Streetcar News

CLRV4037

1 hour ago, smallspy said:

It did. The car was pushing a disabled CLRV.

I’m glad it was that, and not that the CLRV was pulling it, which is what I thought when I saw them going east on St. Clair towards St. Clair station before it happened.

17 hours ago, Mateo said:

I’m glad it was that, and not that the CLRV was pulling it, which is what I thought when I saw them going east on St. Clair towards St. Clair station before it happened.

A single CLRV can not reliably propel an LFLRV on its own. They found that a pair needed to work in unison, which of course opened up its own set of problems.

Dan

2 hours ago, smallspy said:

A single CLRV can not reliably propel an LFLRV on its own. They found that a pair needed to work in unison, which of course opened up its own set of problems.

Dan

Last year, pulling a LF with a C was done in it own. It was a hefty challenge for the C, but it was done. The harp fell off the LF, and there was no way of resurrecting the car due to low battery. The  Spadina hill by Bremner was the hardest part. 

44 minutes ago, Shaun said:

Does CP actually push the flat car into Hillcrest by parking it in the siding? 

Correct. Moreover, the portion of the siding that is "fenced in" as part of the Hillcrest property is only long enough to accommodate the flatbed (on which the Flexity sits) and the two idler cars on each side of the flatbed. Before being shunted onto the siding, one of the idler cars has to be uncoupled and moved to the other end of the consist so that the flatbed carrying the Flexity ends up aligned with the off-loading ramp. 

With two Flexities being delivered at once, and considering how short the Hillcrest siding is, I am willing to bet that once it gets to Agincourt, the consist will be split up and the cars sent one at a time to Hillcrest for off-loading, probably on two separate days, as well.

45 minutes ago, Shaun said:

Or does TTC have a buggy that can do it? 

I've never seen one.

3 hours ago, ttc rider said:

With two Flexities being delivered at once, and considering how short the Hillcrest siding is, I am willing to bet that once it gets to Agincourt, the consist will be split up and the cars sent one at a time to Hillcrest for off-loading, probably on two separate days, as well.

There is a 3rd track on the CP line (between Davenport and Ossington). They could hypothetically bring both cars (without the idlers), and once the first is unloaded, back up and spot it the third track, and then bring the second car in. Of course this would take a while to do. We'll see what happens, it might be interesting...

9 hours ago, WMATAC40LF said:

There is a 3rd track on the CP line (between Davenport and Ossington). They could hypothetically bring both cars (without the idlers), and once the first is unloaded, back up and spot it the third track, and then bring the second car in. Of course this would take a while to do. We'll see what happens, it might be interesting...

CP will bring all 4 flats for safety reason and clearance between the loco and the 2 cars or 3 with no idler at the rear. The rear car would be the first to be off loaded with the rear idler on the north track. Once the first car is off loaded, that flat and the idler between the 2 cars would be put on the north track. The 2nd car would be off loaded and all 3/4 flats return to the yard.

It shouldn't take more than 90 minutes to off load a car.

This will be a test run for the day when TTC could see 3 or more cars at the same time. It will be a test run for testing 2 or more cars at the same time.

14 hours ago, bus_7246 said:

Last year, pulling a LF with a C was done in it own. It was a hefty challenge for the C, but it was done. The harp fell off the LF, and there was no way of resurrecting the car due to low battery. The  Spadina hill by Bremner was the hardest part. 

It can be done in a pinch, sure.

But coming down the hill on St. Clair? Not going to happen with just one car.

Dan

56 minutes ago, drum118 said:

CP will bring all 4 flats for safety reason and clearance between the loco and the 2 cars or 3 with no idler at the rear. The rear car would be the first to be off loaded with the rear idler on the north track. Once the first car is off loaded, that flat and the idler between the 2 cars would be put on the north track. The 2nd car would be off loaded and all 3/4 flats return to the yard.

I very much doubt that both cars will be off-loaded at the same time. For one, there is physically not enough space on the spur that is part of the Hillcrest property for 2 flats + 4 idlers.

More importantly, doing what you suggest would involve having a CP crew available at all times while the off-loading happens, which costs $$$. For previous deliveries, what happened was that the flats were dropped off the Hillcrest and the off-loading happened separately, sometimes on a different day when the Hillcrest staff was available. For example, car 4440 was dropped off at Hillcrest on a Friday and off-loaded the following Monday. Car 4415 was delivered on Dec 24, but due to the Christmas holiday, it sat on the flatbed for five days before being off-loaded. So what I suspect will happen in this case is that there will be two local jobs to and from Agincourt.

On 11/18/2017 at 5:05 PM, smallspy said:

In a push/pull arrangement?

If so, how does the lead CLRV get into postion?

18 minutes ago, MiWay0310 said:

Speaking of which, how come the 514 gets more Flexities than the 504 on King? Obviously the 504 gets them to some extent, but not nearly as much as the 504...there a reason for this?

The 514 is converted to accessible service. They must provide Flexities if possible. 

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, WoodbineSecondExit said:

Continuing on a previous conversation, it looks like the Flexity's now have the yard signs programmed for some (all?) of the routes. Example: 509 Harbourfront/Leslie & Queen/via King. We did it!

You're correct. Every route has it's own Leslie, Russell and Roncy sign now.

4 hours ago, MiWay0310 said:

Speaking of which, how come the 514 gets more Flexities than the 504 on King? Obviously the 504 gets them to some extent, but not nearly as much as the 504...there a reason for this?

They have not officially begun to convert the 504 to the new cars as yet. The order was 510, 509, 514 and now they are in the process of converting the 512. I believe the 504 is next in line once the 512 is complete.

On 20/11/2017 at 8:20 PM, WoodbineSecondExit said:

Continuing on a previous conversation, it looks like the Flexity's now have the yard signs programmed for some (all?) of the routes. Example: 509 Harbourfront/Leslie & Queen/via King. We did it!

But will they use them. A couple of hours after you posted this, I rode a 510 Spadina to King all the way to Leslie.

BTW, will they let you ride down Leslie to Eastern, Lakeshore, or - dare I say it - Commissioners (which probably isn't very safe, with the turning lane there - but the other two Leslie stops look pretty normal. (though could put a very safe stop just after you turn onto "Commissioners" into the yard if they wanted).

1 hour ago, nfitz said:

But will they use them. A couple of hours after you posted this, I rode a 510 Spadina to King all the way to Leslie.

BTW, will they let you ride down Leslie to Eastern, Lakeshore, or - dare I say it - Commissioners (which probably isn't very safe, with the turning lane there - but the other two Leslie stops look pretty normal. (though could put a very safe stop just after you turn onto "Commissioners" into the yard if they wanted).

We're only permitted to take passengers as far as Lakeshore.

3 hours ago, Tom1122 said:

Something I've been wondering. If the TTC knew how long it would take to deliver the Flexitys, would it have been a good idea to finish 4063's rebuild? Maybe even rebuild a few more CLRVs in addition?

Hindsight is 20-20, isn't it?

Dan

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1