GO Transit

Enzo Aquarius

Free travel GO/TTC New Year's Eve.

What routes would you take to have a fun fan trip within a reasonable time from 7 PM to say 11 PM or possibly after midnight (although the drunks and vomit gets much worse the later you go, based on past experience)?

Some considerations:

• Start/finish at Long Branch, or Union station if that's easier, anyway Lakeshore West
  • Busways and Highway 407 are places I don't usually go, and presumably will make for a quicker trip
  • Probably not worth dealing with heavy traffic, e.g. Gardiner
  • Loop would beat just going somewhere and turning around
  • Express trains would be a nice change from locals
  • Minimize waiting around at transfer points, while not having them so tight that missing one is going to be a problem (don't want to be stuck in Peterborough at 1 AM or anything)

Some possibilities are starting from Union on a Lakeshore West express that goes through to Niagara Falls, or Hamilton anyway, and catching some bus that goes along the 407 back to Bramalea or something, then back to Union? Unfortunately GO's system map is not very helpful in seeing what bus route goes where, and digging through the schedules is a pain.

4 minutes ago, Ed T. said:

What routes would you take to have a fun fan trip within a reasonable time from 7 PM to say 11 PM or possibly after midnight (although the drunks and vomit gets much worse the later you go, based on past experience)?

Some considerations:

• Start/finish at Long Branch, or Union station if that's easier, anyway Lakeshore West
  • Busways and Highway 407 are places I don't usually go, and presumably will make for a quicker trip
  • Minimize waiting around at transfer points, while not having them so tight that missing one is going to be a problem (don't want to be stuck in Peterborough at 1 AM or anything)

Some possibilities are starting from Union on a Lakeshore West express that goes through to Niagara Falls, or Hamilton anyway, and catching some bus that goes along the 407 back to Bramalea or something, then back to Union? Unfortunately GO's system map is not very helpful in seeing what bus route goes where, and digging through the schedules is a pain.

I think a good route would be: GO 16 to Hamilton from Union , GO 40 from Hamilton to Pearson, UP Express back to Union (and you can see that you can reach the start however you'd like, or break-off from Pearson and go your own way).

5 minutes ago, TTC7447 said:

I think a good route would be: GO 16 to Hamilton from Union , GO 40 from Hamilton to Pearson, UP Express back to Union (and you can see that you can reach the start however you'd like, or break-off from Pearson and go your own way).

Would the 16 get stuck in Gardiner/QEW traffic? Might be easier to take the train, go to Union and catch an express if possible? I don't see the 16 stopping at any intermediate train station either.

1 hour ago, Ed T. said:

Would the 16 get stuck in Gardiner/QEW traffic? Might be easier to take the train, go to Union and catch an express if possible? I don't see the 16 stopping at any intermediate train station either.

Route 16 Hamilton Express is at the mercy of Gardiner/QEW traffic, but it is direct which only stops at Union Station Bus Terminal and one local stop before looping into Hamilton Go Centre. 

Route 16 is every half hour from Union Station Bus Terminal from 7 PM until 8:30 PM. Then it goes down to hourly from 8:30 PM until 12:30 AM the next day. 

If you are coming off the train, make sure you also factor the walking distance between the train station and bus terminal which are two separate facilities. 

Lately, I've been hearing those "public safety announcements" being played on the GO Train stations ending with the phrase "Safety Never Stops" (for some announcements). There's also some announcements relating to safety at level crossings and stay back from the yellow platform line.

I wish that there should be an announcement that features this (just my imagination):
V.O. #1: The following message is from...
V.O. #2: It's your friendly clown! While it may be fun and games to play jokes on my fans young and old and tease with them - it's never fun and games to harass a station attendant or someone else in authority.
V.O #1: Metrolinx reminds you: engaging in abusive or inappropriate behaviour will not be tolerated.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, T3G said:

I think it would be far more preferable if there were far fewer announcements instead.

Yeah the announcements have gotten out of control in the last year. It’s the worst on the DDs if you’re up top. Your eardrums get blasted and it feels like you’re basically at the next stop sometimes when they finish, ready to do it all over again. Combine that with the lights never being turned off (or just flickering) and it’s really unpleasant.

Overall ride experience on buses at least has become less enjoyable than it was say 2-3 years ago, and significantly less pleasant than pre covid times. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The double deckers are the worst offenders without a doubt, but the issue of noise pollution is present everywhere on the system. Trains going in and out of Union are a total nightmare. Irrelevant safety PSAs, irrelevant reminders not to forget your stuff on the train (anyone who needs a reminder not to forget their stuff probably shouldn't be running around without a court appointed legal guardian); there was product integration with some theater show, and perhaps the most obnoxious of all was the Santa Claus parade announcements, which were very loud and badly clipped. Every time they came on, every passenger in my immediate vicinity also looked around to see what the hell was going on. Then repeat the same nonsense, but in French. One train I was on I decided to time the announcements, and it ended up being a whopping 4 minutes of sheer irrelevant noise pollution. What the hell are they smoking at this agency?

By comparison, the laconic TTC is an absolute dream. At least until you get on a Flexity, which has to have had sound design done by some Metrolinx consultant.

Everyone needs to shut up.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, Doppelkupplung said:

Yeah the announcements have gotten out of control in the last year. It’s the worst on the DDs if you’re up top. Your eardrums get blasted and it feels like you’re basically at the next stop sometimes when they finish, ready to do it all over again. Combine that with the lights never being turned off (or just flickering) and it’s really unpleasant.

Overall ride experience on buses at least has become less enjoyable than it was say 2-3 years ago, and significantly less pleasant than pre covid times. 

And that's not including the slowed down French announcements which is at twice the volume of the English ones.

5 minutes ago, T3G said:

The double deckers are the worst offenders without a doubt, but the issue of noise pollution is present everywhere on the system. Trains going in and out of Union are a total nightmare. Irrelevant safety PSAs, irrelevant reminders not to forget your stuff on the train (anyone who needs a reminder not to forget their stuff probably shouldn't be running around without a court appointed legal guardian); there was product integration with some theater show, and perhaps the most obnoxious of all was the Santa Claus parade announcements, which were very loud and badly clipped. Every time they came on, every passenger in my immediate vicinity also looked around to see what the hell was going on. Then repeat the same nonsense, but in French. One train I was on I decided to time the announcements, and it ended up being a whopping 4 minutes of sheer irrelevant noise pollution. What the hell are they smoking at this agency?

By comparison, the laconic TTC is an absolute dream. At least until you get on a Flexity, which has to have had sound design done by some Metrolinx consultant.

Everyone needs to shut up.

Don't forget that the French ones are slowed down because the voice programming doesn't understand French words.

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

57 minutes ago, Doppelkupplung said:

Sept.......Sept.......SeptSeptSept

There was a time when it was Sept...........Sept..............Sept...........Sept...........Sept.

The first few times I heard that I thought something had jammed like a cassette.

Is Metrolinx so cheap they can't get actual human beings to record their announcements? I can't stand this era of computer generated everything.

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CvvCOjxo7IM/?igsh=MjJkMmIyYzQxYw==

• Thanks 1

That voice for Zoom Text I have on my laptop is so similar to the current English one that's being used. I'll see if I can get an audio recording of some sample sentences later on.

But that voice before the switchover is more comforting  I find. But like with any announcements, 9ve4 time they become background noise, especially the ones at GO stations and bus terminals.

EDIT: Lustening back to these audio recording from my Zoom Text software, it's very similar. I don't mind this voice and not the French one. Can't get the full complete match of the safety  message or the right tone or precise speed, but I'd prefer this, as much as the other one that was used prior was excellent.

Edited by newflyerinvero
Included the Zoom Text audio recordings.
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Doppelkupplung said:

Sept.......Sept.......SeptSeptSept

3 hours ago, T3G said:

There was a time when it was Sept...........Sept..............Sept...........Sept...........Sept.

The first few times I heard that I thought something had jammed like a cassette.

Is Metrolinx so cheap they can't get actual human beings to record their announcements? I can't stand this era of computer generated everything.

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CvvCOjxo7IM/?igsh=MjJkMmIyYzQxYw==

Reminds me of something from a local TV commercial back in the early 90s in Cantonese - of a health food store in Toronto's Chinatown called "Sun Ming Hong" (Sorry for the self-promo, by the way) - especially their phone number in Cantonese.

5 hours ago, newflyerinvero said:

That voice for Zoom Text I have on my laptop is so similar to the current English one that's being used. I'll see if I can get an audio recording of some sample sentences later on.

But that voice before the switchover is more comforting  I find. But like with any announcements, 9ve4 time they become background noise, especially the ones at GO stations and bus terminals.

EDIT: Lustening back to these audio recording from my Zoom Text software, it's very similar. I don't mind this voice and not the French one. Can't get the full complete match of the safety  message or the right tone or precise speed, but I'd prefer this, as much as the other one that was used prior was excellent.

It's the same voice.

I have the GO lady in my toyota car to read my texts to me.

GO has posted info about lots of New Year's Eve extra services on the Kitchener, Barrie, etc lines.

Most of them have no indication that post-midnight return trips are added. I am shocked, shocked, that Metrolinx does not expect anyone from Toronto to go to say Georgetown to party and ring in the new year! And then safely get back to Toronto on GO.

Also I'm puzzled by this one:

• The 1:02 a.m. train departing Mimico GO will depart 2 minutes earlier and will not stop at Aldershot or West Harbour GO.  

If they mean the 0:45 train from Union that is scheduled to arrive at Mimico at 01:00, why do they not give the train's Union departure, why Mimico? Or is there a special train departing Mimico that we don't know about?

1 hour ago, Ed T. said:

GO has posted info about lots of New Year's Eve extra services on the Kitchener, Barrie, etc lines.

Most of them have no indication that post-midnight return trips are added. I am shocked, shocked, that Metrolinx does not expect anyone from Toronto to go to say Georgetown to party and ring in the new year! And then safely get back to Toronto on GO.

• The 1:02 a.m. train departing Mimico GO will depart 2 minutes earlier and will not stop at Aldershot or West Harbour GO.  

If they mean the 0:45 train from Union that is scheduled to arrive at Mimico at 01:00, why do they not give the train's Union departure, why Mimico? Or is there a special train departing Mimico that we don't know about?

Maybe they are dead heading crews and decided to put the train into service. Lol

• Confused 1

6 hours ago, Ed T. said:

Cause if you live in Toronto, you're expected to party in Toronto (the heart of the GTA entertainment). You don't leave Toronto to go elsewhere to party only to come back to Toronto.

1 hour ago, Orion V said:

Cause if you live in Toronto, you're expected to party in Toronto (the heart of the GTA entertainment). You don't leave Toronto to go elsewhere to party only to come back to Toronto.

20 year old me on his way to get ripped with his McMaster buddies in 2000 would disagree.

• Haha 4

On 12/18/2023 at 2:55 PM, Ed T. said:

Some considerations:

The free service is until 8am New Year's Day (Jan. 1) for anyone who might decide to spend the night - or in this case ride all night! https://www.gotransit.com/en/partners-and-promotions/free-go-and-up-express-service-on-new-years-eve

• Thanks 1