Miscellaneous TTC Discussion & Questions

Orion V

I spotted an EGLINTON EAST bus heading westbound signed 34S to Bayview. Where do the buses turn around?

More then likely a on the street loop Via Rohamption Ave and Mount Pleasant. Though this is dependent if the driver is returning east. or just filling in for a trip.

The routing for buses on Eglinton short turning at Bayview is either clockwise or counter-clockwise using Eglinton-Bruce Park-Roehampton-Bayview. I think clockwise is the more common routing though based on my experience of seeing this short turn occur a number of times.

At previous TTS slide shows, I have seen pictures of Gloucesters and an M-1 that split a switch in Davisville yard (in the case of the Gloucester, they even derailed) and they were repaired and returned to service. So chances are that that T-1 will be back.

You can't assume that. You have no idea what kind of damage the over-rotation of the trucks did, and the location of the equipment underneath the bodies is far different under a T1 than the older pieces of equipment in any case.

As well, once the TRs have been fully delivered the TTC will have a surplus of T1s. Coupled with the fact that they are half-way through their lives, it may just not make financial sense to fix the unit.

So they can store 8 train sets there?

Yes. They will also store 2 additional trains at Kipling once the siding is constructed there.

So is that 8 more train sets that can be run on the line?

No.

Will they have more room to play since the T1's are more reliable than the H cars?

By room do you mean a higher ratio of spares? If so, than yes.

I dont know if there is any shortage of equipment...

There isn't. But there will be a good-sized surplus of equipment once all of the TRs arrive.

Dan

I saw a flemingdon park bus at broadview stn yesterday and it was short turning at brencliffe. What caught my eye was the way the short turn message was displayed. It had the 100S in big letter on the left side of the screen as usual, then top half of the other side said flemingdon park, then the bottom half said "to brencliffe"... then the screen would clear and in big letters it would say "short turn". Is this the new way that they are now displaying the messages?

I saw a flemingdon park bus at broadview stn yesterday and it was short turning at brencliffe. What caught my eye was the way the short turn message was displayed. It had the 100S in big letter on the left side of the screen as usual, then top half of the other side said flemingdon park, then the bottom half said "to brencliffe"... then the screen would clear and in big letters it would say "short turn". Is this the new way that they are now displaying the messages?

Yes and no. Yes is for the main short turn sign. Before the bottom line on the front destination signs would switch between "short turn" and the location. So in this situation the bottom line would alternate between "Short Turn" and "To Brentcliffe". The recent sign update has removed the short turn part so the bottom line now shows "To Brentcliffe" only. The two lined "Short Turn" is a P/R code and has been programmed for years, but not all drivers took advantage of it. So in the end what you saw was a combination of a route code and a P/R code being inputed at the same time to show the route "100S" and the P/R message "Short Turn". The same thing can be done on express routes to show the express route sign (for example, "192 Airport Rocket") followed by the P/R message "Express" taking up the entire screen. Although, similarly to the Short Turn P/R code, the Express P/R code is not used as often as it could be.

The routing for buses on Eglinton short turning at Bayview is either clockwise or counter-clockwise using Eglinton-Bruce Park-Roehampton-Bayview. I think clockwise is the more common routing though based on my experience of seeing this short turn occur a number of times.

It is suppose to be counter clock wise. The reason some drivers use clockwise is that we cannot make the turn from Eglinton with cars parked on both sides on Bruce Park. It is illegal to park cars on the right hand side on Bruce Street. I just wish the parking enforcement enforce this regulation. Anyways Mount Pleasant short turn is only used if the Bayview Short Turn is completely block. We use the loop which is located right under the apartment building (right behind Macs).

Looks like more D40LF are getting the orange horizon Destination signs. I saw one that had it on the side of the bus, but the front still had the Luminator. I didn't get the bus number.

as the old signs fail & IF there are spare horizon signs available, they are getting changed over..

There's a couple of D40LFs that have a LED side sign and ODK4.

Also on the topic of LED, 5316-5317 have LED interior lighting in addition to 5100. Is this a trial?

Sure it's not 5326-5327? I remember those may have gotten them after rebuilt by BBD (haven't rode either lately).

Since last week, the YUS St.George NB platform got new (much) brighter lighting only along the car 6 area beyond the OneStop screen. Makes the rest of the station look all the more dingy. Also at least that area seems to have gotten a power wash on the opposing wall tiles. Not sure if related to the elevator work which is also in that area.

EDIT: New lighting installed further down the platform as well.

Out of all the buses in the fleet, which ones performed best in the snowstorm? (I was out of town so I missed the whole thing)

Hard to say, many opinions. The HF's should fair better as they have a higher ground clearance then the LF's. As the bus drives along the snow builds up underneath the bus getting caught on the low hanging suspension components, this increases drag and lifts the bus up slightly which reduces traction.

HF's tend to have better weight distribution than the LF's, the V's benefit from the 2000lb lift over the front wheels.

It all comes down to the driver though, a good driver will have the best chance in any vehicle but some vehicles are better than others.

In my experience the hybrids are the worst in the snow for so many reasons.

GM's were by far my favorite in the snow. Apart from them, the Orion V's (66-67xx's) were pretty good as well, but the RTS's were heavy beasts and I never had a problem with them (except maybe not starting on my last chance to drive one).

As far as hybrids, they were ok if you knew how to properly drive in the winter (as in, not floor it when you lose traction). Most drivers I worked with did just that, and created some lovely polished ice hills on some routes (Oakwood hill N of Davenport being a bad one because the lane width limited where else you could drive and it was impossible to get a running start at it).

GM's were by far my favorite in the snow. Apart from them, the Orion V's (66-67xx's) were pretty good as well, but the RTS's were heavy beasts and I never had a problem with them (except maybe not starting on my last chance to drive one).

As far as hybrids, they were ok if you knew how to properly drive in the winter (as in, not floor it when you lose traction). Most drivers I worked with did just that, and created some lovely polished ice hills on some routes (Oakwood hill N of Davenport being a bad one because the lane width limited where else you could drive and it was impossible to get a running start at it).

Actually any route along Davenport where the grade is problematic starting at Lansdowne(47), (63 & 161), Dufferin (29), Christie (126) and Bathurst (7).

Actually any route along Davenport where the grade is problematic starting at Lansdowne(47), (63 & 161), Dufferin (29), Christie (126) and Bathurst (7).

I personally don't remember the hill being that bad, but CTV had a camera crew on Avenue Rd. during the snow with cars and trucks struggling to make it up the hill just south of St. Clair (where the Davenport Hill would be if Davenport continued east rather than heading south). They didn't have any buses in their footage though!

I noticed that ALRV car 4239 had been modified so that the first row of seats behind the rear door is only a single rather than a double (on both sides of the streetcar. Is this recent? If not, I assume it's only a handful of cars that have been modified.

Edit ... oh wait, I found a post here from 2 years ago making the same comment. I guess I haven't made it to the back of that car before (I spend most of my time on CLRVs).

question (stupid though it may be?):

subway measurement, specifically horizontal alignment.....

Referring to subway markers, you know the ones you see easily in open area like Warden (803,804 etc and in stations 755 +100)

Every item, door, etc etc is mapped out to the inch so there can never be any misunderstanding of the exact placement and so on...

It used to mean 645(hundreds of feet) + 100feet and so on. A station would be 630+100, 630+200 etc to 630+500 for a 500 ft platform

Is this still in marked off in feet???? Dunno about Kipling but Bloor is around 500 and Kennedy is around 936 or so.

OR did they at some point painstakingly go in and redo every single tunnel marker in metric????

(There used to be a huge map-type book in Urban Affairs showing exact horizontal and vertical alignments of all subways along with foot and mile markers but this has long gone I guess with the increased security thing...)