Winnipeg Transit and area

BCT-3122-D800-10240

19 hours ago, car4041 said:

Interestingly, despite this route change, I just transferred from the 185 to the 99 on the platform in Harkness Station. The 99 driver told me that he goes through the station in rush hour because it's faster than waiting in traffic on the street.

Since the route changes I've ridden the 68 past Harkness Station twice.  Once it passed by on Stradbrook Avenue, once it passed through the station. Both trips I made were in low traffic.  It was my guess that the driver who went through the station had just not noticed the route change.

I still wish the 99 and 68 stopped in the station.  Better connections and more consistent focus on the rt stations as transit hubs.

Portage Avenue is closed at the MTS Centre this morning due to a murder investigation. Buses are diverting via Smith and Ellice, which, together with the overall gridlock, is having the effects you'd expect on the service.  I heard this amusing exchange on the 162 at 8:50am:

Passenger (angrily): "Is this the bus that was supposed to come at 8:25?"

Driver: "No ma'am. This is the bus that was supposed to come at 7:50!"

• 1 month later...

The September service changes are out, sort of.  There are four route changes, and I think 28 routes with schedule changes.  At least I counted 28 on the poster I saw in a bus.  The Winnipeg Transit website has a table that lists 25 routes with schedule changes which must be wrong.  Obviously missing are the U of M routes (160 and 161) which always have a September schedule change, but I can't tell if the rest of the list is correct or it's just been cut-and-pasted from some other previous service change and has nothing to do with September 2016.

The route changes are [1] a minor extension to the Omands Creek branch of the 28 Brookside Express; [2] and [3] rerouting the 84 and 86 away from crossing the CN mainline at Waverley to a crossing at Kenaston instead, with the longer route shortened by moving the inner end of the routes from Windermere loop back to Stafford loop; and [4] turning the 94 in Fort Garry from a U-shaped route with two-way service into a clockwise-only one-way loop. The 94 also gets all-day service, which it didn't have before.

I assume the changes to the 84/86 are driven by the impending Waverley underpass construction project.  Clawing the terminal back to Stafford loop greatly reduces the options for transferring on to either downtown or the U of M, since the high frequency services now bypass Stafford loop in favour of the Transitway.

I don't know what to think of the 94 changes.  Bumping any route to all-day should be a plus, but converting a two-way service into a giant one-way loop seems incredibly bad.  It makes every two-way trip take the full time of the circle and the shorter one way is, the longer the return. 

I was very interested in any frequency changes driven this September by U-Pass.  That they botched the table of routes with schedule changes on the website, specifically it seems by forgetting the University of Manitoba routes, makes me less than confident.

I look at the poster on the bus, it looks like 160/161 were updated.

I got some of the new schedules already (from the Free Press). However, I only got a few of the new changes. (No #160, 84/86 or 78. But I did get doubles of the 75/76 & 94)

Using the 75.

Comparing the number of Special Trips while the UofM is in session (Shaded lines)
The number of regular trips remained the same.

KP/Lakewood to UofM

Fall 2015 - 25 Trips
Fall 2016 - 29 Trips

UoM to Lakewood/KP
Fall 2015 - 25 Trips
Fall 2016 - 28 Trips

7 hours ago, DavidW said:

The September service changes are out, sort of.  There are four route changes, and I think 28 routes with schedule changes.  At least I counted 28 on the poster I saw in a bus.  The Winnipeg Transit website has a table that lists 25 routes with schedule changes which must be wrong.  Obviously missing are the U of M routes (160 and 161) which always have a September schedule change, but I can't tell if the rest of the list is correct or it's just been cut-and-pasted from some other previous service change and has nothing to do with September 2016.

The route changes are [1] a minor extension to the Omands Creek branch of the 28 Brookside Express; [2] and [3] rerouting the 84 and 86 away from crossing the CN mainline at Waverley to a crossing at Kenaston instead, with the longer route shortened by moving the inner end of the routes from Windermere loop back to Stafford loop; and [4] turning the 94 in Fort Garry from a U-shaped route with two-way service into a clockwise-only one-way loop. The 94 also gets all-day service, which it didn't have before.

I assume the changes to the 84/86 are driven by the impending Waverley underpass construction project.  Clawing the terminal back to Stafford loop greatly reduces the options for transferring on to either downtown or the U of M, since the high frequency services now bypass Stafford loop in favour of the Transitway.

I don't know what to think of the 94 changes.  Bumping any route to all-day should be a plus, but converting a two-way service into a giant one-way loop seems incredibly bad.  It makes every two-way trip take the full time of the circle and the shorter one way is, the longer the return. 

I was very interested in any frequency changes driven this September by U-Pass.  That they botched the table of routes with schedule changes on the website, specifically it seems by forgetting the University of Manitoba routes, makes me less than confident.

This might sound crazy, but if Routes 84 and 86 were rooted up Stafford to Wellington, and looped around Osborne Village via River/Stradbrook into Harkness Station, wouldn't the options for transferring to Downtown or the U of M increase dramatically?

The 29 and 95 already cover that section of Fort Rouge, so service wouldn't be lost too much (I've taken the 29 around there at 1am, there's virtually no riders to/from Stafford or Windermere). Service along Stafford would increase, and if it went beyond Grosvenor, that's ridership for St. Marys Academy and Kelvin from Fort Rouge and Grant Avenue, from the new routing already implemented. Additional routing along Wellington with the 68/99/185, connections to three popular destinations (third being Osborne itself), evening and weekend service through Osborne Village (IIRC, the 99 only goes through the village and down Wellington on weekdays). It would duplicate some 185 service - but if the 84/86 are looking to make transfers to the U of M, it would bring up Route 185's ridership or at least knock up the passenger counters at Harkness. 

I couldn't see a problem with the new 84/86 routing to Osborne, if anything, it would bring significant ridership. The thing is, there may be a couple of small issues: mostly around the loss of direct Grant Park Shopping Centre service from Stafford (without transfers), and also - how much would Linden Woods/Whyte Ridge transit riders be able to take, for commutes? The previous route was bearable, but by skipping Waverley, going through Seasons, up Kenaston, down Grant and then ending up at Stafford without any proper transfers to the U of M... wouldn't they just end up taking the car? 

If they're going to remove the 84/86 Windermere stop/layover, they should either a] put in place a new (daytime) feeder route from Lindenwoods/Whyte Ridge/Waverley West to the U of M, or b] create a sub-section of Route 78 like Route 75's sub-section (U of M - Speers), that would run from Seasons to the U of M. Even if both routes are every 45-68 minutes, it would be enough of an appeasing option to keep people in Southwest Winnipeg using transit. 

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Viafreak said:

Apparently, Winnipeg Transit is bringing back tokens according to the CBC.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/winnipeg-transit-bus-tickets-coin-tokens-1.3747033

I think that they would more secure than the tickets as they would be hard to counterfeit.

Not "bringing back" but introducing for the first time.  Winnipeg has never had tokens before. 

As I understand it these won't be sold directly to the general public, but sold to social services agencies specifically for distribution to their clients. 

17 minutes ago, DavidW said:

Not "bringing back" but introducing for the first time.  Winnipeg has never had tokens before. 

As I understand it these won't be sold directly to the general public, but sold to social services agencies specifically for distribution to their clients. 

I think he was talking about the blue  loony 

2 hours ago, bus is coming 1965 said:

I think he was talking about the blue  loony 

Is the blue loonie still around? If I remember correctly it was a Downtown BIZ initiative and Transit signed up to accept them. I think originally Transit accepted them as a fare but later accepted them as one dollar towards a Transit fare.  I wonder how many of them ever made it into Transit's fareboxes...