Jump to content

Misc. OC Transpo & STO Questions & Discussion


SMS

Recommended Posts

53 minutes ago, Loud-Invero said:

So it looks like all the cancelled Connexion routes are cancelled for good. The bus flags along Richmond Road in between  Baseline and Holly Acres have been replaced with "School Routes Only" bus flags

Interesting since you would think that they would post under service changes "x routes will no longer be coming back after being suspended due to COVID-19 reductions" or somewhere along the lines. Unless they are saving it for the next service change in Winter.

Here is a list of the Connexion routes suspended due to COVID-19 via the wiki:

  • 224 Beacon Hill (alternate route 24 Beacon Hill)
  • 233 Portobello (alternate route 33 Portobello)
  • 235 Gardenway (alternate route 35 Esprit)
  • 251 Bells Corners (alternate route 57 Bells Corners)
  • 266 Maxwell Bridge (alternate routes 63 Briarbrook and 64 Morgans Grant)
  • 275 Cambrian (alternate route 75 Cambrian)

The impacted Connexion routes have alternative service for impacted passengers. The routes mentioned were temporarily suspended since June 20, 2021. 

Two years seems more like a permanent route cancellation than a temporary suspension. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Loud-Invero said:

This totally came to my mind, but does anyone know when the lease for OC Transpo/City buses to use the Ottawa River Parkway come to an end? I could sworn the lease end date is around the corner (like 2027 IIRC) or was it a 99 year lease that was signed in the 80s?

I think the lease was/is until 2031 (which would make it 50 years).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, Loud-Invero said:

This totally came to my mind, but does anyone know when the lease for OC Transpo/City buses to use the Ottawa River Parkway come to an end? I could sworn the lease end date is around the corner (like 2027 IIRC) or was it a 99 year lease that was signed in the 80s?

3 hours ago, Joe Engineer In Training said:

I think the lease was/is until 2031 (which would make it 50 years).

So, that would date the lease from 1981, but OTC/OC Transpo buses have been using the parkway since 1970.  Just out of historic curiosity, does anyone know what the previous arrangement was, either an earlier lease or some other sort of agreement with the NCC?

OTC 1970-01 Express.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/28/2023 at 6:47 PM, Loud-Invero said:

So it looks like all the cancelled Connexion routes are cancelled for good. The bus flags along Richmond Road in between  Baseline and Holly Acres have been replaced with "School Routes Only" bus flags

On 9/28/2023 at 8:03 PM, GTAmissions1 said:

Here is a list of the Connexion routes suspended due to COVID-19 via the wiki:

  • 224 Beacon Hill (alternate route 24 Beacon Hill)
  • 233 Portobello (alternate route 33 Portobello)
  • 235 Gardenway (alternate route 35 Esprit)
  • 251 Bells Corners (alternate route 57 Bells Corners)
  • 266 Maxwell Bridge (alternate routes 63 Briarbrook and 64 Morgans Grant)
  • 275 Cambrian (alternate route 75 Cambrian)

The impacted Connexion routes have alternative service for impacted passengers. The routes mentioned were temporarily suspended since June 20, 2021.

I guess this would include suspended route 17 as well.  There were still one EB and two WB stops marked "Stop Not in Use" along Hemlock Road in Manor Park when I drove by this afternoon.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/30/2023 at 6:11 PM, tomsbuspage said:

I guess this would include suspended route 17 as well.  There were still one EB and two WB stops marked "Stop Not in Use" along Hemlock Road in Manor Park when I drove by this afternoon.

I wouldn't dismiss route 17 just yet. Wateridge is a growing community, and Councillor King has been really involved in that community's transit service. I hope to see a route between St-Laurent and Rideau to anchor the community with two trip generators.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, Waiting for 30 Minutes said:

I wouldn't dismiss route 17 just yet. Wateridge is a growing community, and Councillor King has been really involved in that community's transit service. I hope to see a route between St-Laurent and Rideau to anchor the community with two trip generators.

I’ve always felt the simplest option would be to renumber the 7x Brittany trips to 17 and extend them to Wateridge. It would provide the service with a pretty minimal service increase.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, Waiting for 30 Minutes said:

I wouldn't dismiss route 17 just yet. Wateridge is a growing community, and Councillor King has been really involved in that community's transit service. I hope to see a route between St-Laurent and Rideau to anchor the community with two trip generators.

2 hours ago, agb96 said:

I’ve always felt the simplest option would be to renumber the 7x Brittany trips to 17 and extend them to Wateridge. It would provide the service with a pretty minimal service increase.

Actually, I've heard from Councillor King that the eventual plan for route 17 was to route it along Hemlock Road all the way into Wateridge once the road reopens east of the Aviation Parkway.  Of course, that will mean upgrades to Hemlock between St. Laurent Blvd. and the parkway, something many Manor Park residents oppose due to concerns about increased traffic.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, tomsbuspage said:

something many Manor Park residents oppose due to concerns about increased traffic.

They should suck it up. They did just fine with noisy fishbowls and classics on the 29/129 using Hemlock. They can also prohibit personal cars too if they worry to much about excessive traffic.

NIMBYism is such a toxic trait to have.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Loud-Invero said:

They [Manor Park residents] should suck it up. They did just fine with noisy fishbowls and classics on the 29/129 using Hemlock. They can also prohibit personal cars too if they worry to much about excessive traffic.

NIMBYism is such a toxic trait to have.

Having grown up in Manor Park and still having many contacts there, it's not buses the residents are complaining about but cars using Hemlock as a major thoroughfare connecting Wateridge and downtown.  However, I have a feeling that a number of residents would be happy if the entire city of Ottawa went completely car-free, given their anti-fossil-fuel, pro-active-transportation chatter online.  It's as much NIABYism as NIMBYism (not in anyone's back yard), and it's toxic like nothing else. <_<

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/4/2023 at 11:35 AM, Loud-Invero said:

They should suck it up. They did just fine with noisy fishbowls and classics on the 29/129 using Hemlock. They can also prohibit personal cars too if they worry to much about excessive traffic.

NIMBYism is such a toxic trait to have.

Spoken like someone who has absolutely no clue of the area.

Its not NIMBYism it's countering severe traffic issues in the Vanier\New Edinburgh\Manor Park neighbouhoods.

Im looking out of my front window right now and can see the Vanier Parkway which has been gridlocked for the last 2 hours, as is St Patrick and Beechwood, as it is every weekday.

Its just what we need, opening up another rat run for the residents of Orleans and Quebec. These people contribute nothing to the area, they don't use our shops, restaurants ect, they just pass through.

Maybe think before opening your mouth.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

If you were to add things to slow down someone's journey, such as speed bumps, those things they use in the summer in the middle of the road, stop signs, etc you could make the trip through that quiet house or whatever filled street slower than if you just stayed on the main road or highway. I don't know if it would work in this context but it could work for other places (obviously not Lorry Greenberg type of streets but still)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, Centralsmt said:

Spoken like someone who has absolutely no clue of the area.

Its not NIMBYism it's countering severe traffic issues in the Vanier\New Edinburgh\Manor Park neighbouhoods.

Im looking out of my front window right now and can see the Vanier Parkway which has been gridlocked for the last 2 hours, as is St Patrick and Beechwood, as it is every weekday.

Its just what we need, opening up another rat run for the residents of Orleans and Quebec. These people contribute nothing to the area, they don't use our shops, restaurants ect, they just pass through.

Maybe think before opening your mouth.

I grew up near Hemlock between 2006-2009, tyvm. They and all of Vanier face the same problems today like they did when I lived there from 2006-2009. The solution to rat running and major congestion on St. Laurent, Beechwood or Montreal Rd is to get people out of the cars in the first place, but of course, we know why people don't take the bus, whether the STO or OC. The city under Mark is most likely not going to scrap reopening Hemlock completely once completed (I mean, look at that portion of the QED and all the fighting he's doing with the NCC over it).

The truth is Wateridge needs more transit, but if they're gonna be forced to use the same roads as cars and not have a dedicated entrance/exit (like buses only on Hemlock), then who's gonna take the 7/17 instead of their car? No one will. Council will need to study the concerns of private vehicles rat running through Wateridge. The city could apply a high tech solution like retractable gates/bollards between the community and the Aviation Parkway that only open for buses, but who knows what excuses they will make not to do it. I still maintain those residents should be more open to a reopening, but to buses only. Their demands for no access on Hemlock will not be met with this city council.

 

13 hours ago, CanadianBrick1 said:

If you were to add things to slow down someone's journey, such as speed bumps, those things they use in the summer in the middle of the road, stop signs, etc you could make the trip through that quiet house or whatever filled street slower than if you just stayed on the main road or highway. I don't know if it would work in this context but it could work for other places (obviously not Lorry Greenberg type of streets but still)

They currently do that with Percy St. that runs parallel with Bronson Ave. 30 km/h limits, speed bumps every hundred meters, but if Bronson is still slower than Percy, people will still rat run through Percy if it is faster to get onto the 417 West that way

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hey all! Just moved to Ottawa from Calgary and am looking for a smartphone-friendly real-time bus tracker with map for OCTranspo. I've tried the OCBusTracker site but man, those massive ads are killer on mobile. I don't mind a small ad banner at the top or bottom, but the entire page is too much. Any other options out there? I saw a mention of the BusBuddy app from a few years ago in this thread - is that the most user-friendly choice? Any other options that's come up in the years since? Thanks!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, TimmyC62 said:

Hey all! Just moved to Ottawa from Calgary and am looking for a smartphone-friendly real-time bus tracker with map for OCTranspo. I've tried the OCBusTracker site but man, those massive ads are killer on mobile. I don't mind a small ad banner at the top or bottom, but the entire page is too much. Any other options out there? I saw a mention of the BusBuddy app from a few years ago in this thread - is that the most user-friendly choice? Any other options that's come up in the years since? Thanks!

OC Transpo recently partnered with the Transit app!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 hours ago, TimmyC62 said:

Hey all! Just moved to Ottawa from Calgary and am looking for a smartphone-friendly real-time bus tracker with map for OCTranspo. I've tried the OCBusTracker site but man, those massive ads are killer on mobile. I don't mind a small ad banner at the top or bottom, but the entire page is too much. Any other options out there? I saw a mention of the BusBuddy app from a few years ago in this thread - is that the most user-friendly choice? Any other options that's come up in the years since? Thanks!

 

11 hours ago, TimmyC62 said:

Thanks folks, Transit app it is. 

 

 

Sto also uses the Transit app (and other city’s like Calgary for example ) 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/16/2023 at 8:42 AM, Loud-Invero said:

Wow. So all the others are not road/sale worthy? Yikes.

I expect more to come up over time. I believe majority have been removed from indy/st laurent but they still need to strip whatever parts they can. Others may remain as dedicated part donors for the 81s where compatible 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/8/2023 at 3:36 PM, MCIBUS said:

Try

<snip>

Transit(This is OC Transpo's new app partnered with Transit)

<snip>

Before OC partnered with Transit, I had considered a paid upgrade to Royale service, but never got around to doing it. One of the few times that procrastination actually paid off for me!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...