Misc. OC Transpo & STO Questions & Discussion

SMS

5 minutes ago, MCIBUS said:

Route 44 at chadeuir bridge

Double deckers have been on the Chaudiere Bridge before with no issues. I've seen it on Route 105 before. 

11 minutes ago, Orion V said:

I noticed on the wiki it says the 81xx are Go Anywhere type. So does that mean the 80xx are the standard North American height which are taller than the 81xx hence have more travel restrictions?

There are no additional restrictions when an operator is assigned an 80xx versus being assigned an 81xx. 

29 minutes ago, Oc4526 said:

If I remember correctly,  @Enviro_1203 metioned there is some clearance issues with one of the lanes. However the bridge is still cleared for DD use. 

As long as the bus isn't too far to the right on either direction at Chaudiere Bridge, then there is no issue.

Streetview: https://goo.gl/maps/hG8jxT92rNT2

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Orion V said:

I noticed on the wiki it says the 81xx are Go Anywhere type. So does that mean the 80xx are the standard North American height which are taller than the 81xx hence have more travel restrictions?

The 80xx double-deckers are also Go Anywhere buses and are roughly the same height as the 81xx buses; the wiki doesn't say it but they were.  The 12xx buses were overheight, requiring special permits and being limited to certain bus routes.

Edited by tomsbuspage
Updated based on feedback.

19 minutes ago, tomsbuspage said:

The 80xx double-deckers are also Go Anywhere buses and are the same height as the 81xx buses; the wiki doesn't say it but they were.  The 12xx buses were overheight, requiring special permits and being limited to certain bus routes.

I was under the impression that the 80xx buses were 4.149m while the 81xx buses were 4.114m. Is that not the case?

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, dev161 said:

correct the 8100s are slightly smaller in height , but not very noticeable 

Alexander Dennis doesn't even make the full-height (4.3-m) Enviro500 for North America now... they only offer the standard 4.1-m ("Go Anywhere") and 3.9 m SuperLo versions. There's little to no demand for a vehicle that can't even meet most US and Canada height clearances...

https://www.alexander-dennis.com/media/69790/enviro500-brochure.pdf

https://www.alexander-dennis.com/media/69789/enviro500-superlo-brochure.pdf

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Transit geek said:

Alexander Dennis doesn't even make the full-height (4.3-m) Enviro500 for North America now... they only offer the standard 4.1-m ("Go Anywhere") and 3.9 m SuperLo versions. There's little to no demand for a vehicle that can't even meet most US and Canada height clearances...

https://www.alexander-dennis.com/media/69790/enviro500-brochure.pdf

https://www.alexander-dennis.com/media/69789/enviro500-superlo-brochure.pdf

dev161 never stated that there was. What are you on about?

42 minutes ago, OCTranspoMaster said:

I don't think this has been mentioned. STO has removed ALL bike racks from their 09XX and up. It was falsely reported before that STO keeps them on year round.

Where did you see this ? 

When I posted about the Velo Bus service at STO It metioned only running till Oct 31st. (Unless you were thinking of Transcollines as up until this year they had racks year round) 

8 minutes ago, Oc4526 said:

Where did you see this ? 

When I posted about the Velo Bus service at STO It metioned only running till Oct 31st. (Unless you were thinking of Transcollines as up until this year they had racks year round) 

I think you may be right. I may have mistaken it for Transcollines

On 1/14/2019 at 12:37 PM, OCTranspoMaster said:

I think you may be right. I may have mistaken it for Transcollines

Transcollines has a level of awesomeness high enough for them to take direct action based on user feedback. Transcollines says no racks in winter, users complain, racks are back all year round!

essentially, racks are still all year round on Transcollines!

• Like 1

On 1/13/2019 at 5:40 PM, Oc4526 said:

That's correct. 

From my knowledge the following routes have clearance issues.

299(former 99 branch)

The Wb portion of the 16 in Sandy hill (Range Rd)

The Snow Bus (Seasonal)

The 50/152 

The 45/106 (Rehab Centre)

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong or Add others. 

I believe route 7 has issues, specifically in OOS.
Generally, some of the issues are right at the curb: a transport truck would fit, but a bus pulling up to the stop would not clear a tree etc.

22 hours ago, Flalex72 said:

I believe route 7 has issues, specifically in OOS.
Generally, some of the issues are right at the curb: a transport truck would fit, but a bus pulling up to the stop would not clear a tree etc.

ive driven round trips on the 7 using a DD , never any issues, 16 at range isn't cleared but with precision and skill you can make it 

On 1/17/2019 at 11:01 PM, dev161 said:

ive driven round trips on the 7 using a DD , never any issues, 16 at range isn't cleared but with precision and skill you can make it 

Interesting - I know there are some routes that aren't cleared because of significant tree trunks that lean out over the curb. A DD would clear when driven normally, but if the driver pulled over to the curb it could cause issues. Range may fit that criteria, the glass on the Rideau Centre parking garage is similar.

STO Questions:

What month were the first Classics built/delivered to the STO in 1984? I've done the math and noticed that the STO Classic era will turn 35 this year.

I was also informed from a Facebook Group that 7901 will be celebrating it's 40th anniversary in March this year also! :)

I am planning a trip to Gatineau next week and it looks like getting a Multi day pass will not be a simple feat. I will arrive in the National Capital region on VIA Rail and will use my Presto card to get from Tremblay Rd station to my hotel in Hull. I am arriving at 7 PM, after many of the Point of sales are closed! So I do not know where I will get STO tickets for the rest of my trip. The STO service centres are out of the way and the opening hours are very restrictive anyway. If I was not a transit fan I am sure I would have given up already and just planned to use Uber or to stay on the Ontario side.

47 minutes ago, Chris_the_traveller said:

I am planning a trip to Gatineau next week and it looks like getting a Multi day pass will not be a simple feat. I will arrive in the National Capital region on VIA Rail and will use my Presto card to get from Tremblay Rd station to my hotel in Hull. I am arriving at 7 PM, after many of the Point of sales are closed! So I do not know where I will get STO tickets for the rest of my trip. The STO service centres are out of the way and the opening hours are very restrictive anyway. If I was not a transit fan I am sure I would have given up already and just planned to use Uber or to stay on the Ontario side.

http://www.sto.ca/index.php?id=rechargement&L=en you can go here for a list of places that sell tickets (also if you're in ottawa, depending on how much oyu're planning on using transit, you can get a multi day pass from OC Transpo, they do work on STO, believe they have 3, 5, and 7 day passes).

6 hours ago, corynv said:

http://www.sto.ca/index.php?id=rechargement&L=en you can go here for a list of places that sell tickets (also if you're in ottawa, depending on how much oyu're planning on using transit, you can get a multi day pass from OC Transpo, they do work on STO, believe they have 3, 5, and 7 day passes).

The Octranspo  Multi day passes can only be purchased from Carling, Carleton, Mooneys bay & Greenboro Stations.

6 hours ago, Chris_the_traveller said:

The Sto also sells multi day passes. Which are valid on Octranspo.

They can be bought from Stn De La Cité. 

You can buy an #octranspo day pass with your Presto card (do note that you will receive a paper version) this will be valid on the Sto