082,4083,4087,4090(all except front open side),4105,4122(front only),4126,4129,4146,4160,4169,4194,4205,4219,4237,4239,4241

Bold and New Narrow Font:

4114(only rear bold, rest is new narrow)

New Narrow Font:

4050,4074(front only),4137,4154(front only),4177

Again, this is not complete. I will update when I get the time.

4137 will be in service tommorow. It was at Hillcrest for around 1 year for a number of things. The most notable change is the new shiny paint job. The car also sports new style fleet numbering. Slightly smaller and narrower than existing fleet numbers on most cars. A number of cars had recieved the smaller but bolder numbers as well. So 4137 will support the third distinct font style now in service on the CLRV and ALRVs. 4177 also has this new font style.

I'd still prefer to see the old "futura" based font (like that seen in my avatar) back on TTC vehicles as the standard, as it had so much more class and distinction than "Helvetica" or whatever is used.

It's like the font used by Transport for London ... the "Tube" font is distinctly for the London Underground (and its also tricky to get replicated fonts too), just as the TTC's old font was distinctly for Toronto's system ...

... Yet another way the TTC has "generalized".

- Josh

(formerly Orion_9229)

4002 has also been repainted recently, I saw it on 506 with a new coat of paint last Friday, 4002 is the only swiss built one I know has been repainted (I've rode both 4001 and 4005 in the last month but I havn't seen 4000, 4003 & 4004 lately).

Not recently, I have a picture of 4002 from May 12. 4000 isn't repainted as of August 21.

I'd still prefer to see the old "futura" based font (like that seen in my avatar) back on TTC vehicles as the standard....

(formerly Orion_9229)

The problem with "futura" is that the "centers" of many of the letters and numbers, like the 9 in your avitar for instance, are too small and so aren't easily seen from a distance.

Helvetica was developped specifically for use in large fonts to be seen from great distances clearly...that's why you see many railways, for example, using it.

Dan

All repainted CLRV have bold fleet numbers, except the ones outlined by CLRV4037.

Thanks CLRV4037 for the lastest streetcar news.

One car that I haven't seen in service in quite some time (since last year) is 4104.

Other cars that have the new shiny paint job:

4066(?)

Not sure if 4126 and 4176 should be included in this list but their fleet numbering style is different. Same thing for 4105.

I think 4114 was out of service for an extended period of time before returning to service last month (around mid-July or maybe earlier). Same thing for 4050. Interestingly enough, both of these cars were wrapped for Dynamic Mutual Funds last fall.

Speaking of 4177, did this car spend extensive time at the Russell Carhouse for the last month before returning to Roncesvalles late last week or earlier this week? I know cars move around a lot between Roncy and Russell but for the last month or so, it seemed that 4177 was operating on Russell routes or runs on split routes. For example, on August 3, 4177 was on the 510. On August 10 during the AM rush, it was on the 506 (27 run--not sure if it's Russell or Roncy) and the back rollsign exposure read either 502 or 503. On August 14, it was spotted Not in Service eastbound on Gerrard around 5 pm, possibly heading to Russell. And on August 19, it was on the 509, either as a Roncy car or one of the Russell extras and on Monday (Aug. 21), it was on the 509 again, this time on a Roncy run (3).

Thanks CLRV4037 for the lastest streetcar news.

One car that I haven't seen in service in quite some time (since last year) is 4104.

Other cars that have the new shiny paint job:

4066(?)

Not sure if 4126 and 4176 should be included in this list but their fleet numbering style is different. Same thing for 4105.

I think 4114 was out of service for an extended period of time before returning to service last month (around mid-July or maybe earlier). Same thing for 4050. Interestingly enough, both of these cars were wrapped for Dynamic Mutual Funds last fall.

Speaking of 4177, did this car spend extensive time at the Russell Carhouse for the last month before returning to Roncesvalles late last week or earlier this week? I know cars move around a lot between Roncy and Russell but for the last month or so, it seemed that 4177 was operating on Russell routes or runs on split routes. For example, on August 3, 4177 was on the 510. On August 10 during the AM rush, it was on the 506 (27 run--not sure if it's Russell or Roncy) and the back rollsign exposure read either 502 or 503. On August 14, it was spotted Not in Service eastbound on Gerrard around 5 pm, possibly heading to Russell. And on August 19, it was on the 509, either as a Roncy car or one of the Russell extras and on Monday (Aug. 21), it was on the 509 again, this time on a Roncy run (3).

4104 is at Hillcrest.

I deadheaded 4050, 4066, 4114 (and 4137) back to Russell from Hillcrest within the last month or so.

4177 was at Russell for a while, until finally scheduled over on a change over run.

List is now on the first Post.

any one know when the deadline for the tenders for the new streetcars is?

any one know when the deadline for the tenders for the new streetcars is?

No, the tendering process hasn't even gone out yet. Only the RFI has. I thought they were supposed to have got rid of alot of rif raf when they re-started the board... I guess they missed one.

As it turns out, the TTC hasn't been consistent on applying the new decals when the cars are in need of a repaint.

Several cars sport the bold font as well as old helvetica font. There are a few that support the bold and the new narrow, and even the new narrow with the old helvetica.

Either way, I have updated the list, and added specific details.

On Sunday I saw streetcar and it was missing the fleet number next to the front doors. It was on 506, can't remember the fleet number. Do you know which one I'm talking about CLRV4037?

On Sunday I saw streetcar and it was missing the fleet number next to the front doors. It was on 506, can't remember the fleet number. Do you know which one I'm talking about CLRV4037?

4135. Its been missing for a month and a bit now. It suffered some kind of damage and had a patch job done in that spot. 4215 is missing one of the rear fleet numbers as well.

CLRV4037:

I've heard ongoing rumours about the relocation of Fleet loop closer to scratchan (near where the condo is being built), but is it actually official to your knowledge?

CLRV4037:

I've heard ongoing rumours about the relocation of Fleet loop closer to scratchan (near where the condo is being built), but is it actually official to your knowledge?

This would bring streetcar service closer to higher population right?

This would bring streetcar service closer to higher population right?

No. Fleet Loop is at Lakeshore and Bathurst. I have heard the same rumours, at this point I will believe it when I see it. I know of no offical plan to move it.

CLRV4037:

That would be kinda silly, as they would just be bringing it closer to an existing loop.

Dan

No. Fleet Loop is at Lakeshore and Bathurst. I have heard the same rumours, at this point I will believe it when I see it. I know of no offical plan to move it.

I would say at this point that because you don't know anything about it that it is only a rumour.

If they were moving it, what would be the point?

theres a loop on fleet street.

Can you read the above post properly before you post. We already know there's a Loop on Fleet St.

1 person likes this