Misc. OC Transpo & STO Questions & Discussion

SMS

6 hours ago, ZümmyZüm said:

Seemed like a waste of money to replace every fare card for the window in the fleet from “No Charge” to “Free”.

This brings about the question about whether the fare cards are even needed anymore.  They were first installed back in 1987 when the peak/off-peak fare system was introduced and had four exposures:

• 75¢ Off-Peak (all routes)
  • 75¢ Peak (local routes)
  • $1.50 Peak (regular routes)
  • $1.90 Peak (express routes)

An interesting aspect of this system was that when the peak period ended, all routes charged the off-peak fare, including express routes.

Later, after the peak-fare system was abolished, the cards were used to distinguish between free, regular fare, express fare, and rural express fare routes.  Now that all routes are regular fare, are the signs really necessary anymore?  Free service can simply be indicated by covering the farebox and Presto readers.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ZümmyZüm said:

Seemed like a waste of money to replace every fare card for the window in the fleet from “No Charge” to “Free”.

I don't think the fare cards were replaced. I was referring to the e-material. I don't imagine the fare cards will be changed until the next fare change.

3 hours ago, Waiting for 30 Minutes said:

I don't think the fare cards were replaced. I was referring to the e-material. I don't imagine the fare cards will be changed until the next fare change.

Unfortunately they were changed, your logic is the same as mine and many of us.. why change just for the wording but sure enough it’s out with the old, in with the new 

8B7243E6-4B25-45A8-A1C3-05B2D09FBD95.jpeg

• Thanks 1

I wonder how much it cost to make those Fare cards?

Primisy Station?

I can't understand why who ever designed that station, didn't think of how many people would use that station? Blues fest if I recall was there before the station was built? They didn't think of the crowds? Canada Day celebrations was planed to move to Lebreton for the next 10 years due to the construction on the hill is supposely last the long. They didn't think of the crowds? The redevelopment of Lebreton Flats? They didn't think of the crowds? With the possibility of the Sens moving right next to it or  very close by what of the crowds.

I'm not sure if anything can be done with the stion? Modify it or something to that nature I don't know or even building another station at the New Sens arena that I don't know. It's suppose to be open tommorrow night for the Shania Twain concert which there expecting the largest crowd at the Blue fest, I guess we will just have to wait and see how it turns out?

1 hour ago, MCIBUS said:

Primisy Station?

I can't understand why who ever designed that station, didn't think of how many people would use that station? Blues fest if I recall was there before the station was built? They didn't think of the crowds? Canada Day celebrations was planed to move to Lebreton for the next 10 years due to the construction on the hill is supposely last the long. They didn't think of the crowds? The redevelopment of Lebreton Flats? They didn't think of the crowds? With the possibility of the Sens moving right next to it or  very close by what of the crowds.

I'm not sure if anything can be done with the stion? Modify it or something to that nature I don't know or even building another station at the New Sens arena that I don't know. It's suppose to be open tommorrow night for the Shania Twain concert which there expecting the largest crowd at the Blue fest, I guess we will just have to wait and see how it turns out?

The development of the current LRT Line 1 (Confederation Line) began in 2007/2008 following the cancellation of the Bob Chiarelli North-South LRT in December 2006. The people making the decisions on design at Pimisi Station would probably not have taken into account that the site of Lebreton Flats would be used for Canada Day celebrations beginning in 2022 (the same cannot be said about Bluesfest, though).

The final approval of Confederation Line and the contract award to Rideau Transit Group was in 2012 by Ottawa City Council, with construction commencing in 2013 (along with major Transitway closures in 2015 and 2016)

The decision to move Canada Day celebrations would probably have been made after design of Pimisi Station was approved. 

Also, the media reported previously that Canada Day celebrations was suppose to have been moved to Major's Hill Park after 2019. Then the pandemic happened, and somehow Canadian Heritage changed their minds and decided to use the Lebreton Flats site instead (https://ottawa.ctvnews.ca/canada-day-celebrations-moving-from-parliament-hill-1.5905053)

As for the potential hockey arena move to Lebreton Flats. The parcel of land that the NCC has set aside for the arena is on Albert Street between Preston and City Centre (which would be between Pimisi Station and Bayview Station). If the Ottawa Senators were to move to Lebreton Flats, the crowds will have a choice between Bayview Station or Pimisi Station. But this is all speculations at this point because the new owners of the Ottawa Senators haven't made up their minds yet. In fact, Mayor Mark Sutcliffe recently floated the idea of a hockey arena being built in Downtown Ottawa proper rather than Lebreton Flats. 

5 hours ago, MCIBUS said:

I wonder how much it cost to make those Fare cards?

Primisy Station?

Designing a station for a maximum passenger volume is an unnecessary overbuild and expense.

Pimisi is similar in size to many rapid transit stations in North America that handle similar surges in passenger traffic following major events (including several near sports venues). OC Transpo had an egress plan set up, including staff to aid with crowd control within the station, but the request to close the station came from OPS following concerns about crowding on Booth Street at the LRT station rather than within the station itself.

The station successfully handled last year's Bluesfest crowd and will do so again starting tomorrow.

• 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, CanadianBrick1 said:

From what I hear they are mechanically, in place of words I can't use here, crap. But someone else will definitely have a better explanation than me 

There has been reliability issues with the double deckers in early-2021. I know this because regular 40-foot buses from St. Laurent Garage, at that time, being "shipped" over to Industrial Garage (where the double deckers are based out of) to meet service.

Also during the October 13, 2021 City Council Meeting, from the acting General Manager of OC Transpo, in a reply to Councillor Shawn Menard at the time that there were challenges in obtaining parts "due to consolidation between Alexander Dennis and New Flyer" (source: https://youtu.be/8sx5q7EqWv8?t=3957, timestamp if not queued at 1:05:57).

And finally as part of the 2023 Budget called for the removal of 117 "unreliable buses" with no removal of service. The 73 double decker buses are among those (knowing now after the fact). 

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, CanadianBrick1 said:

From what I hear they are mechanically, in place of words I can't use here, crap. But someone else will definitely have a better explanation than me 

Dookie. Around 2021 they decided to test out a light refurb of the 8000, this is why you saw units 8014/8054 with a black bumper. However after those two they deemed it too costly to do a refurbishment of any kind for only max 2-3 years extra life   

With the buses parked outdoors their entire life corrosion played a huge factor and as said above, parts were becoming harder to come by so it was a logical decision at the time to pull them. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 7/5/2023 at 9:58 PM, JCL said:

The development of the current LRT Line 1 (Confederation Line) began in 2007/2008 following the cancellation of the Bob Chiarelli North-South LRT in December 2006. The people making the decisions on design at Pimisi Station would probably not have taken into account that the site of Lebreton Flats would be used for Canada Day celebrations beginning in 2022 (the same cannot be said about Bluesfest, though).

The final approval of Confederation Line and the contract award to Rideau Transit Group was in 2012 by Ottawa City Council, with construction commencing in 2013 (along with major Transitway closures in 2015 and 2016)

The decision to move Canada Day celebrations would probably have been made after design of Pimisi Station was approved. 

Also, the media reported previously that Canada Day celebrations was suppose to have been moved to Major's Hill Park after 2019. Then the pandemic happened, and somehow Canadian Heritage changed their minds and decided to use the Lebreton Flats site instead (https://ottawa.ctvnews.ca/canada-day-celebrations-moving-from-parliament-hill-1.5905053)

As for the potential hockey arena move to Lebreton Flats. The parcel of land that the NCC has set aside for the arena is on Albert Street between Preston and City Centre (which would be between Pimisi Station and Bayview Station). If the Ottawa Senators were to move to Lebreton Flats, the crowds will have a choice between Bayview Station or Pimisi Station. But this is all speculations at this point because the new owners of the Ottawa Senators haven't made up their minds yet. In fact, Mayor Mark Sutcliffe recently floated the idea of a hockey arena being built in Downtown Ottawa proper rather than Lebreton Flats. 

I haven’t lived in Ottawa in 11 years so I’m not sure of the status of downtown. JCL, do you know where they could build a downtown arena, if that were to be a thing?

I feel it’s too little too late as the arena situation could have coincided with the build of the LRT. But, as I said I haven’t lived in Ottawa since 2012. 

1 hour ago, JRM1000 said:

I haven’t lived in Ottawa in 11 years so I’m not sure of the status of downtown. JCL, do you know where they could build a downtown arena, if that were to be a thing?

I feel it’s too little too late as the arena situation could have coincided with the build of the LRT. But, as I said I haven’t lived in Ottawa since 2012. 

The NCC has set aside land on Albert Street on the northside, between Preston and City Centre as part of the Lebreton Flats redevelopment for a potential new arena.

However, the new Mayor (Mark Sutcliffe), is currently floating the idea of another location in the Downtown core (that has yet to be identified). The reason is that there is new owner for the Ottawa Senators. 

If I can add, I honestly hope the new Arena isn't built on NCC property. The city will have no control over what the NCC does and with the direction the NCC has been going the last couple years since the pandemic, I would hope no one in their right mind would build on land even remotely close to federally owned/controlled land. We already saw how that played out on Canada Day with Heritage Canada pretending to supersed the city of Ottawa on Transit planning and crowd control, just to have their narrative fall apart when they reopened Pimisi midday to let tens of thousands of people evacuate and seek shelter when the storms came into Ottawa that day. The NCC already kicks off buses on the Ottawa River Parkway (no, I'm not calling it the SJAM or KZM) during weekends so don't think it's far-fetch they would kick out any vehicle of any type anywhere near the arena if it just so happens to coincide with a "bike day" on the parkway.

Hey old timers, I'm hoping you can help me answer this question. I noticed looking in Street View in 2007 some bus stops would have a salmon coloured (pinkish) timetable in some infoboxes. I did find proof that OC did in fact temporarily use salmon colored paper for bus schedules at bus stops with an info box. I remember once looking at @M.Wright flicker page years back and remember a photo he took of a D40 leaving Bronson Avenue (at CU?) running as the 41 (Riverside/Downtown). In that photo, was a salmon colored bus schedule in an info box in the background despite the year the photo was taken was in 2006 or 2007.

My question is why did OC temporarily switch to Salmon coloured timetables? The change coincided with the 2004 cuts, so it makes no sense to me why they would do something that seems to cost more money. If anyone can remember a rationale, I would appreciate it!

Screenshot_20230721_210628_Samsung Internet.png

4 hours ago, Loud-Invero said:

Hey old timers, I'm hoping you can help me answer this question. I noticed looking in Street View in 2007 some bus stops would have a salmon coloured (pinkish) timetable in some infoboxes. I did find proof that OC did in fact temporarily use salmon colored paper for bus schedules at bus stops with an info box. I remember once looking at @M.Wright flicker page years back and remember a photo he took of a D40 leaving Bronson Avenue (at CU?) running as the 41 (Riverside/Downtown). In that photo, was a salmon colored bus schedule in an info box in the background despite the year the photo was taken was in 2006 or 2007.

My question is why did OC temporarily switch to Salmon coloured timetables? The change coincided with the 2004 cuts, so it makes no sense to me why they would do something that seems to cost more money. If anyone can remember a rationale, I would appreciate it!

Screenshot_20230721_210628_Samsung Internet.png

It's likely part of the communications plan so passengers know about the changes (something different to prompt attention), similar to the September 2011 cuts that included the green plastic placards hanging from the stop flags.

Might be wrong, but I think it's an educated guess.

Question?

On the DD Buses, when you enter the bus and turn left about half way down )on wall below steps)dright across the right front wheel on the driver side right above the yellow grab bar just in the middle(below the glass) there appears to be this small white square that has these small black dots or holes in a circle. Does antone know what that is?

On 7/23/2023 at 6:19 PM, MCIBUS said:

Question?

On the DD Buses, when you enter the bus and turn left about half way down )on wall below steps)dright across the right front wheel on the driver side right above the yellow grab bar just in the middle(below the glass) there appears to be this small white square that has these small black dots or holes in a circle. Does antone know what that is?

Its part of the NSAS, it measures ambient noise in all buses to set the volume of the NSAS system.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know where else to put this so it's going here. I took some photos at Blair the other day, and upon looking through them I noticed I got 4469, which I didn't have marked in my spreadsheet as one I needed, and after checking the wiki I've found it it should be retired, but it's seemingly returned to service? I don't know if it's a long time thing or anything but I found it interesting 

20230802_164954.jpg

• Like 1

On 8/8/2023 at 2:39 PM, CanadianBrick1 said:

I don't know where else to put this so it's going here. I took some photos at Blair the other day, and upon looking through them I noticed I got 4469, which I didn't have marked in my spreadsheet as one I needed, and after checking the wiki I've found it it should be retired, but it's seemingly returned to service? I don't know if it's a long time thing or anything but I found it interesting 

20230802_164954.jpg

It’s been in service quite a while so perhaps mislabeled? I know it was one of the last units to have the old presto reader and it was swapped out within the last 2 weeks 

• Like 1