GO Transit

Enzo Aquarius

2 minutes ago, Doppelkupplung said:

Any reason why can ar has been using some bus bays at USBT? Saw it last week and again today while at work. Always around midday when there’s no bus rush. 

Can-Ar runs two cross-country routes out of there, IIRC one heads north to Lindsay and Haliburton County and the other heads northwest towards Kincardine.

• Thanks 1

What are Metrolinx' plans for the Canpa sub? They are certainly doing a whole bunch of work, including fencing, the Horner and Evans level crossings, and now trackwork (out at 6:15 AM this morning). I assume that all this is preparing for fairly intensive use of the sub, which hasn't been the case recently.

I tried a search but didn't find anything useful, other than it could be used to 'reroute Milton trains'. I'm not sure why or how that would be done.

1 hour ago, Ed T. said:

What are Metrolinx' plans for the Canpa sub? They are certainly doing a whole bunch of work, including fencing, the Horner and Evans level crossings, and now trackwork (out at 6:15 AM this morning). I assume that all this is preparing for fairly intensive use of the sub, which hasn't been the case recently.

I tried a search but didn't find anything useful, other than it could be used to 'reroute Milton trains'. I'm not sure why or how that would be done.

GO already uses the Canpa Sub on a regular basis to pick up new cars that get dropped off by CP.

But I think the answer that you are looking for pertains more towards service. And yes, there are plans to run some service on the Canpa Sub in the near future. Lakeshore West trains for a couple of weekends will get rerouted that way while they remove the Jameson/Dunn/Dowling bridges. The original plans that I had been made aware of called for it to be in the summer, but now it seems like its been pushed back to the fall.

There is still some work to be done on the Canpa, however. While the track and ballast has been overhauled, and new crossing circuits installed at all of the level crossings, signals still need to be installed and connected before service trains will run on it.

Dan

• Thanks 1

On 8/13/2018 at 12:20 PM, Token Dispenser said:

Just noticed on the DDs how some of them on the upper deck have tape over the vents, or have tissue covering them. What is the reason for this?
Is the AC system not strong enough?

It's because the A/C is blowing cold air non-stop and passengers under it want to block it.

It's a poor design.

Could possibly be off topic but I've noticed some construction going on for the past month at the Fairview Mall bus terminal in St. Catharines including an enlarged concrete pad and new electrical supply. Does anyone know if this is related to GO Transit? Possibly a PRESTO Self Serve machine? I feel like it probably isn't STC related as they've already got their own departure display there. Would be a great way to cut down on the amount of people paying cash for the 12 bus if it is a PRESTO machine.

On 8/28/2018 at 7:01 AM, Ed T. said:

It's going to be used to reroute Lakeshore West trains for 9 weekends starting this coming weekend.

It's now many years since I rode a GO train on the Canpa Sub and was under CP crew operation - it was mandated that reverse moves were not permitted.  The engineer was required to walk from one end to the other and then a type A brake test done before proceeding. I'm guessing this was around 2010.

On 9/3/2018 at 5:16 AM, Shaun said:

Do they still need to make a reverse move at Kipling?

That depends on where the train is headed. In the case of the upcoming re-routes, no trains will need to reverse anywhere.

On 9/3/2018 at 5:16 AM, Shaun said:

What is the current track speed on the Canpa subdivision? 

Last I checked, it was 15mph. It may have been increased with all of the work that has been done there of late.

Dan

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, newflyerinvero said:

Just curious.
For any of the GO people on here, what happens when a train is cancelled? Does it stay at the area where it can't proceed, or would it be given other instructions to serve on another line, or to deadhead to another area/station to start another trip? Been wondering about this for a long time.

Depending on the situation, it either stays in the affected area or deadheads

On 9/7/2018 at 10:42 AM, Doppelkupplung said:

Anyone have a rough idea of how much longer the CAT MCIs have left? I suppose the 22s won't be here much longer but what about the later ones?

CAT units are up to 2419. At the end of August when I last checked, there was 2 22xx's left in service.

Those 08 models are still in relatively good shape.

1 hour ago, J. Bullock said:

CAT units are up to 2419. At the end of August when I last checked, there was 2 22xx's left in service.

Those 08 models are still in relatively good shape.

I was under the impression that the 22's were fully gone and only a select few of 23's were left as in-service buses presntly.
Maybe @general682002 could shed a bit of light on this.
I did see at least one of them (number unknown) around UOIT on Wednesday.

22 minutes ago, newflyerinvero said:

I was under the impression that the 22's were fully gone and only a select few of 23's were left as in-service buses presntly.
Maybe @general682002 could shed a bit of light on this.
I did see at least one of them (number unknown) around UOIT on Wednesday.

I don’t think the General will be providing any info. He hasn’t signed into the site for almost two years haha!

I’ve been wondering this for a while- Does anyone know why there’s no real-time apps for GO buses? Transee works for trains and I saw this past summer they have real-time boards at some of the terminals now, but still no bus tracking app

On 9/14/2018 at 1:25 PM, yrt1000 said:

I’ve been wondering this for a while- Does anyone know why there’s no real-time apps for GO buses? Transee works for trains and I saw this past summer they have real-time boards at some of the terminals now, but still no bus tracking app

Transit app has had real time GO bus information for two years. The open API is coming soon so other apps will follow.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/canada/toronto/article-metrolinx-to-boost-go-train-service-on-lakeshore-east-and-west-lines/

Highlights:

- 15 minute service or better on Lakeshore East between peak

- 3 trains per hour Lakeshore West as far as Oakville

The article mentions splitting 12-car sets into 2 6-car sets. I wonder how this will work? Or if they just mean there are now going to be more 6-car sets in service?

• Like 1