BC Transit Vicinity (Yaxing)

On 7/25/2016 at 2:24 PM, Seashore_518203 said:

Hmmm, let's see. They are made in China. It could go on a ship south by the Philippines, to the Indian Ocean, around the southern point of South Africa, across both the south Atlantic and North Atlantic to Halifax. Heck, from there it could have even gone down the St. Lawrence to Lake Ontario and even dropped it off at the Oakville Pier.

The other option of course is across the Pacific to Vancouver and then either rail or drive it to Oakville.

I wonder which one is shorter ! <_<

Its not always the shortest time. It also goes to which way cost the least.

On 7/25/2016 at 4:45 PM, Cimon8000 said:

almost all the import coming from Asia, would go through Pacific ocean and arrive on the west coast of Canada, I have never heard that they go across South Indian Ocean, then Atlantic Ocean to arrive East Coast Canada, which that route is very dangerous(via Africa) and time consuming, unless they are shipping something from China to Europe, or the other way around then they have no choice but to take that route(eg, shipping of brand new UK made buses to Hong Kong), which takes 6-8 weeks for the whole shipping process to complete

You will be shocked the amount of stuff that comes from Asia that is shipped through the Panama canal to the eastern seaboard of the USA.

• 1 month later...
6 hours ago, Silly Tilley said:

BC Transit orders an additional 17 Vicinity buses including 3 35 foot models. In combination with the current order for 41 30' Vicinities their order will be 58 buses by the end of 2017.

http://grandewest.com/node/260

17 more Vicinity are order, so 15 30 ft buses and 3 35 foot buses. Hopefully some are Vernon some which could be from 41 or the 17 order for the Vicinity. When does BC Transit hope Vicinity will arrive in BC? 

On 27/09/2016 at 0:19 AM, Blue Bus Fan said:

Hopefully some are Vernon some which could be from 41 or the 17 order for the Vicinity. When does BC Transit hope Vicinity will arrive in BC? 

We've been told that all of our Darts will be replaced with Vicinitys whenever they arrive. First it was Spring 2017. Now we're hearing Fall 2017.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Iron said:

We've been told that all of our Darts will be replaced with Vicinitys whenever they arrive. First it was Spring 2017. Now we're hearing Fall 2017.

It's whenever they finish building them and shipping them out to BC. Let's  hope they weren't built in a "rush" like the 2009 Novas were for the Olympics. I wouldn't be surprised if the Vicinity's end up all going to the small communities and Victoria ends up getting all the hand-me-down Darts. 9947 already made it to Victoria. 

5 minutes ago, Matt Dunlop said:

It's whenever they finish building them and shipping them out to BC. Let's  hope they weren't built in a "rush" like the 2009 Novas were for the Olympics. I wouldn't be surprised if the Vicinity's end up all going to the small communities and Victoria ends up getting all the hand-me-down Darts. 9947 already made it to Victoria. 

These buses are going to retired the Darts. 

On 28/09/2016 at 9:48 AM, Iron said:

The big problem is that BC Transit does a tender on everything.  Sometimes I wonder if they have an RFP process for morning coffee for the office.  Other places are outright buying the equipment from the manufacturer.  Therefore, BC Transit ends up waiting for equipment because they aren't paying full price.  I wouldn't doubt that they are in fact getting substandard equipment for this very same reason.  For example. We have Novas that are 6 years old that are complete rattle traps.  A few of them aren't too bad.  But some give you a headache you wish you had a gun to put yourself out of your misery. 

They need to simply order some damn equipment and stop this senseless waste of money they call an RFP.  The money to administer each one of them could be better spent sending a knowledgeable person shopping.

4 hours ago, dzldriver said:

The big problem is that BC Transit does a tender on everything.  Sometimes I wonder if they have an RFP process for morning coffee for the office.  Other places are outright buying the equipment from the manufacturer.  Therefore, BC Transit ends up waiting for equipment because they aren't paying full price.  I wouldn't doubt that they are in fact getting substandard equipment for this very same reason.  For example. We have Novas that are 6 years old that are complete rattle traps.

Can you please name the other public agencies that are are outright buying equipment from the manufactures as you suggest?

How do you figure BC Transit isn't paying full price?

The Tender/ RFP process is quite simple really: BC Transit writes the specs, publishes the RFP and vendors respond. BC Transit then evaluates the responses, and from most tenders I've seen, lowest price is not the only one factor involved in awarding a tender. Often it only accounts for 25-50% of the scoring for the RFP.

If you feel it's substandard equipment, then BC Transit wrote sub standard specs. There are probably pages upon pages of specs when BC Transit writes a bus tender.

Don't quote me, but, generally speaking it's my understanding that public entities pretty much have to tender purchases valued over a certain amount. Not totally sure how that works legally, but, this page lists a number of agreements that are related to requirements to tender: http://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/governments/services-for-government/bc-bid-resources/reference-resources/corporate-requirements-and-guidelines/trade-agreements

While this in the the US, you can certainly see the amount of tenders and other forms of procurement being used by a public transit agency: 

http://septa.org/business/quote/25k/

http://septa.org/business/bid/100k/

• Like 1

8 hours ago, dzldriver said:

For example. We have Novas that are 6 years old that are complete rattle traps.  A few of them aren't too bad.  But some give you a headache you wish you had a gun to put yourself out of your misery. 

They need to simply order some damn equipment and stop this senseless waste of money they call an RFP.  The money to administer each one of them could be better spent sending a knowledgeable person shopping.

That has nothing to do with the ordering process.  Buses (amongst other things) simply aren't built too last or the way they used to be anymore.  The old MCI we had up in Vernon for a while didn't have a rattle in her, next day back on the road with almost a brand new Nova and you'd be rattling away.  The difference is night and day.

Same thing where I am right now, the mid to late 90 MCI D4500s are solid, the new Js and X345s are flimsy in comparison.

Public procurement cycles. The US DoT provides capital funding for bus replacement based on a twelve-year service life, so agencies replace their buses every twelve years or so, so no one bothers designing a bus to last any longer than that. Now, Canadian agencies can stretch that by doing major structural and mechanical rebuilds, but it's much more of a stretch than in the old days.

On 28/09/2016 at 4:01 PM, Matt Dunlop said:

Built in a rush?? explain, and give evidence.   Make an FOI request to get the RFP (which was issued c.2007) if necessary.  If you do, I will split any costs.  

From an operational standpoint: 1/. crappy old darts beats crappy new(ish) Arbocs  2/. Victoria has more flexibility in terms of deployment (ie service hours/Kms) 3/. costs of repairs easily buried in a flexible budget

On 09/10/2016 at 9:06 PM, 9924 said:

That has nothing to do with the ordering process.  Buses (amongst other things) simply aren't built too last or the way they used to be anymore.  The old MCI we had up in Vernon for a while didn't have a rattle in her, next day back on the road with almost a brand new Nova and you'd be rattling away.  The difference is night and day.

Same thing where I am right now, the mid to late 90 MCI D4500s are solid, the new Js and X345s are flimsy in comparison.

Manny the CEO pushed BCT toward a 13 year life cycle for its conventional fleet in the late 2000s.   There were several reasons Nova won the contract(s), apart from price, they agreed to 1/. substantial penalties for late delivery, and 2/. a 12 year warranty on the body shell.  Very important at the time, since BCT had been dealing, and was still dealing with, major structural issues with its D40LFs.

On 10/13/2016 at 11:08 PM, Les Broughton said:

Built in a rush?? explain, and give evidence.   Make an FOI request to get the RFP (which was issued c.2007) if necessary.  If you do, I will split any costs.  

From an operational standpoint: 1/. crappy old darts beats crappy new(ish) Arbocs  2/. Victoria has more flexibility in terms of deployment (ie service hours/Kms) 3/. costs of repairs easily buried in a flexible budget

I had heard from multiple sources that the 2009 Novas were built "in a rush" so they would be in service for the 2010 Olympic games. There was evidence of at least one Nova that had the subfloor replaced under warranty. 

3 hours ago, Matt Dunlop said:

I had heard from multiple sources that the 2009 Novas were built "in a rush" so they would be in service for the 2010 Olympic games. There was evidence of at least one Nova that had the subfloor replaced under warranty. 

The official wording of the post from 2011-2012 which I use occasionally to reference this went as such: "Fast, Cheap, and Reliable - pick any two"

The Nova which had a rotten sub-floor in 2011 was 9327 - just two years after it was built. I remember a couple of other Novas having this problem too around the same time, but they were rebuilt and now do not have this problem.

• Like 1

On 18/10/2016 at 9:38 PM, SidneyTransitfan said:

The official wording of the post from 2011-2012 which I use occasionally to reference this went as such: "Fast, Cheap, and Reliable - pick any two"

The Nova which had a rotten sub-floor in 2011 was 9327 - just two years after it was built. I remember a couple of other Novas having this problem too around the same time, but they were rebuilt and now do not have this problem.

Since there is a 12 year warranty on the bus shell, this would be on Nova's tab.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 12/11/2016 at 11:40 AM, Chris W said:

Does anybody know what happened to the original 2009 test unit that ran all over BC? Was it sold off or does Grande West still have it?

Calgary Transit and CMBC were the last agencies to use that bus. Who knows, it could be in storage, or sold, or sent back to Grande West. 

On 3/20/2017 at 11:25 AM, ADB said:

It's interesting that a Voith transmission is now an option.

BCT loves Voith... Although I'm not sure how those Vicinity's would run with Voith. ZF has more power. 

On 12/11/2016 at 2:40 PM, Chris W said:

Does anybody know what happened to the original 2009 test unit that ran all over BC? Was it sold off or does Grande West still have it?

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=1812715199047404&set=gm.794980957319180&type=3&theater

That one? its in Atlanta with MARTA if that is the demo your talking about.