Miscellaneous TTC Discussion & Questions

Orion V

You do realize that twatter isn't the only way to lodge a complaint with the TTC right? If you find that 160 characters isn't enough to properly convey your concerns why don't you try email? This seems like a very obvious solution to a simple problem.

Oh, I do, when I can document a real good one. Like 5-packs of buses sitting in Dufferin loop for some time, then finally leaving heading north simultaneously ... with the front run running 10 minutes late and the back one running 5-minutes early ... and a 20 minute gap until the next one.

However, a simple "the display at 15th Avenue and 3rd Street has failed", or "the speaker at the back of bus 7325 is broken" is quite tweetable, and normally straight-forward.

Though I scratch my head on why "doesn't a 30-minute gap on a 3-minute service during rush-hour require some notice to clients, and some better judgement in transit control" actually requires a debate, and excuses on why they don't have to tell anyone.

Did TTC not put up a flyer on that bus stop, saying this stop is not in use?

Hard to say ... I only pass once every week or two. Those fliers disappear. And the paper signs that are taped to the stop about being out-of-service aren't designed to work for months. Anyone can remove them (and I've removed a couple in the past saying my stop is out of service, after construction has finished, and the streetcar has consistently been using it again).

The TTC is not particularly well known to reply to emails. It wouldn't surprise me if he did, and that the TTC never responded to it - I've certainly experienced that many times in the past.

I don't think that's true - any more at least. On the rare occasion I haven't had a response, I've had a response to a follow-up.

• 2 weeks later...

https://twitter.com/...388231561949184

New turnstiles as part of the Presto rollout.

Ill be impressed if:

1) If the TTC is actually able to implement something like this

2) There arent severe issues with the new turntiles once they are put in place

How big is the gate? If the gate pivots and is slow to react, we're going to have a ton of bottlenecks.

Hong Kong's MTR employs a similar turnstile, but the barrier snaps into the turnstile housing very quickly.

Good gosh how wide are those things? There are lots of stations where the current number of turnstiles is inadequate for the usage in morning and evening, so they'll get replaced with a lot fewer, slower, and undoubtedly much more expensive gates?

it may be faster than the old ones. You have to swipe the entire metropass before you can enter whereas you just have to tap the presto card to enter.

it may be faster than the old ones. You have to swipe the entire metropass before you can enter whereas you just have to tap the presto card to enter.

That's a limitation on the card reader, not the turnstile itself. Go watch the retrofitted turnstiles down at Union and see how much faster they are when being used for Presto.

Good gosh how wide are those things? There are lots of stations where the current number of turnstiles is inadequate for the usage in morning and evening, so they'll get replaced with a lot fewer, slower, and undoubtedly much more expensive gates?

After looking closely at the right side of the picture, I think what this is is what will replace the current accessible gates.

After looking closely at the right side of the picture, I think what this is is what will replace the current accessible gates.

It isn't, actually.

It's mearly a demo by the manufacturer to show what it is capable. One of the discussions that the TTC still needs to have with Presto/Metrolinx is whether the best solution is to continue to use the existing design of fare gate (retrofitted with a Presto reader) or move to something like these.

Dan

Also with the current turnstiles, I've been caught swiping too fast, while the person in front is still going through the turnstile, and they manage to somehow give it a bit of an extra turn, and then I can't get through. So now I pause a bit before swiping.

If this is like gates I've seen in Europe, it should be faster than current - or at least no slower. Also, now the accessible entrance becomes a turnstile everyone can use.

It isn't, actually.

It's mearly a demo by the manufacturer to show what it is capable. One of the discussions that the TTC still needs to have with Presto/Metrolinx is whether the best solution is to continue to use the existing design of fare gate (retrofitted with a Presto reader) or move to something like these.

Dan

Ah. I wasn't sure because there was a turnstile off to the right of the photo and wasn't sure if this was a demonstration of what can be done with Presto or what will be done with it.

How big is the gate? If the gate pivots and is slow to react, we're going to have a ton of bottlenecks.

Hong Kong's MTR employs a similar turnstile, but the barrier snaps into the turnstile housing very quickly.

That model of gate comes in a 24 and 36 inch width, for standard and accessible gates.