Bombardier/Alstom Flexity Deliveries

46 minutes ago, WoodbineSecondExit said:

Is something wrong with the recent Flexity streetcars? For the last dozen cars or so before 4435, most of them entered revenue service 10-14 days after delivery but 8 of the last 11 cars 4435-4445 are needing 14+ days to enter revenue service. 4444 is at 19 days by my count and 4445 is close behind at 14.

Sounds like some of the final work is being done in Toronto to get the cars to Toronto quicker.

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Shaun said:

They dont need to wrap them during transport? 

No, as they are being delivered by flatbed cars in otherwise-ordinary freight train consists; contrary to Siemens of Florin, CA which afaik wraps all of its railcar deliveries as they are trucked along public highways. The TR subway cars were similarly wrapped for the same reason several years ago.

On 11/18/2017 at 8:05 PM, Transit geek said:

No, as they are being delivered by flatbed cars in otherwise-ordinary freight train consists; contrary to Siemens of Florin, CA which afaik wraps all of its railcar deliveries as they are trucked along public highways. The TR subway cars were similarly wrapped for the same reason several years ago.

That's interesting...I'm surprised that they wouldn't provide some sort of stone chip protection, similar to Novabus and NF delivery trips. Of course, the style of travel is completely different, but flying ballast is entirely possible, no? I haven't seen any paint issues on the Flexities so I doubt that issue is occurring. What got me thinking about it was the damage to the bottom part of VIAs LRC cars. They all have ballast sized dents in them scattered along the bottom of the car.

https://twitter.com/chrisjamesdrew/status/933078005022412806

Looks like 4453 will be with us soon...

6 hours ago, ttc rider said:

Does anyone have the delivery dates (that is, off-loading at Hillcrest) for cars 4451 & 4452? Also, did they drive under their own power to Leslie or were they towed?

4451 was Thursday, November 23 & 4452 was today (Friday, November 24)

12 hours ago, bus_7246 said:

4451 was Thursday, November 23 & 4452 was today (Friday, November 24)

Thank you! Car 4412 made a round trip from Leslie to Hillcrest and back yesterday during daytime. Did it return to Leslie with 4452 in tow?

1 hour ago, Rami A. said:

Just saw one of the new Flexities being delivered. It was on one of the CP trains and it was passing by the bridge near Brimley Rd and Sheppard Ave East. Anyone know which one it is?

That must be 4453.

13 hours ago, bus_7246 said:

4452 made its way to Leslie on its own power. 

They're now doing that, eh? Power on tests and primary inspections at Hillcrest than motor on down to Leslie?

On 11/18/2017 at 8:05 PM, Transit geek said:

Cars delivered to Calgary are only shipped by rail - no road transport is used. I believe that the same is the case for deliveries to Edmonton as well.

Dan

14 hours ago, bus_7246 said:

4412 was a training car. 4452 made its way to Leslie on its own power. 

Thanks for the clarification, much appreciated!

1 hour ago, smallspy said:

They're now doing that, eh? Power on tests and primary inspections at Hillcrest than motor on down to Leslie?

That's what they've been doing since March, when car 4433 was delivered - brake tests at Hillcrest immediately upon delivery, then driving under their own power to Leslie. 4432 was the last car to be towed down to Leslie back in February. The reason I asked about 4452 being towed was that with multiple deliveries due until year-end, I suspected that some cars were to be shipped unfinished (just like they did last November) to meet the schedule, which may have required them to be towed. It turns out I was wrong.