Winnipeg Transit and area

BCT-3122-D800-10240

Hi there, I'm a new member, long-time follower of the group...first time poster... Saw this in the Winnipeg Metro yesterday:

"Businesses not consulted on diamond lanes despite recommendation" -- sorry, couldn't add the URL myself, couldn't figure it out.

Wonder if this will result in WT removing the diamond lane on Main in this area.

Hi there, I'm a new member, long-time follower of the group...first time poster... Saw this in the Winnipeg Metro yesterday:

"Businesses not consulted on diamond lanes despite recommendation" -- sorry, couldn't add the URL myself, couldn't figure it out.

Wonder if this will result in WT removing the diamond lane on Main in this area.

Here it is: http://www.metronews.ca/news/winnipeg/2015/12/14/businesses-not-consulted-on-diamond-lanes-despite-recommendation.html

Now McDonald said his business is a “ghost town” during that time because people don’t like to park on side streets in the area.

Area Coun. Ross Eadie agrees with business owners that customers don’t feel safe parking on side streets, and as a result, bypass the businesses all together.

Maybe it's more of a safety issue. Most notably, the fights, stabbings, beggars and even the murder of one woman four years ago in that area (I had to attend court for my Criminal Justice class at Uni and observe proceedings). Not only that, the general feeling of not being safe. My mom wants to go shop at the new Neechi Commons marketplace that opened up for their meat deals, but there's no way that she could get there without getting assaulted, robbed or anything (she has issues walking/carrying things) by the people that linger the area. If anything, the cops should patrol the area more, make a few arrests, maybe get the city involved in making the area safe... those new LED streetlights and some British-style CCTV would work wonders.

However, I just don't see a reason why the city should remove the diamond lanes, in order to fix a WAY bigger problem. The West End is a bad neighborhood (even after 15 years of trying to rebuild it's reputation), and some businesses do have issues with parking... but there's also the safety aspect thats alot more important. One that definitely shouldn't be bandaged up by removing diamond lanes! Once you make the area safe, people will come by and support their local businesses, even if it means parking on a side street. Osborne Village is a good example of this.

Was told that artics might start showing up on the 160 and 161 in the new year.

Last rumour I heard was that Calgary Transit was having second thoughts about disposing of its "good" old buses while so many other systems are having problems with newer units.

This is no longer the "last rumour" on this topic.

Was told that artics might start showing up on the 160 and 161 in the new year.

This is no longer the "last rumour" on this topic.

On a side note, have all the D40 been retired now, or are there still a few screamin' around during the peak periods due to the issues with the newer buses?

A pity Winni can't take some of our 2002 Phantoms, the ISM/D864.3e powertrain is pretty reliable. Parts for Gilligs would be a bit of an issue up there though :lol:

Apparently the remaining D40s will be reviewed and some (but not all) will be kept for another year. Transit seems serious about the moratorium on new diesels until the industry resolves the problem blamed on the new emission control system.

I guess Transit feels pretty burned over the engine problems thought to be caused by the emission controls and doesn't want to get burned again.

On a side note, have all the D40 been retired now, or are there still a few screamin' around during the peak periods due to the issues with the newer buses?

A pity Winni can't take some of our 2002 Phantoms, the ISM/D864.3e powertrain is pretty reliable. Parts for Gilligs would be a bit of an issue up there though :lol:

12366480_937859772917083_186762672818196

Took this one at 8:45am today, also saw 691, 696 and potentially 683 today as well! They're getting hard to find, but definitely still roaring!

What are "cater zone buses"?

each part of the city is assigned a zone for transit employees to get home so zone 1 west end/ st james, zone 2 fort rouge/ charleswood, zone 3 fort gary/ st norbert, zone 4 southeast, zone 5 Transcona, zone 6 northwest and zone 7 northeast. and cater is catch a transit employee ride kinda like a dart for transit drivers to get home. on week day zone 6 gets the drivers from north and brings them to balm to catch there bus home same with zone 4 bringing them from FRG to balm.

• 2 weeks later...

With the UofM (and UofW) offering U-Passes this fall, expect to see a lot more D60LF during peak times.

Some of the buses are packed without the U-Pass system. It will interesting to see what the service levels are like come this fall. Winnipeg Transit did purchase extra buses for the increase ridership this fall.

So thinking about the moratorium on new buses, if that continues for a couple years and WT needs to obtain more used units, would they consider any LFS or VII? I realize from a parts/service perspective it would be best to try to keep an all NFI fleet. However I wonder if say 20 VII that were in good shape were available for a good price, would they consider non-NFI units?

Likely it will never happen, but just curious what others thoughts are.

With the UofM (and UofW) offering U-Passes this fall, expect to see a lot more D60LF during peak times.

Some of the buses are packed without the U-Pass system. It will interesting to see what the service levels are like come this fall. Winnipeg Transit did purchase extra buses for the increase ridership this fall.

I'm very interested in what routes will get more service. I'm dependent on the Osborne Village to UofM options (60 and 185) and since the Southwest Transitway opened the 60 in particular has been very reduced. With the U-Pass boosting ridership, will Transit add some frequency back to the 60?

At certain times of the day UofM buses are already jam-packed. More buses, and artics, will be needed.

So thinking about the moratorium on new buses, if that continues for a couple years and WT needs to obtain more used units, would they consider any LFS or VII? I realize from a parts/service perspective it would be best to try to keep an all NFI fleet. However I wonder if say 20 VII that were in good shape were available for a good price, would they consider non-NFI units?

Likely it will never happen, but just curious what others thoughts are.

I would think the chances of used Novabus LFS's or Orion VII's ever being bought by Winnipeg Transit are close to nil. There's always lots of chatter at tender time about whether or not Novabus will underbid NewFlyer, but when they aren't bound by tender rules and the choice is solely Transit Tom's, I can't imagine them buying something other than what they already know.

Note that the moratorium is on new diesel buses. (I would argue that it's even more narrow than that... diesel buses with Cummins current pollution-control device). XE40's wouldn't fall into that category... Neither would (new) LFS's if Novabus would offer an optional Volvo engine.