GO Transit

Enzo Aquarius

Hey guys I just had a quick question I was wondering about. Do you think GO Transit would be allowed by the province to operate in other areas of ontario not near the GTHA/Niagara areas? Why Im asking is I wonder if down the line if theres ever a regional transit that does happen down here in the Windsor area, I wonder if GO could jump on that to operate the system? I dont think there would be any barriers other than the usual permits to operate in certain municipalities(aside from any financial info obvs).

Just for operations sake, is that possible?

1 hour ago, drevil0208 said:

Are any of the initial super-lo's destined for Oshawa? Or are they all going to be in the west since all the routes from Oshawa (except 92 to Yorkdale) can already use the other DD's?

It sounds like the first batch of them will be based at Streetsville. How big that batch may be, I don't know. But considering that there are 253 of them on order, I suspect that you won't have to wait to long to see them system-wide.

Dan

28 minutes ago, drevil0208 said:

I'm guessing they will retire more older D4500s?  

Also, I wonder if once they get far into the order, will they retire the older full height DDs which are approaching 10 years old? Or newer D4500s?

GO Transit retire their buses according to age and mileage being put on the bus.  In that way being said, Go will most likely retired their 8000's in the next 2-3 years

17 hours ago, MaT said:

Hey guys I just had a quick question I was wondering about. Do you think GO Transit would be allowed by the province to operate in other areas of ontario not near the GTHA/Niagara areas? Why Im asking is I wonder if down the line if theres ever a regional transit that does happen down here in the Windsor area, I wonder if GO could jump on that to operate the system? I dont think there would be any barriers other than the usual permits to operate in certain municipalities(aside from any financial info obvs).

Just for operations sake, is that possible?

GO Transit's service area is regulated by the Metrolinx Act - or to be precise, by Regulations created by the Minister under poewrs granted by that act. The servcie area is currently defined at https://www.ontario.ca/laws/regulation/090189. So, from a legal standpoint, the Minsiter would have to amend the Regulation (or create a new one)... but there's nothing stopping them from doing that. 

GO is also exempt from the permits required to operate transit service across municipal borders. (As is Ontario Northland, but not municipal transit agencies.) So, if GO wanted to operate buses down to Windsor, they'd need the minister to change the formal service area, and that's all. 

Proposals to extend GO's service area come up all the time, and sometimes they even happen! The last one (I think) was extending bus service to Peterborough (and Peterborough County). Service to Brantford (and Brant County) was announced recently, but hasn't yet started. (And the Regulation will need updating first...)

Operationally, the main issue is distance from the garages - which results in lots of deadheading (potenitally) and slow responses to breakdowns.

In regards to the Niagara Exursion trains...
I notice the last train to Niagara Falls arrives close to when the last return trip to Union on a Saturday/Sunday. If this was a Saturday, would that last train to the Falls be the 8:30AM train to Union on the Sunday (or holiday Monday) morning, or if this was a Sunday, would that Falls-bound evening train have to do a quick turnaround and head back to Union? Been wondering about that.

Just now, TomW said:

GO Transit's service area is regulated by the Metrolinx Act - or to be precise, by Regulations created by the Minister under poewrs granted by that act. The servcie area is currently defined at https://www.ontario.ca/laws/regulation/090189. So, from a legal standpoint, the Minsiter would have to amend the Regulation (or create a new one)... but there's nothing stopping them from doing that. 

GO is also exempt from the permits required to operate transit service across municipal borders. (As is Ontario Northland, but not municipal transit agencies.) So, if GO wanted to operate buses down to Windsor, they'd need the minister to change the formal service area, and that's all. 

Proposals to extend GO's service area come up all the time, and sometimes they even happen! The last one (I think) was extending bus service to Peterborough (and Peterborough County). Service to Brantford (and Brant County) was announced recently, but hasn't yet started. (And the Regulation will need updating first...)

Operationally, the main issue is distance from the garages - which results in lots of deadheading (potenitally) and slow responses to breakdowns.

I meant a standalone service in essex county in my post, not going to the GTA, but just a service within essex county only. I believe only permits would be needed?

For those curious about where the new double deckers (SuperLo buses) will be, here is the link: http://www.gotransit.com/Public/en/news/newbuses.aspx

Current routes (until the service change in September): 

• Route 45: Streetsville GO to York University 
  • Route 46: Oakville GO to York University 

Routes to receive in the September booking: 

• Route 15: Aldershot GO Station to McMaster University 
  • Route 16: Union Station to Hamilton GO Centre
  • Route 18: Aldershot GO Station to Hamilton GO Centre
  • Route 47: Hamilton GO Centre to York University 

38 will be in revenue service by the end of this year. 

All 253 SuperLo double decker buses will be in service by 2020. 

On 7/26/2016 at 0:55 PM, tomsbuspage said:

Spotted 8166 (500th) stopped with warning triangles around it, on Keele St. northbound just before Great Gulf Dr. in Vaughan, yesterday afternoon at about 4:15 PM.

8166 broke down again.  This time at Ellesmere and Military trail.  It was driven under its power after the mechanics repaired it on the spot.

6 hours ago, Wonka said:

Looks like there will be a ton of double deckers running around Hamilton, come September. Should be interesting to see, given how frequent the 16 runs.

Just because the 16 will be receiving double deckers doesn't mean that every single bus will be a SuperLo. Specific runs (most often the busiest trips) will be dedicated SuperLo runs, and other route 16 trips that are run by divisions that aren't Hamilton or that interline with other routes (21, 31, etc.) won't get SuperLo buses either.

Same story applies for the current batch of double deckers; not every run on routes that run double decks are equipped with DDH or DDL buses. It all depends on what division the bus is from, and what routes the bus interlines with and whether they are allowed to run double deck buses.

1 hour ago, York Transit said:

Is there a reason there was a GO Train running on Saturday afternoon @ Unionville GO. Spotted it at the same time a 71 Lincolnville-Union Bus pulled in.

It came into the station, opened its doors, closed its doors and left.

Special train for the Caribbean Festival this weekend. All lines save for Barrie and Lakeshore had 'em.

Dan