Future TTC Bus Orders

FlyerD901

12 minutes ago, FabianColeyLOVESBUSES said:

They aren't going back to CNG. They are simply studying it and how it could happen with help from Enbridge.

Dan

• Like 2

On 6/11/2018 at 12:38 PM, FabianColeyLOVESBUSES said:

Not so much an article but a puff piece for natural gas buses from a New York based organization. And the Star printed it anyway.

I think they are better off with converting busy routes into trolley bus routes than to go with electric or CNG buses. Taking the cost of each vehicles and installation of infrastructure, the cost can be similar but trolley buses is a proven technology. With modern batteries, trolley buses can disconnect and detour for a short distance.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Xtrazsteve said:

I think they are better off with converting busy routes into trolley bus routes than to go with electric or CNG buses. Taking the cost of each vehicles and installation of infrastructure, the cost can be similar but trolley buses is a proven technology. With modern batteries, trolley buses can disconnect and detour for a short distance.

Routes 6, 7, 26, 32, 40, 47, 61, 63, 74, 75, 84, 89, 94, and 98 would be suitable for a trolley bus network?

1 hour ago, TTC T6H-5307N 2252 said:

Routes 6, 7, 26, 32, 40, 47, 61, 63, 74, 75, 84, 89, 94, and 98 would be suitable for a trolley bus network?

People may want Trolley buses, but not going happen. A fair number of systems have moved to CNG or in the process, but not in TTC cards. It may deal with pollution very well, but the overhead become pollution that is not welcome by many, including me. 

Some years ago I was on the Ministry of the Environment Round Table Committee where representatives from the CNG industries were pushing the government to get transit agencies to move to CNG since there were better engines and other options out there than going to hybird and using diesel.  It never made it to the recommendation list going to cabinet. A lot of recommendations that did go to cabinet never saw the light of day.

E Buses are the future, but years off for lower cost.

1 hour ago, drum118 said:

People may want Trolley buses, but not going happen. A fair number of systems have moved to CNG or in the process, but not in TTC cards. It may deal with pollution very well, but the overhead become pollution that is not welcome by many, including me. 

Some years ago I was on the Ministry of the Environment Round Table Committee where representatives from the CNG industries were pushing the government to get transit agencies to move to CNG since there were better engines and other options out there than going to hybird and using diesel.  It never made it to the recommendation list going to cabinet. A lot of recommendations that did go to cabinet never saw the light of day.

I do like to see eBuses take off if they are reliable and can cover the range of busy routes. TTC had problems with CNG buses in the past and decided it's not worth it. Same with the hybrids and we'll see how these new hybrids perform.

With today's technology, trolley buses will be superior to eBuses in terms of reliability, mileage and vehicle life. I rather be on a bus that doesn't break down and can get me from A to B on a cold winter day than to have nothing show up.

Although the presence of more more overhead wires is unwanted by many, many of streets have hydro wires and poles along the side. It's not exactly unpolluted.

3 hours ago, TTC T6H-5307N 2252 said:

If the TTC was to install a trolley bus network, it will be for busy routes like the 7, 29, 39/199 and 35/195. Routes with high ridership and less branches.

I expect none of the technology are going to work out for the TTC and they're go back to diesel buses in the future or no buses at all. I don't not believe TTC will be ordering all emission free buses by 2025 nor would they set up a trolley bus network.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, dowlingm said:

Not so much an article but a puff piece for natural gas buses from a New York based organization. And the Star printed it anyway.

It’s a non starter as written.

all the gas those digesters produce goes into the tanks of the waste collection truck fleet. There’s nothing left for the TTC anyway.

9 hours ago, drum118 said:

If the engines are “better”,how come the the CNG garbage trucks (all Westport 9 litres) are lining up outside of Mid Ontario Mack’s door for inframe rebuilds at only 350 000km?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bus_Medic said:

It’s a non starter as written.

all the gas those digesters produce goes into the tanks of the waste collection truck fleet. There’s nothing left for the TTC anyway.

If the engines are “better”,how come the the CNG garbage trucks (all Westport 9 litres) are lining up outside of Mid Ontario Mack’s door for inframe rebuilds at only 350 000km?

I'm no engine expert, but based on what I read and knew at the time, I didn't support the idea of moving to CNG at the round table and not the only one who didn't support the idea. I have lost a few non CNG engines under 200,000 km doing mostly highway driving.

One only has to look to Hamilton HRS, Translink to see what is taking place.

Seen a number of US system testing out CNG and some have move 100% to it. Then funding and environment requirements are paid for by state and feds to make the move. Others are going E bus.

• 2 weeks later...
13 hours ago, D40-90 said:

So much for people saying NFI waste their time bidding on bus contracts. There's an option for up to 30 too

NFI didn't bid on this - it was sole-sourced. Just like the other contracts to BYD and Proterra.

Dan

• Thanks 1