GO Transit

Enzo Aquarius

Been wondering...
When Go had their most recent service changes and improvements last month, the 19 between Finch & Square One is the main branch, the 19A and not shifted to be the main branch as the 19. I say this as the 29 between Guelph Central Go and Square One was adjusted to be the 29 and not 29A. Any reasoning?

This is a question that may seem a bit out there, but may be good to ask.

Seeing as the GO 16 QEW Express is always packed regardless of the Lakeshore West Go line being frequent 7 days a week at every half hour, is there a chance to perhaps creating a 16A branch to Oakville GO if it means to provide a more faster trip to Hamilton GO Centre in the interim before more train service is offered to both the Go Centre and West Harbour.
I'm just curious given how the RER would essentially create varying types of express or local services. Maybe GO could be looking at that with a preview of Hamilton-Oakvlile as part of the future RER. Just a thought, but am unsure how realistic it is.

17 hours ago, newflyerinvero said:

Seeing as the GO 16 QEW Express is always packed regardless of the Lakeshore West Go line being frequent 7 days a week at every half hour, is there a chance to perhaps creating a 16A branch to Oakville GO if it means to provide a more faster trip to Hamilton GO Centre in the interim before more train service is offered to both the Go Centre and West Harbour.

I don't see how this would be faster than the existing buses between Aldershot and the Go Centre.

A 16A route seems pretty pointless to me. There's already 2 different ways between Hamilton and Toronto and if there are no delays, they take about the same amount of time to make the trip anyway (though in rush hour the train is usually faster). GO would be better off allocating resources toward all day service at West Harbour.

There's always the 47 bus as well which makes stops in pretty much every city from Hamilton to Toronto.

• 2 weeks later...
12 minutes ago, 110B West Pickering said:

When did 2002 get referbed, its great what they have done with it.

Series 1 Bilevels started around last year. They do look great. They look just like the Series 8A Bilevels and have USB charging ports.

A couple questions.

First off, when GO made their service changes back in September, what was behind the decision to have the Route 19 only have a 19A/B/C and not having the main branch, between Finch & Square One as the 19, similar to what was done with the 29, as that route no longer serves Cooksville? The 29's branch beteen Guelph Central GO and Square One was the 29A, now it's just the 29. What changed for the 19?

Next, I don't seem to understand as much with the changes for the GO 96 seeing as the service generally is an express service but, still uses the 401 as it's main roadway to go from place to place. Saying that passengers can use the Lakeshore East GO Line at least between Oshawa and Rouge Hill. What about the services towards Finch from Scarborough Centre? Does GO see that there's more options for those passengers to use the TTC go to to Finch that they wouldn't want to be depended on as a faster option to Finch?

On 11/6/2016 at 9:59 PM, 110B West Pickering said:

weren't  the new cabs supposed to have power outlets as well? what happened that?

While I can't remember if it was promised, many CEM cab cars have face plates covering roughed in outlets. Just with wiring only inside and no outlets.

• 2 weeks later...

At the Barrie RER TPAP meeting, Metrolinx staff noted that year-round weekend service on Barrie Line will start in January. This will be followed by weekday midday two-way service + additional peak service (1-2 roundtrips) by Summer or Fall, which will require the completion of the following pieces of infrastructure:

• Passing track between York University and Rutherford
  • Temporary storage tracks at Bradford
  • 7th storage track at Barrie storage facility
  • Like 2

15 hours ago, Shaun said:

Any news on weekday service? 

Was my post above not clear enough?!

Are there any plans to have bus service to other destinations from Barrie?

Simcoe County Transit will start rolling out routes to Midland/Penetanguishene in 2017, Orillia in 2018 and Wasaga Beach/Collingwood/Blue Mountain in 2019. 

Other than that, Greyhound and Ontario Northland has services up Highway 11 and 400, and Muskoka District runs the Corridor 11 route up to Huntsville. Parkbus offers direct services from Toronto to Algonquin, Killarney, Tobermory and Honey Harbour. I'd rather see these services connect with the train in Barrie than GO starting its own routes.

On 11/21/2016 at 8:51 PM, dj.surf.lfs said:

At the Barrie RER TPAP meeting, Metrolinx staff noted that year-round weekend service on Barrie Line will start in January. This will be followed by weekday midday two-way service + additional peak service (1-2 roundtrips) by Summer or Fall, which will require the completion of the following pieces of infrastructure:

• Passing track between York University and Rutherford
  • Temporary storage tracks at Bradford
  • 7th storage track at Barrie storage facility

Awesome. Good to hear progress!

22 hours ago, 110B West Pickering said:

Interesting to see they used the number 4000 not 2900 or 3000

what are some notable changes over the 2800's?

The 3000s are already being used, so they wanted to keep clear of it. That's also the same reason why they didn't start with 2900.

On the interiors, they are the same as the CEM cab cars, without the cab obviously.

Dan

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, 110B West Pickering said:

What are the 3000 being used by? Do they count UPX?

if they do count UP, did they just use 4000 as a nice round number, also noticed the new font colour and location on the coach has changed

The UP "C" cars are numbered in the 3000s.

On 11/24/2016 at 1:05 PM, dj.surf.lfs said:

Gormley Station on the Richmond Hill Line opens December 5, 2016.

Schedule: http://www.gotransit.com/timetables/en/PDF/Timetables/12161216/Table61.pdf

Note that the first and last afternoon train will end at Richmond Hill, with train-bus connection to Gormley.

http://www.gotransit.com/public/en/news/gormley/default.aspx

I might pass by since I'll be in the neighbourhood. 

WELCOME TO YOUR NEW COMMUTE!

Starting December 5, 2016 we’re introducing GO service to the new Gormley GO Station, located on Stouffville Road between Hwy 404 and Leslie Street, in Richmond Hill. With train and bus service, plenty of parking and a brand new station, there’s more reasons to GO.

VISIT THE STATION

You're invited to our community event at Gormley GO Station on December 4th from 12-2pm.

Before we launch service come celebrate with us! There will be a free train ride from 1-1:45pm, which will travel to and from Gormley. We know kids get a kick out of trains. You can also check out the new station, one of our newest GO buses, meet our mascot GO Bear and hang out with our Transit Safety Officers.

If you have small children and need to bring a stroller, please use small strollers that are compact and foldable. If you have a larger stroller or a wagon, etc. we recommend storing it in your vehicle for the short train ride. Also, try to avoid boarding the Accessibility Coach – 5th coach, in the middle of the train – as priority seating is given to those with special needs. We know space is limited; courtesy and consideration will help make it a comfortable and safe ride for everyone.

On 11/11/2016 at 10:50 AM, MiWay0310 said:

Anybody know what that whining sound is that buses equipped with allisons make in 5th gear? Its faint in older buses but pretty audible in the newer ones 26xx+. 

Allison LBSS program to save fuel economy

On 12/1/2016 at 9:35 AM, ridgid13579 said:

Been lurking around but decided to make an account, so first post. Please forgive me if i'm posting this in the wrong spot...

Turns out GO bus 8320 is active. Spotted it today. (Sorry for potato quality photo). I thought it was 8310 or something, but it was too shiny.

IMG_20161201_092625.jpg

8324 is the highest and most of them are now assigned in Hamilton area!

On 11/8/2016 at 11:27 PM, newflyerinvero said:

A couple questions.

First off, when GO made their service changes back in September, what was behind the decision to have the Route 19 only have a 19A/B/C and not having the main branch, between Finch & Square One as the 19, similar to what was done with the 29, as that route no longer serves Cooksville? The 29's branch beteen Guelph Central GO and Square One was the 29A, now it's just the 29. What changed for the 19?

The 19 to Oakville were duplicating the 46 and ridership were getting lower and lower after many years.  And the demand service on 19 from Square One is needed for AM rush.

29 to Cooksville GO is simple:  Low ridership!

• Like 1