Miscellaneous TTC Discussion & Questions

Orion V

If anyone is wondering.... the one crossover at King is being utilized. Trains go into King's southbound. Platform, then crossover afterwards northbound. Track crews at track level manually change the switch point over. 

4 hours ago, leylandvictory2 said:

2 malvern drivers said they are getting it.  Birchmount regains the 22 from eglinton.  So no more interlining.  Eglinton will run shuttles 7 days a week on 501.  

Could the 57 be returned to Birchmount when the streetcars run on the 501 again in September?

1 hour ago, dayone said:

Could the 57 be returned to Birchmount when the streetcars run on the 501 again in September?

Then the 22 would be returned to Eglinton if that were the case

Also, does anyone have the link to the board period? I would like to see it for myself.

3 hours ago, TDE said:

If anyone is wondering.... the one crossover at King is being utilized. Trains go into King's southbound. Platform, then crossover afterwards northbound. Track crews at track level manually change the switch point over. 

I actually managed to get downtown to get a video of this

Would this be the first time the TTC has thrown switches manually in revenue service?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dayone said:

It's more likely Bmount will be given another streetcar shuttle. 503 would probably return to buses. 511's new streetcar deployment would totally be derailed if they continue to retire CLRVs. 

Sign ups for the next board period is in the next weeks. Ops would have seen what they can sign up for by this point.

7 hours ago, Kelvin3157 said:

Then the 22 would be returned to Eglinton if that were the case

Also, does anyone have the link to the board period? I would like to see it for myself.

Doubt it.  22 used to be run by Birchmount.  The only reason Eglinton took over 22 for a while due to construction at Coxwell Station.  504 should go back to streecars.

17 hours ago, leylandvictory2 said:

Birchmount regains the 22 from eglinton.  So no more interlining. 

Boo :) 22-70 was nice while it lasted, especially when travelling with a youngster for whom waiting for a connection is sometimes hard.

33 minutes ago, dowlingm said:

Boo :) 22-70 was nice while it lasted, especially when travelling with a youngster for whom waiting for a connection is sometimes hard.

With the interline, it could be a one-transfer ride from Toronto East General to Long Branch loop. That was back when some 501 cars ran through from Neville to Long Branch. I did this a couple of times.

1 hour ago, leylandvictory2 said:

A lot of drivers hate interlining.  I hate driv8ng a bus on the streetcar tracks especially when the ground is wet.

It's also hard to tell if the 22 bus would turn into a 70A or 70C without access to an app. Transferring between buses at Coxwell cause you got on the wrong bus (when it becomes the 70) will likely result in being double charged on presto.

Ok, I confirm that Malvern does indeed have 57 Midland, its on the sign up board at Malvern for the May 7 Board Period. And for some Ops you can check division info.

22 is back with Bmount, even though Coxwell station is nowhere close to being completed.

70 is with Eglinton.

I wonder of these two routes will still interline, I didn't check the run guides.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, IRT_BMT_IND said:

I actually managed to get downtown to get a video of this

Would this be the first time the TTC has thrown switches manually in revenue service?

As part of planned revenue service, I'm not sure. In the grand scheme of things, no, it's been done on an emergency basis before.

On 03/04/2017 at 3:32 PM, FlyerD901 said:

Ok, I confirm that Malvern does indeed have 57 Midland, its on the sign up board at Malvern for the May 7 Board Period. And for some Ops you can check division info.

Last time Malvern had the 57 MIDLAND was 1996 to 2000 right? I noticed it was one of TTC's original accessible routes when they received the first batch of 1996 Orion Vs. Would @Bus_Medic also ratify this change as well?

To other historians here, did the 57 MIDLAND move to Malvern when it first opened in 1983? I think it moved back to Birchmount around the mid-1980s.

4 hours ago, Antarctica said:

To other historians here, did the 57 MIDLAND move to Malvern when it first opened in 1983? I think it moved back to Birchmount around the mid-1980s.

The route history over on Transit Toronto lists 57 Midland as moving from Birchmount to Malvern upon opening in July 1983, and moving back in the mid-1980s. It then moved back to Malvern in 1996, then to Danforth in 2000, then New Eglinton in 2002, and back to Birchmount in 2010.

23 hours ago, Articulated said:

The route history over on Transit Toronto lists 57 Midland as moving from Birchmount to Malvern upon opening in July 1983, and moving back in the mid-1980s. It then moved back to Malvern in 1996, then to Danforth in 2000, then New Eglinton in 2002, and back to Birchmount in 2010.

Would it be correct to say only the 7400s were used on the 57 in 2005 and the 7700-7800s were not sent to 57 until 2010?

41 minutes ago, dayone said:

Would it be correct to say only the 7400s were used on the 57 in 2005 and the 7700-7800s were not sent to 57 until 2010?

Looking at the service summaries from early 2005, 57 Midland was officially assigned Orion VII's at the time. Whether the occasional GM Fishbowl or Classic was dispatched (of which Eglinton  still had quite a few at the time), I don't know. Also according to the Jan 2005 service summary, there were 200 Orion VII's on property as of Nov. 22, 2004, of which the first 160 or so were assigned to Eglinton at the time, if I recall correctly. All 482 buses were on property by the end of 2005 and at that point, they were split as follows:

7400 - 7557? Eglinton

7558? - 7699 Arrow

7700-7809 Eglinton

7810 - 7881 Birchmount

(can't recall the exact point of split in the 75xx between Arrow and Eglinton, but the rest is correct for sure)

So the answer to your question would be no, since buses in the 75xx, 77xx and low 78xx ranges have definitely made it out on the 57 in 2005. The January 2010 board period was when the route was re-assigned from Eglinton to Birchmount.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kelvin3157 said:

I think some 79xx series operated on 57 in 2010 as well...

They probably did as Bmount got a few 7900's loans from Arrow before the 8100's came to Bmount. Queensway got a few 7900's loans shortly after that for the new 145 route at that time. Wilson had 7925-7979 till mid 2011. Then then 7925-2969 joined Arrow's first 25 and Queensway got the remaining 10. Those remaining 10 moved to Arrow sometime in 2012. Then 7900's mostly shifted to Queensway and became very common.

On 4/5/2017 at 8:23 PM, ttc rider said:

Looking at the service summaries from early 2005, 57 Midland was officially assigned Orion VII's at the time. Whether the occasional GM Fishbowl or Classic was dispatched (of which Eglinton  still had quite a few at the time), I don't know. Also according to the Jan 2005 service summary, there were 200 Orion VII's on property as of Nov. 22, 2004, of which the first 160 or so were assigned to Eglinton at the time, if I recall correctly. All 482 buses were on property by the end of 2005 and at that point, they were split as follows:

7400 - 7557? Eglinton

7558? - 7699 Arrow

7700-7809 Eglinton

7810 - 7881 Birchmount

(can't recall the exact point of split in the 75xx between Arrow and Eglinton, but the rest is correct for sure)

So the answer to your question would be no, since buses in the 75xx, 77xx and low 78xx ranges have definitely made it out on the 57 in 2005. The January 2010 board period was when the route was re-assigned from Eglinton to Birchmount.

Thank you very much :). I had a feeling I rode on the 7700s on the 57 in 2005, but wasn't 100% sure. I can't remember encountering a fishbowl on that route, only the Orion VIIs.

Do you also happen to know how the 7500s were split by the end of 2004?