Winnipeg Transit and area

BCT-3122-D800-10240

15 hours ago, Viafreak said:

I have seen artics on the 35, 36, 54, 57, 59 and 161. Transit only has 20 D60LFs. I was just wondering if they would have to buy new XD60/XE60/XN60 buses.

I observed an artic on route 35 in the afternoon rush this week.

I've been on the University of Manitoba campus twice since the start of September (Tuesday 06 Sep and Tuesday 13 Sep) and both days I observed Transit supervisors monitoring bus departures from the main terminal.  I would guess they're trying to assess whether or not they've scheduled correctly for the U-Pass traffic load.

I've been comparing the updated schedules with the schedules from September 2015 and as far as I can tell the service level changes for U-Pass are pretty minimal. No change to the 60 (unchanged since 2012) or 185 (unchanged from the December 2015 cutbacks). I couldn't spot any increases on the 36, 161 or 160.  A few extra short trips on the 75.  I haven't checked the 78 yet.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DavidW said:

I've been on the University of Manitoba campus twice since the start of September (Tuesday 06 Sep and Tuesday 13 Sep) and both days I observed Transit supervisors monitoring bus departures from the main terminal.  I would guess they're trying to assess whether or not they've scheduled correctly for the U-Pass traffic load.

I've been comparing the updated schedules with the schedules from September 2015 and as far as I can tell the service level changes for U-Pass are pretty minimal. No change to the 60 (unchanged since 2012) or 185 (unchanged from the December 2015 cutbacks). I couldn't spot any increases on the 36, 161 or 160.  A few extra short trips on the 75.  I haven't checked the 78 yet.

On the 78 they've added a few buses going into service at walmart and grant and Cambridge 

2 hours ago, Viafreak said:

Why do they not run the 78 on Sunday. It would help Seasons of Tuxedo and IKEA attract more shoppers.

The 84/86 now extends to IKEA, with service everyday:

Monday - Saturday, combined every 24 minutes, and service past midnight

Sunday, combined every 40 minutes, and service til 7pm

A problem I notice with the 84/86 when the buses leave Stafford loop (Mon-Fri), instead of alternating between the 84 and 86. They run 3 84s and than 3 86s, and than back to 3 84s, etc.

There is sometimes a gap of 1h45m between runs.

The difference between the routes:

84 - Runs along Lindenwoods East, runs Counter-Clockwise in Whyte Ridge

84 - Runs along Lindenwoods West, runs Clockwise in Whyte

19 minutes ago, trebor204 said:

The 84/86 now extends to IKEA, with service everyday:

Monday - Saturday, combined every 24 minutes, and service past midnight

Sunday, combined every 40 minutes, and service til 7pm

A problem I notice with the 84/86 when the buses leave Stafford loop (Mon-Fri), instead of alternating between the 84 and 86. They run 3 84s and than 3 86s, and than back to 3 84s, etc.

There is sometimes a gap of 1h45m between runs.

The difference between the routes:

84 - Runs along Lindenwoods East, runs Counter-Clockwise in Whyte Ridge

84 - Runs along Lindenwoods West, runs Clockwise in Whyte

I've notice that gap to on the 84/86

On 9/13/2016 at 4:57 PM, DavidW said:

As a UM student, I've noticed the following in terms of morning arrivals and afternoon departures:

- 60 and 185 loads are relatively full seated and nothing more arriving at UM. Especially on the transitway, I see students tend to skip the 185 if they know there's a 161 coming in the next 1-3 minutes. Similar loads for the afternoon as well. 

- 161 is usually closed doors south of Osborne unless a 185 comes in front of the 161 and eats up everyone at Osborne. Afternoon loads tend to be more spread out for all the transitway routes; haven't been on a closed doors 161 in the afternoon yet. However I have noticed many UM students (I guess first years?) who don't know the difference between the 160 and 161, and will take the 160 if it shows up ahead of the 161.

- 36-1 has been an artic run all this week, and is the run that arrives at UM around 8:25am...and is generally the busiest of the 36s. The other 36s that come in quick succession after tend to be standing load, but not rammed to the doors.

- 75 is definitely busier than the 78. I don't think I've even seen a fully loaded 78 yet.

- Haven't really paid attention to the 76 aside from one trip, which had a D30LF that had to leave about 8 students behind.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, vivablue5215 said:

As a UM student, I've noticed the following in terms of morning arrivals and afternoon departures:

- 60 and 185 loads are relatively full seated and nothing more arriving at UM. Especially on the transitway, I see students tend to skip the 185 if they know there's a 161 coming in the next 1-3 minutes. Similar loads for the afternoon as well. 

- 161 is usually closed doors south of Osborne unless a 185 comes in front of the 161 and eats up everyone at Osborne. Afternoon loads tend to be more spread out for all the transitway routes; haven't been on a closed doors 161 in the afternoon yet. However I have noticed many UM students (I guess first years?) who don't know the difference between the 160 and 161, and will take the 160 if it shows up ahead of the 161.

- 36-1 has been an artic run all this week, and is the run that arrives at UM around 8:25am...and is generally the busiest of the 36s. The other 36s that come in quick succession after tend to be standing load, but not rammed to the doors.

- 75 is definitely busier than the 78. I don't think I've even seen a fully loaded 78 yet.

- Haven't really paid attention to the 76 aside from one trip, which had a D30LF that had to leave about 8 students behind.

There's a lot more artic on the 36 I think 1 run during the day and I'd say 75/78 are about the same for busyness and 76-1 is the only 40ft run while most of the rush hour ones are D30LF 

1 hour ago, BusRider said:

Seeing that run number makes me wonder if there's a way we could collect all the runs into a spot on the wiki. I assume the 162-39 is one of those peak hour runs?

What do we know about run numbers? I was once told they indicate on which route the piece of work begins (route 162 for run 162-39) but not much beyond that. I think they are determined by the software Transit uses to cut the service into runs. If they are, wouldn't they change every service change?

15 hours ago, DavidW said:

What do we know about run numbers? I was once told they indicate on which route the piece of work begins (route 162 for run 162-39) but not much beyond that. I think they are determined by the software Transit uses to cut the service into runs. If they are, wouldn't they change every service change?

I believe that's how they work. With that though, you could told where a bus is going to end up at the end of the day. Whether it be the same route at the end of the day, or a different route at the end of a rush. It would probably be very difficult to track.

• Like 1

Went for a walk this afternoon from Pembina down Windermere, then north on Beaumont to Parker, and down Parker back to Pembina.

Observed two interesting things about bus stop signs. [1]. The 84 and 86 are still on the signs at Windermere loop (and at the stops on Pembina). All they have to do is stick blanks over the numbers. I wonder what the delay is?

[2]. The stops for the discontinued counterclockwise segments of the 94 have been left in place, just flipped around. I wonder if there's public pressure to fix the clockwise-only feature of the new 94...