Misc. OC Transpo & STO Questions & Discussion

SMS

On Friday DEC 8 OC will have 4 shuttle buses for our annual City Employee Luncheon. 

I'm not sure what they'll be serving, Any how these "shuttle Buses" will be departing 100 Constallation Drive(A City Building) @ 11:30AM, 11:45 AM, 12:00 PM & 12:30 PM. Return from City Hall 12:45 PM, 1:15 PM, 1:45 PM &2:15 PM,

I'm just curious as to which buses they'll be using? Artics? DD Buses? or Nova/Invero buses? Won't be taking the shuttle as  I work just down the street(about 10 mins away). I'll try and get the model & fleet #'s if I can, if I;m not to busy talk to co-works LOL

OC (4633?) Was involved in a collision at Alta Vista/Industrial this morning. Photo courtesy of Robert Barber of 613 Wrecked on Facebook.

FB_IMG_1701439687038.jpg

1 hour ago, MCIBUS said:

On Friday DEC 8 OC will have 4 shuttle buses for our annual City Employee Luncheon. 

I'm not sure what they'll be serving, Any how these "shuttle Buses" will be departing 100 Constallation Drive(A City Building) @ 11:30AM, 11:45 AM, 12:00 PM & 12:30 PM. Return from City Hall 12:45 PM, 1:15 PM, 1:45 PM &2:15 PM,

I'm just curious as to which buses they'll be using? Artics? DD Buses? or Nova/Invero buses? Won't be taking the shuttle as  I work just down the street(about 10 mins away). I'll try and get the model & fleet #'s if I can, if I;m not to busy talk to co-works LOL

Probably Novas unless the city has a greenwashing announcement to make during the luncheon, in which it would be electrics.

7 hours ago, MCIBUS said:

6 hours ago, Loud-Invero said:

Probably Novas unless the city has a greenwashing announcement to make during the luncheon, in which it would be electrics.

It's been the artics the last few times. Not enough capacity if 40-foot buses are used.

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Currently riding on 6618, the rear presto scanner is acting up with a red screen and red led light on top of the scanner, the display says “Declined, Refuse” and it is making a low pitch beep along with the small green led light above the display, and when people scan their cards to the scanner, it works and displays like normal and then it goes back to the error, has anyone else has been on a bus with that issue?

here is proof of the presto scanner acting up.

IMG_7652.thumb.jpeg.35c2cf3dd5f3f9a5e42c5705e6e401d8.jpeg
I scanned my presto pass on the front scanner, works with no issues. The middle one works as well with no issues.

5 hours ago, kitortransit said:

Currently riding on 6618, the rear presto scanner is acting up with a red screen and red led light on top of the scanner, the display says “Declined, Refuse” and it is making a low pitch beep along with the small green led light above the display, and when people scan their cards to the scanner, it works and displays like normal and then it goes back to the error, has anyone else has been on a bus with that issue?

here is proof of the presto scanner acting up.

IMG_7652.thumb.jpeg.35c2cf3dd5f3f9a5e42c5705e6e401d8.jpeg
I scanned my presto pass on the front scanner, works with no issues. The middle one works as well with no issues.

Just a connection issue, usually after the bus powers down or does a battery reset it fixes itself 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, ZümmyZüm said:

Just a connection issue, usually after the bus powers down or does a battery reset it fixes itself 

This brings up a good question: why are the new readers much worse than the old ones? Everytime I tap on the new readers on the bus or fare gates I have a 50/50 chance of it working first time or spamming "tap again" multiple times. I already miss the old presto readers 😪

• Like 2

10 hours ago, TransitGeek said:

This brings up a good question: why are the new readers much worse than the old ones? Everytime I tap on the new readers on the bus or fare gates I have a 50/50 chance of it working first time or spamming "tap again" multiple times. I already miss the old presto readers 😪

Because the new readers are designed to read credit/phone wallets. You need to treat it the same as a debit machine in a grocery store, put your card on it and wait till the screen lights green with the checkmark.

Old presto devices were programmed to read one type of card only. 

It's a learning curve for everyone but I tell all passengers, "hold till it goes green" and after that no issues 

• Thanks 1

On 11/10/2023 at 10:35 AM, JCL said:

There is apparently a web site that somebody setup that scans many City of Ottawa radio frequencies, including OC Transpo.

https://ottawa.renfrewcountyscanner.com/

The above mentioned link was being circulated on Twitter. 

As I write this, I've spent almost 30 minutes listening to the web site, it appears to pick-up certain radio transmission, but not everything. 

It appears either the owner of the site is working on it(tried for the past 3 days to enter the site) or he or she has taken it down? To bad it was a great site.

16 hours ago, MCIBUS said:

It appears either the owner of the site is working on it(tried for the past 3 days to enter the site) or he or she has taken it down? To bad it was a great site.

On my end, the site appears to have been down since Wednesday (IIRC). Hopefully the site returns. 

16 hours ago, MCIBUS said:

Metrolinx?

I'm just curious as to why Metro linx doesn't really have a hand in OC Transpo either then with Presto. I'm not exactly sure what Metro linx is in charge of in the GTA either then Presto, but why not OC?

Metrolinx is simply a crown provincial corporation that focuses on integration and coordination within the Greater Toronto and Hamilton area being their major area of focus. 

The only reason why Ottawa was forced to adapt the Presto smart card system was because of the contract terms of the $600 million dollar funding for Stage 1 funding along with gas tax funding received to help support the day to day operations at OC Transpo.

Presto contract expires in 2027 for Ottawa. 

5 hours ago, GTAmissions1 said:

Presto contract expires in 2027 for Ottawa. 

Hmm, I wonder if OC will stick with Presto or possibly switch over to a Multi-based system.  The STO have shared the technology with Saguenay, Sherbrooke, Transcollines and Trois-Rivieres, and the UPass is also based on the Multi system.  OC's Presto readers also accept Multi transfers and monthly passes as well.  Or maybe OC will switch over to credit/phone payments entirely. 🤔

Honestly I hope they ditch Presto. Let's remember that for the longest of time they had no innovation whatsoever and no adaptation to modern tech until I was already too late. To this day there is still no Apple pay or Google/Samsung Wallet support to add your Presto card. It's **2023**, like come on!

3 hours ago, tomsbuspage said:

Hmm, I wonder if OC will stick with Presto or possibly switch over to a Multi-based system.  The STO have shared the technology with Saguenay, Sherbrooke, Transcollines and Trois-Rivieres, and the UPass is also based on the Multi system.  OC's Presto readers also accept Multi transfers and monthly passes as well.  Or maybe OC will switch over to credit/phone payments entirely. 🤔

The hardware on-board buses and stations shouldn't be an issue since they can be reprogrammed to another system if needed plus owned by OC Transpo. Noting that they have replaced the PNG (Presto Next Generation) devices with new hardware that can process transfers and multi-day passes by scanning the QR code on-board buses along with handling credit card payments both physical and digital. 

I think Metrolinx will try to convince OC Transpo to stick with the Presto smart card system saying "maintain consistency with GTHA systems." At the same time, I don't think OC Transpo wants to pay a higher percentage just to maintain consistency or change a formula. Despite how Ottawa has different needs such as handling STO transfers.

25 minutes ago, Loud-Invero said:

Honestly I hope they ditch Presto. Let's remember that for the longest of time they had no innovation whatsoever and no adaptation to modern tech until I was already too late. To this day there is still no Apple pay or Google/Samsung Wallet support to add your Presto card. It's **2023**, like come on!

This is what over $1.2 billion dollars purchases considering that the claim is "we wanted to have a made in Ontario solution." Trying to sell a product to other agencies outside of Ontario recouping the cost via interchange fees. 

When other products on the market could have done it for a lot less without needing to reinvent the wheel along with providing options that already exist that don't need to be built from scratch. 

I don't know what OC will do? Stay/ or Go? that I don't know, but Metrolinx/PC(assuming there still in power) Can easily say "Leave Presto, no money from us to fund OC"

Besides I doubt OC il want to spend more money(money they really don't have) on a new system. 

True Presto isn't the greatest system out there, but suspect(just guessing here) that it'f way better then other systems out there. True they may not have all the bells and whistlers that Loud-Invero mentioned, but 2027 is still a few years away and Presto might have them by then.

Question?

On the new E Buses where the wheel chair postions are there's a barrier between that spot and the 2 sets(either side) forward facing seats. 

Assuming OC orders the NFI model over Nova(WHEN OC) are you going to make up your mind on which one your going to pick.

Anyways do you think OC will order them without that barrier?

On 12/24/2023 at 4:38 PM, MCIBUS said:

UPDATE, the owner of the site has taken it down because of low interest in people listening to the feed (he stated maximum of 3 listeners).