Miscellaneous TTC Discussion & Questions

Orion V

9 hours ago, lifty4ever said:

There's also the routes that have branch letters that is missing a letter due to a branch being canceled. 52C LAWRENCE WEST and 32B EGLINTON WEST do not exist anymore as their branches were either replaced or canceled. But instead of moving the others up so one of those branches filled in the missing letter, they just left a gap which i think would confuse some out of town/new to town individuals who'd wonder where the missing branch is. When the 35 JANE was restructured following the opening of Pioneer Village station, they filled in the missing letters. There was the 35A, 35B, 35C and 35D. The D no longer exists (No dirty thoughts for you!). C is a Sunday morning only branch. B which used to be the Pioneer Village branch took over the old A branch routing and goes via Hullmar during rush hours. A is the new main branch taking over from the old C. Much less irritating for people with OCD and no missing letters!

OCD people have a hard time with the 109 RANEE where the 109A has been missing for decades. Those were the days when 7C BATHURST (current 7) is the main branch with 7E (Wilson Stn to St Clair West Stn) being a rush hour supplementary branch.

Current list includes:

11A/C BAYVIEW
32A/C/D EGLINTON WEST
36A/B/D/F FINCH WEST
52A/B/D/F/G LAWRENCE WEST
54A/B/D LAWRENCE EAST
60A/B/D STEELES WEST
70A/C O'CONNOR (70C is currently suspended)
73B/C/D ROYAL YORK
84A/C/D SHEPPARD WEST
87A/C COSBURN
91C/D WOODBINE
96A/B/D WILSON
97B/C/D/F YONGE
109B/C RANEE
112B/C WEST MALL
123B/C/D/F SHERWAY
960B/D STEELES WEST EXPRESS

Then there is a list of routes where A is missing, extended branch or very limited operated branches:

17A BIRCHMOUNT (17C is the main branch)
37A ISLINGTON (37B is the main branch)
53A STEELES EAST (53B is the main branch)
73A ROYAL YORK (does not exist)
91A WOODBINE (A and B does not exist)
97A YONGE (indefinitely suspended) 
102A MARKHAM RD (102B is the main branch)
109A RANEE (does not exist)
110A ISLINGTON SOUTH (110C is the main branch)
112A WEST MALL (does not exist)
123A SHERWAY (does not exist)
129A McCOWAN NORTH (129B is the main branch)
134A PROGRESS (134D is the main branch, 134A is limited to early Saturday trips)
927A HIGHWAY 27 EXPRESS (927B is the main branch, 927A is limited to 9-11am college trips with no summer trips)

• Confused 1

On 6/18/2023 at 2:56 PM, Xtrazsteve said:

The 30A HIGH PARK NORTH and 42A CUMMER have joined the growing list of single branch routes with a branch letter.

The list currently includes

21C BRIMLEY
30A HIGH PARK NORTH
42A CUMMER
56A LEASIDE (56B "temporary" discontinued due to COVID declines)
70A O'CONNOR (8 has "temporary" taken over the 70C)
74A MT PLEASANT (never ending crosstown construction)
90A VAUGHAN (never ending crosstown construction)
100A FLEMINGDON PARK (never ending crosstown construction)
105A DUFFERIN NORTH
953A STEELES EAST EXPRESS (953B indefinitely discontinued due to lack of operating funds)

In recent years, the 98C WILLOWDALE-SENLAC has revered back to the 98. The current 31 GREENWOOD extension didn't join the list. When the 71 RUNNYMEDE and 116 MORNINGSIDE became single branch routes, they lost their letters. 

You forgot about 105D (Wilson Station to Steeles).

5 hours ago, Elijah bey said:

Why are the windows so dirty when the TTC bus is on 72 pape the windows are so dirty like it's not winter where they usually get dirty.

Look at where the route travels through and you'll have your answer.

6 hours ago, Xtrazsteve said:

OCD people have a hard time with the 109 RANEE where the 109A has been missing for decades. Those were the days when 7C BATHURST (current 7) is the main branch with 7E (Wilson Stn to St Clair West Stn) being a rush hour supplementary branch.

Current list includes:

123B/C/D SHERWAY

You forgot the branch that necessitated the route being renamed from SHORNCLIFFE to SHERWAY since it did not travel on Shorncliffe: 123F

It could very well have been given its own route name and number so that they didn't have to rename the route along with the necessary signage changes at Kipling.  Plus, it would have lessened the OCD complaints about the lack of a 123E.  What would an express version of that route look like given the various branches?  Perhaps simply a non-stop route between Kipling and Long Branch with only Sherway as the intermediate stop.  That way it could run on either the North Queen or East Mall routing, or even the 427!  I doubt there's enough of a demand for such a service, but it could be marketed as a Sherway Gardens shopping shuttle linking the mall to both the subway and Lakeshore West GO line.

19 minutes ago, Gil said:

You forgot the branch that necessitated the route being renamed from SHORNCLIFFE to SHERWAY since it did not travel on Shorncliffe: 123F

It could very well have been given its own route name and number so that they didn't have to rename the route along with the necessary signage changes at Kipling.  Plus, it would have lessened the OCD complaints about the lack of a 123E.  What would an express version of that route look like given the various branches?  Perhaps simply a non-stop route between Kipling and Long Branch with only Sherway as the intermediate stop.  That way it could run on either the North Queen or East Mall routing, or even the 427!  I doubt there's enough of a demand for such a service, but it could be marketed as a Sherway Gardens shopping shuttle linking the mall to both the subway and Lakeshore West GO line.

Let me fix that. They totally should give that another number like 128 WEST MALL SOUTH when that was available. I guess 183 is open.

E branches are now leftovers for express school trips. The only routes are 12E, 46E, 111E and 112E.

If it's an express, it would be in the 900s , maybe 923 SHERWAY EXPRESS. Probably take the 427 with stops at Dundas/East Mall and Queensway/North Queen. Perhaps continue to Long Branch as local service replacing whatever that goes down there when this express operates. Then the 123A would be back!

8 hours ago, Xtrazsteve said:

Let me fix that. They totally should give that another number like 128 WEST MALL SOUTH when that was available. I guess 183 is open.

E branches are now leftovers for express school trips. The only routes are 12E, 46E, 111E and 112E.

If it's an express, it would be in the 900s , maybe 923 SHERWAY EXPRESS. Probably take the 427 with stops at Dundas/East Mall and Queensway/North Queen. Perhaps continue to Long Branch as local service replacing whatever that goes down there when this express operates. Then the 123A would be back!

I would have made the express an offshoot of whatever number they'd assign to the 123F and keep SHERWAY in both names.  They could then go back to the 123 SHORNCLIFFE.  MiWay had an express of sorts from Sherway to Islington with the rush hour service extension of the 4 APPLEWOOD (I think they axed it when they branded the route SHERWAY), so there is precedent. 

Until Ikea restores their shuttle from Kipling, and if they're willing to foot part of the bill perhaps running the express down Kipling and across on Queensway to Sherway and then down to Long Branch might also appeal to shoppers.  It'd be a single seat ride to either Kipling or Long Branch.  Even better if they ever sort out the TTC/GO co-fare!

• 2 weeks later...
7 minutes ago, Kelvin3157 said:

Line 2 extension is currently under construction.

I know, but didn't the government say that they would extend Line 4 east to Sheppard Ave and McCowan Ave and connect with the Line 2 extension? Or is that project currently paused?

1 hour ago, glxzyy said:

I know, but didn't the government say that they would extend Line 4 east to Sheppard Ave and McCowan Ave and connect with the Line 2 extension? Or is that project currently paused?

Right now, a business case is being prepared for extending Line 4 to Sheppard and McCowan along with extending to Sheppard West to see if it is worthwhile along with the potential cost implications. Other than that, there is no info on if it will be funded or will happen. 

2 hours ago, glxzyy said:

Line 4 extension was never in delivery. The only actually planning was done was studies back in the 80s. All that has been floating around is a line on a map.

If they actually built that LRT instead, it would probably be running now. 

On 6/30/2023 at 2:58 AM, York Transit said:

e1feaf711fa96a9cc342848901a0b142

MTA NYC Subway displaying different fare gate prototypes at Grand Central

Same graphics as the Metrolinx software

It's an off-the-shelf Scheidt & Bachmann faregate, it runs their software the same as the TTC and OC Transpo.

16 hours ago, glxzyy said:

They've promised extending the Line 4 east and line 5 west from Renforth to Pearson airport, but only studies so far.

(Line 2 extension to Sheppard, Line 5 extension from Mount Dennis to Renforth, Line 1 Yonge extension to Highway 7, Ontario Line, Hurontario from Steels to Port Credit, Line 5 from Mount Dennis to Kennedy, and Line 6).

There's also a study planned for an Ontario Line extension north from Eglinton - though nothing from the province on that, other than a job ad.

19 hours ago, littlewill1166 said:

A PRESTO gate is an off-the-shelf Scheidt & Bachmann just with the graphics/sounds changed for PRESTO. The back end even runs on FareGO.

What I was referring to was that the test gates had the PRESTO labelling on them

• Like 1

On 7/6/2023 at 2:08 PM, Kelvin3157 said:

What I was referring to was that the test gates had the PRESTO labelling on them

image.thumb.png.d0e09218145eba55584f25d724c968f0.png

The screen says New York City Subway... I'm not sure "presto gate" was the best way to describe the gate... 

More like Frankenstein Gate since the screen area is painted black like the ones in Boston.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 3

4 hours ago, littlewill1166 said:

image.thumb.png.d0e09218145eba55584f25d724c968f0.png

The screen says New York City Subway... I'm not sure "presto gate" was the best way to describe the gate... 

More like Frankenstein Gate since the screen area is painted black like the ones in Boston.

The pad.

Where they tap the card.

Look at it again. At the 2:04 mark.

55 minutes ago, Kelvin3157 said:

The pad.

Where they tap the card.

Look at it again. At the 2:04 mark.

It's a Frankenstein gate. It has a little of everything from 3 different agencies. It's like if you got a quarter pounder from McDonald's McDonald's and a Whopper from Burger King and switched the parties around. Is the Whopper still a Whopper and is the Quarter Pounder still a quarter pounder? Or are they both just hamburgers?

2 minutes ago, littlewill1166 said:

It's a Frankenstein gate. It has a little of everything from 3 different agencies. 

Including a Presto logo. Here's the frame mentioned above - though you can see it in a different report as well.  

Equipment must have been borrowed from Presto. Looks to me that there were different models of gates in the demo.

image.thumb.png.45bdb8ac27a44e8d75db41a1863f1e9f.png

• Like 1