Miscellaneous TTC Discussion & Questions

Orion V

12 hours ago, nagaBus said:

I see. It seems really wasteful that buses have to wait an entire light cycle if they miss the signal. They could have made an exception for that particular intersection.

How would they proceed there if they miss their signal? They'd have to turn across the regular traffic lanes, which would be patently unsafe.

Dan

On 5/7/2023 at 8:34 AM, smallspy said:

How would they proceed there if they miss their signal? They'd have to turn across the regular traffic lanes, which would be patently unsafe.

Dan

Assuming green transit signals go first before the regular green signals and not at the same time:
I was thinking about reprogramming the Sheppard/Parkway Forest signals to be timed similar to the signals at the York University busway, where buses could wait less for oncoming Dufferin traffic to stop, and could theoretically have a longer time to cross the signal (I'm not sure if the signals are longer if there's a lot of buses trying to enter the busway).
But, given that the Sheppard/Parkway intersection is quite busy due to its proximity to the 404/DVP, Don Mills Road, and buses trying to enter Don Mills Station, and that the Dufferin/Finch intersection just south of the busway can get quite congested, I'm not sure if it would be a good idea.

Edited by nagaBus

Given that Queensway operated S50 powered D40LFs and ISL powered OG Diesels at the same time, did they ever have (and I guarantee not) S50EGR powered OG Diesels? The same way Birchmount had S50EGR powered OG Diesels and ISL powered NG Diesels yet temporarily had ISL powered OGs twice (the ISL powered OGs being a combination of Birchmounts other 2 models and the S50EGR powered OGs being a combination of Queensways other 2 models) ?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Toro said:

Given that Queensway operated S50 powered D40LFs and ISL powered OG Diesels at the same time, did they ever have (and I guarantee not) S50EGR powered OG Diesels? The same way Birchmount had S50EGR powered OG Diesels and ISL powered NG Diesels yet temporarily had ISL powered OGs twice (the ISL powered OGs being a combination of Birchmounts other 2 models and the S50EGR powered OGs being a combination of Queensways other 2 models) ?

What's your question?

• Haha 3

33 minutes ago, Shaun said:

What's your question?

Had a feeling I worded that terribly lol, did Queensway ever had any 7400-7881 units? Although I don't ever recall them having any I think they would've fit perfectly in their fleet

1 hour ago, raptorjays said:

I think 7400-7881 were seen mostly in the East end. Eglinton & Birchmount division

Eglinton and birchmount had them up until retirement, arrow had a bunch at the beginning of their lives and at other times, wilson temporarily had a few once

Revisiting the TTC's artic fleet with the new ones starting to arrive. Once the new ones enter service, the diesel artics that MtD has will be sent to the east end divisions Malvern and McNicoll. The 5 3rd gens they have will probably join the rest of the ones at Wilson. Arrow's artics will probably go to McNicoll when line 6 opens. Fleet allocation and the routes that they'll be used on could look like something like this:

Malvern: 55 units (9027-9081) routes: 902, 903, 905, 985

McNicoll: 71 units (9082-9152) routes: 39, 53, 939, 953

Mount Dennis: 68 units (9400-9467) routes: 29, 927, 929

Wilson: 26 units (9000-9002,9004-9026) routes: 7, 960

The 941 should switch back to standard buses so that the 927 can use them considering that the 927 is a busier route. The 960 probably already has some artic runs on occasion, but I think that route should be fully artic while keeping the current headway, and the 7 could use mostly standard buses and a few artics. For McNicoll, they will most likely prioritize their artics to their two busiest routes which are Finch and Steeles. There is word that the 902 will be switching to artic operation in the fall. When the 903 is reintroduced, that route will be artic as well with line 3 closing. Jane is a really busy route, however, putting artics on that route will make service worse if the headways are widened, which is what usually happens with artics. The 905 is a great example of that if you look at the headways now, compared to the ones they had before switching to artics. But we'll see how this will play out.

3 hours ago, Elijah bey said:

I have a question which bus retired the quickest

And which bus had the most collisions in it's life.

The shortest lived buses in more recent times are definitely the Orion VIs, they only lasted 8 years before being scrapped

5 hours ago, glxzyy said:

Is there a specific thread where I can report about broken down buses?

Unless there was an accident or a specific reason for it to be out of service long term we don't track it, since lots of buses break down on the daily

4 hours ago, Elijah bey said:

I have a question which bus retired the quickest

And which bus had the most collisions in it's life.

Both of these questions are very vague and your answers can be on the wiki