Proterra

Mr.Transit

11 hours ago, MVTArider said:

It still has the classic Protato look despite a little tweaking in the design. Glad to read this new model has improved suspension. Though it wasn't terrible, that buckboard ride was one downside to the Catalyst models.

I'd be interested to see how the additional front charging port works with a bike rack option, or if that would be a 'one or the other' thing.

Personally, I really liked the look of the Catalyst, but the ZX5 is definitely more mainstream. As you said, it still is obviously a Protato, I still like the styling.

• 2 months later...

Let me fix that for you: 

1 hour ago, MAX BRT said:

New Proterra ZX5 in Jackson Hole Wyoming! Looks like it's the first ZX5 ever delivered in the USA.
Huge batteries = huge range

https://insideevs.com/news/454411/start-bus-wyomings-first-electric-buses/

Given that Proterra is retroactively calling Edmonton's buses ZX5's, and have been delivering new buses since October which might actually have ZX5_DP on the builders plate vs the CAT40DP on the first lot, which were delivered under the Catalyst branding. 

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...
On 7/16/2021 at 8:15 AM, RailBus63 said:

Pretty damning article here about the issues that SEPTA in Philadelphia has had with their Proterra electric buses, which were pulled off the road in February 2020 and are not likely to return anytime soon:  

WHYY.org - SEPTA’s cracking battery buses raise questions about the future of electric transit

With all the bad PR this has caused, you would think they would just replace those buses are new ones? It would likely be cheaper.

Can you repair a unibody fibreglass body?

• 1 year later...

In a public meeting this past week, the director of the Detroit Department of Transportation openly expressed concern that Proterra was at risk of bankruptcy. Does anyone else share this concern? I've found articles saying the company was having financial difficulties, but few sources describe the situation as being so dire.

• Thanks 1

• 4 months later...
On 3/25/2023 at 8:05 PM, dtwtransit said:

In a public meeting this past week, the director of the Detroit Department of Transportation openly expressed concern that Proterra was at risk of bankruptcy. Does anyone else share this concern? I've found articles saying the company was having financial difficulties, but few sources describe the situation as being so dire.

You got your wish.

Proterra has now filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy.

At least it ain’t suffering the same fate as NYMTA's DesignLine EcoSaver fleets. 

• Thanks 1

On 8/8/2023 at 1:57 AM, dtwtransit said:

That certainly took me by surprise. I seriously hope they make it out of Ch 11 okay; we really need to keep some competition in the industry with Nova leaving the US.

I wonder if they'll end up being bought up by someone. (Hopefully not NFI Group though as I'm guessing they would just dump them except for the propulsion system) Considering the issues they've had with the bus models though I could see a competitor buying them for the propulsion system, selling off the energy/charging division, and dumping the Protato bus line in favor of their own model. We've seen Proterra powered ADL Enviro500 and Van Hool TDX925e. So I'm sure it would be feasible to get the propulsion and battery system into a Low Floor, Axess, or Xcelsior.

For competition I agree, I hope they can survive.

• Thanks 1

I think their only path forward is to strictly become a powertrain supplier for others, if someone doesn’t acquire them to get at their patents.
After Philly went to court about body cracks everyone rightfully got cold feet. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/13/2023 at 4:06 AM, dtwtransit said:

I've heard they're already working with ENC for a Proterra-powered Axess.

Speaking of ENC, would that be possible if they could expand to the east coast? Nova is pulling out of the US market in 2025 and since Orion is gone, ENC could open up shop north in Canada to fill in the void left. 

2 hours ago, ABQ RIDE said:

I wonder if Gillig could buy out Proterra. Gillig seems to be a rather small player in the electric bus market, and buying out Proterra would give them a huge boost in electric bus market share.

Then pull a New Flyer, discontinue their own model and build their own Gillig models in Prottera’s plant instead but retain their powerplant. Maybe not, but Gillig could rebadge the Proterra XS5 as Gillig Low Floor Next Generation Electric or something like that.

• Thanks 1

On 8/9/2023 at 7:21 PM, Bus_Medic said:

I think their only path forward is to strictly become a powertrain supplier for others, if someone doesn’t acquire them to get at their patents.
After Philly went to court about body cracks everyone rightfully got cold feet. 

This would make a ton of sense. Similar to when builders offered multiple powertrain options, Gillig/NFI/Nova could offer Proterra, Siemens and/or Cummins battery-electric options. 

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
22 hours ago, Doppelkupplung said:

Didn't these guys also have an XDE60 catch fire as well? 

Yeah, but to my knowledge that bus was involved in an MVA and had power lines land on top of it in the process, unless you're referring to another incident that I may be unaware of

• Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

this is what happened when you rush product that you think companies would buy, but only a very few were actually interested by it

10 hours ago, Kumiko Oumae said:

Volvo Group acquires Proterra's battery business

Oh boy, Proterra powered LFSe+ buses.

i really hope they rename the proterra chassis as volvo how funny would it be

on a serious note, i really doubt they would keep 2 north american brand, they will probably rename proterra to "Volvo EV North America" or something and transfer all the remaining proterra models to Novabus

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Bus_Dealership said:

this is what happened when you rush product that you think companies would buy, but only a very few were actually interested by it

i really hope they rename the proterra chassis as volvo how funny would it be

on a serious note, i really doubt they would keep 2 north american brand, they will probably rename proterra to "Volvo EV North America" or something and transfer all the remaining proterra models to Novabus

The purchase by Volvo is just the battery technology. The bus manufacturing unit of Proterra was not part of the sale.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 3we said:

The assets to be acquired include a development center for battery modules and packs in California and an assembly factory in South Carolina.

Maybe move the LFS production from Plattsburgh to South Carolina.

It will be interesting to see how Nova is affected through all this. And how Volvo incorporates their batteries to their business. And if Plattsburgh is to have a second look. But they did say it's losing money, not enough orders. 

2 hours ago, 3we said:

The assets to be acquired include a development center for battery modules and packs in California and an assembly factory in South Carolina.

Maybe move the LFS production from Plattsburgh to South Carolina.

Please read the post above yours - Volvo only bought the battery business. The South Carolina plant they bought is not a bus manufacturing facility, so no, the LFS will not be built there.