GO Transit

Enzo Aquarius

On 6/18/2018 at 1:52 PM, Ontario_Transit said:

Just a quick question, what type of elevators are in service at Scarborough GO?

Was at that station a few months back and if I'm not mistaken they could be Kone, who has installed a lot of elevators for GO recently.

Anyone who's in the know...
Was the time for having mobile Tim Horton's at certain GO Stations only a trial and not permanent? I'm disappointed as Oakville GO was a perfect location for one. I do'nt know why I do'nt like the Gateway version of their coffee, but for the trouble GO/Metrolinx went with constructing these mobile stores, only to close them a year later?
I did notice a couple months ago one opened at Burlington GO in their new station building and now its closed!

7 hours ago, newflyerinvero said:

Anyone who's in the know...

Was the time for having mobile Tim Horton's at certain GO Stations only a trial and not permanent? I'm disappointed as Oakville GO was a perfect location for one. I do'nt know why I do'nt like the Gateway version of their coffee, but for the trouble GO/Metrolinx went with constructing these mobile stores, only to close them a year later?

I did notice a couple months ago one opened at Burlington GO in their new station building and now its closed!

It was always intended to be a one year trial. More than anything, it was Metrolinx trying to convince Tim's to pay to build some permanent facilities at the stations. I don't know how successful they were in terms of sales, but considering the financial difficulties that Tim's parent company is currently in I wouldn't bet on permanent facilities being built anytime soon.

Dan

26 minutes ago, soo8513 said:

WiKi only goes to 4082; is 4088 part of a new or expanded order?

Same order. 125 cars total, with an unknown breakdown (although there are at least 13 accessible cars delivered from the batch so far).

Dan

Out of curiosity, what is the lifespan of a BiLevel coach? The Series Is are getting a bit long in the tooth but they certainly don't seem to be on their way out any time soon.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, PCC Guy said:

Out of curiosity, what is the lifespan of a BiLevel coach? The Series Is are getting a bit long in the tooth but they certainly don't seem to be on their way out any time soon.

They were designed for a 25 year lifespan, but GO is planning on keeping them for 50 years of service.

Dan

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

On 6/29/2018 at 8:51 AM, smallspy said:

It was always intended to be a one year trial. More than anything, it was Metrolinx trying to convince Tim's to pay to build some permanent facilities at the stations. I don't know how successful they were in terms of sales, but considering the financial difficulties that Tim's parent company is currently in I wouldn't bet on permanent facilities being built anytime soon.

Dan

Sales weren't great... Nobody has time to stop, wait in line for coffee, and get on the train, more people were inclined to stop at a drive thru before getting to the station. Morning Rush was the only real time that they saw customers, evening rush hour, everyone is in a hurry to get home, no time to stop for coffee. There were a lot of mitigating factors that made this pilot fail from the get-GO.

• Like 1

(Cross posted from UT)

This isn't directly related to GO construction but I can't think of a better thread. Took the GO train to Hamilton last night and to the Hunter St station. Passed through the work happening at Bayview Junction. Nothing further to note beyond what's been posted here. What I found interesting is that all the CTC signals on the CP line from Bayview Junction to Hunter Street station appeared to be turned off. Also, it looked like the tracks really aren't used that often but maybe that's just my perception. Is traffic down on this portion of the CP network? I also notice that the train travels pretty slowly from Bayview Junction into the Hunter Street station. 

Bringing this back to the topic of this thread I wonder if a slowdown by CP would allow GO to do any upgrades on the track? Or do the curves and the tunnel really limit how much can really be done here?

Just wondering what is meant by the passage "Final coach built to "classic" design; completed February 12, 2015" on the Series VIII BiLevel page for coach 2840? I am not aware of any differences between 2840 and 2841-2857.

If that means that it was the last coach built with the classic livery and older interior, the cut off point is actually 2837/2838. I'd update the Wiki myself but I first want to clarify whether that is in fact what is at play here, or whether there's something else about 2840 I don't know about.

On 7/7/2018 at 9:24 PM, PCC Guy said:

Just wondering what is meant by the passage "Final coach built to "classic" design; completed February 12, 2015" on the Series VIII BiLevel page for coach 2840? I am not aware of any differences between 2840 and 2841-2857.

If that means that it was the last coach built with the classic livery and older interior, the cut off point is actually 2837/2838. I'd update the Wiki myself but I first want to clarify whether that is in fact what is at play here, or whether there's something else about 2840 I don't know about.

I believe you can find the post in the delivery thread: 2840 was the last coach built to the design preceding the CEM design. The coaches numbered after it were apparently built before it.

• Thanks 1

On 7/6/2018 at 11:57 AM, Allandale25 said:

Bringing this back to the topic of this thread I wonder if a slowdown by CP would allow GO to do any upgrades on the track? Or do the curves and the tunnel really limit how much can really be done here?

I don't realistically see that happening. CP is in the business of moving freight, slowing it down means lost revenue.

19 hours ago, Transit geek said:

Did anyone notice a consist on the Lakeshore line during last Friday's evening rush consisting entirely of Series IX coaches? It was hauled by one of the two-tone-liveried MP40PHs.

They seem to do it from time to time. There was another consist a month or two ago - perhaps it was the same one - with only one non-CEM car and an older scheme loco.

Dan

20 hours ago, drum118 said:
I am assuming this will apply to GO Transit as well

Obvious question is, will people actually put them on. Because I doubt it'll be enforced. Not an accurate representation, but on my recent megabus trip, not many had them on. 

• Like 1