Misc. OC Transpo & STO Questions & Discussion

SMS

There is apparently a web site that somebody setup that scans many City of Ottawa radio frequencies, including OC Transpo.

https://ottawa.renfrewcountyscanner.com/

The above mentioned link was being circulated on Twitter. 

As I write this, I've spent almost 30 minutes listening to the web site, it appears to pick-up certain radio transmission, but not everything. 

6 hours ago, JCL said:

There is apparently a web site that somebody setup that scans many City of Ottawa radio frequencies, including OC Transpo.

https://ottawa.renfrewcountyscanner.com/

The above mentioned link was being circulated on Twitter. 

As I write this, I've spent almost 30 minutes listening to the web site, it appears to pick-up certain radio transmission, but not everything. 

Judging by the IOS App/Website one can isolate a select group of channels.  
So you don’t have to listen to every city department If you don’t want to.  
IMG_7498.thumb.jpeg.4d61c569aad2e2125ec60e35de225109.jpeg

OC Transpo proposing to increase fares (cash and monthly passes) by 2.5 percent in 2024. 

https://ottawa.ctvnews.ca/here-s-how-oc-transpo-fares-compare-to-other-transit-systems-in-canada-1.6640323

Cash fare going up to $3.85 from $3.75 and an adult monthly pass going up to $128.75 from $125.50. Community and Equipass are unaffected by fare increases. Community pass is geared for those on ODSP and Equipass is geared to income.

Final comments:

There are some transit agencies that charge $4.50 which is Gainteau STO in 2024 if approved, right now it is $4.25 cash fare. 

Brampton Transit and York Region Transit are the two transit agencies I know off-hand that charge $4.50 cash fare.

TTC charges $156 for a monthly pass which of course, there is a lot more available service. York Region Transit not far behind at $154 for an adult monthly pass. 

Especially when OC Transpo is preparing for a route revamp in 2024 to better modernize the route network based on travel patterns.

1 hour ago, MCIBUS said:

WOW didn't know the GTA was more expensive then OC, always thought OC was more?

Years ago, I know Ottawa's OC Transpo was one of the most expensive major transit agencies to take transit for cash fares.

Though Brampton Transit gotten brave and increased the cash fare from $4 to $4.50 effective May 1, 2023 due to increased costs related to higher ridership. Something that you won't see in Ottawa because of the limit city council imposed regarding increasing fares to 2.5 percent maximum over the last few years.

Was just scanning You Tube and found some interesting bus vids:

It would of been amazing if OC had bought some of theses when they had the Transitway before the LRT? The double artics or the ones larger then 60 feet. I'm guessing they would be put on Route 95 at the time.

14 hours ago, Oc4526 said:

Judging by the IOS App/Website one can isolate a select group of channels.  
So you don’t have to listen to every city department If you don’t want to.  
IMG_7498.thumb.jpeg.4d61c569aad2e2125ec60e35de225109.jpeg

13 hours ago, MCIBUS said:

I've left all the OC ones ON have not heard anything? Not sure if it's working for the OC ones even have the encrp on stil nothing? Correction just heard OC, but only one side of the call?

Upon playing around with the web site further, there is an ability to listen to the radio call after the fact (audio archive). Here are the steps:

1) Go to https://ottawa.renfrewcountyscanner.com/

2) Click the button "Search Call"

3) From there, go to the bottom and locate the dropdown menu that says "Group" and select OC Transpo from the menu

Each radio transimission generates a new file from that web site (wtih date and timestamp). You also have the ability to download the audio file as an MP3.

From what I've been able to see, this web site is not perfect, but better than nothing. From what I've been able to see, the web site is able to captures the following converstations:

• "Talkgroup Supervisor 3", which I've identified as equvalent to Talkgroup 1 (where Transit Control issues announcements via Code 50)
  • "Operators Ch. 2", which I've identified as equivalent to Talkgroup 2 (Booking and Dispatch Channel). Note that bus operators have used this frequency to do bus-to-bus communication (which they aren't suppose to)
  • "Supervisor 1", which I've identified as Supervisors Channel for communications between the Supervisors working at Transit Control and on the street (either in the car or at the station)
  • "OC TranspoAdmin9", which I've identified as Talkgroup 9 (Used by Dispatch for the "9:30 Booking" for Spare Operators)
  • "ServiceMechanics", which I've identified as a radio frequency where a mechanic located at Transit Control communcating with the Service Truck on the street
  • There are also various Para Transpo frequencies being monitored

In terms of bus-to-supervisor conversation, I have discovered that you must select the option "UNKNOWN" in order to hear those conversaton. I have discovered this while going through the archive on the web site. 

1 hour ago, MCIBUS said:

Is it just me or does that Radio frequency site look some what different? I could of sworn there where more OC choices then it showing?

I've noticed this, as I believe the person who runs the web site was doing some tweeks over the weekend.

Some of the OC Transpo frequencies are encrypted (like Confederation Line, Transit Law), so I guess he removed those.

As well, if you look at the list of frequencies monitored (by pressing the SELECT TG button), there is a category that says "City of Ottawa - Dynamic Talkgroups". All those talkgroup frequencies with 5 digit numbers are actually OC Transpo Supervisor radios (either from the Transit Control Centre or the handheld radio). I say this because the communication between the bus and Supervisor is done through "on a separate line" (iCall). 

Once again, this web site is not perfect, but it's better than nothing. Please manage expectations. 

• Thanks 1

On 9/17/2023 at 9:46 AM, JCL said:

Just so there is no misunderstanding, OC Transpo's double decker buses that were purchased in 2012-13 (buses 8001 to 8075) had no issues with the rail bridge at Carleton. They have been on Route 10 (as well as the old Route 4 before the route renumbering), 111, Line 2 Bus, and the old Route 104. 

The only group of double decker buses that had issues at Carleton were the pilot buses from 2009 (buses 1201 to 1203), but those were retired in late-June 2012. 

This post (and not the fact that I was moving pics... lol) reminded me that I had a few photos of the pilot-project double-decker buses (1201-1203) lying around... the first photo is bus 1201 on a then-96 Blair (now the 61) at Rideau Centre on the Mackenzie King bridge. The other pic is of a pilot-project double decker (bus 1202 by the looks of it) at Bayshore Mall (note the old parking garage at Bayshore Mall in the pic) on what I would assume is the then-97 South Keys (now the 57).

doubledeckerbus5.jpeg

doubledeckerbus3.jpeg

• Like 1

On 11/18/2023 at 6:28 PM, MCIBUS said:

Was OC represented @ the Help Santa(I call it the FAT MAN PARADE)Toy Parade or any others this weekend? If so which bus(es) did they use?

6 hours ago, Flalex72 said:

Yes, I didn't catch a fleet number but it was the classic Santa Bus invero setup.

The D40i used in the santa parade was 4359 (it is a refurb)

On 11/18/2023 at 6:28 PM, MCIBUS said:

Was OC represented @ the Help Santa(I call it the FAT MAN PARADE)Toy Parade or any others this weekend? If so which bus(es) did they use?

Does this answer your question? We were also out at the Barrhaven Santa Claus Parade this evening!

We will be at the Orleans Parade of Lights next week!

IMG_7738.jpeg

IMG_7741.jpeg

IMG_7742.jpeg

IMG_7744.jpeg

IMG_7748.jpeg

IMG_7764.jpeg

IMG_7774.jpeg

IMG_7778.jpeg

IMG_7783.jpeg

• Like 4

What A Joke

After spending 24 million dollaers on the Prince of Wales Bridge(I still call that) it is now close for winter. I can't understand after spending 24 million on it they never thought how winter would effect it? COME ON!! How stupid can you be not refurbising it to be 12 months a year.

CTV LINK:

https://ottawa.ctvnews.ca/ottawa-s-new-23-9-million-pedestrian-cycling-bridge-closed-for-the-winter-1.6654756

As for it being converted back to a rail bridge as aO-Train conection to Gatineau GOOD LUCK. The crossing has become so popular as bike/walking/jogging confection to Gatineau, it'll be aa merical if does convert back to a rail bridge