Misc. OC Transpo & STO Questions & Discussion

SMS

57 minutes ago, bsnider001 said:

Since when is the 6X a thing? Lol

i just saw a bus running the 6X Billing’s Bridge at Bank/Queen. Can’t say I see that often.

There are special trips that operate between Rideau and Billings Bridge on weekends/holidays currently. 

During peak periods, it is only one direction special trips will operate. 6 Rideau Centre from Billings Bridge during the AM peak and 6 Billings Bridge from Rideau in the PM peak.

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, GTAmissions1 said:

There are special trips that operate between Rideau and Billings Bridge on weekends/holidays currently. 

During peak periods, it is only one direction special trips will operate. 6 Rideau Centre from Billings Bridge during the AM peak and 6 Billings Bridge from Rideau in the PM peak.

I know. But they are not usually labelled as the 6X is my point.

2 hours ago, GTAmissions1 said:

There are late night/early morning return trips on the 6 every day between Rideau and Billings Bridge between approximately 23.30-02.30

2 hours ago, GTAmissions1 said:

27 minutes ago, Centralsmt said:

There are late night/early morning return trips on the 6 every day between Rideau and Billings Bridge between approximately 23.30-02.30

2 hours ago, bsnider001 said:

I know. But they are not usually labelled as the 6X is my point.

I think @bsnider001's point is the "X" in the destination sign. Most (all?) of them were removed during the transition to the post-LRT bus network. I believe there may be an operator out there with a custom sign program. ;)

• Like 1

OC Transpo have posted the summer service changes on their website:

Summer service change

Begins Sunday, July 2, 2023

Some routes will be adjusted to reflect seasonal changes in ridership and improvements to service for our customers.

• School service will be removed for the duration of the summer.
  • Weekend and holiday service to summer destinations (Canada Aviation and Space Museum, Petrie Island, and the Canada Agriculture Museum) will return.
  • NCC Weekend Bikedays continues on weekends and holiday Mondays.

https://www.octranspo.com/en/plan-your-trip/service-changes/

On 6/15/2023 at 6:16 PM, Mark Walton said:

The 2 reduced to 30-minute service during the day? Useless!

I think that might be a mistake. I'm currently looking at the schedule for route 2. I have it set to July 4th, and it's showing me that the buses will be operating every 15 minutes throughout the day.

20 hours ago, OCCheetos said:

The partnership with the Transit App seems to have gone into effect at some point. The app no longer prompts you to purchase the "royale" subscription when looking at routes in Ottawa.

Not sure if this is related but I did notice as of a couple weekends ago (whenever the Night Market was happening in Chinatown) that Transit was now live-tracking buses even when they were on detour.

Was great for that weekend as the website never had any mention of the 11s detouring even though a whole section of Somerset got shut down for the festival.

21 hours ago, OCCheetos said:

The partnership with the Transit App seems to have gone into effect at some point. The app no longer prompts you to purchase the "royale" subscription when looking at routes in Ottawa.

Just a lil tip. One needs to Update the app otherwise it still prompts for the royal subscription.

On 6/19/2023 at 5:42 PM, Oc4526 said:

Just a lil tip. One needs to Update the app otherwise it still prompts for the royal subscription.

On 6/18/2023 at 8:38 PM, OCCheetos said:

It’s official.  

IMG_6534.thumb.png.04d71c82782f177b3248a8b52de22849.pngIMG_6536.thumb.png.0e292366663866623740beec6322b7dc.png

Have the Transit App but can't seem to update it? Where's the update button?

Found it. Was in the Phone Stings under apps.

I'm wondering how accurate this app is? Will it show your bus GPS when other bus apps don't for that run?

There's been many times the bus doesn't show the GPS(different bus apps IE Bus Buddy, Mon Transit, Ottawa Transit, etc)and you don't know if that run is canceled or not?

Will this app show it all the time or be like the other apps?

Regarding the Transit app, OC Transpo official app will be discontinued and no longer supported. 

https://ottawa.ctvnews.ca/oc-transpo-ditches-iphone-app-partners-with-transit-app-1.6450613

Final comments:

I remember when the official OC Transpo app was unveiled only for iPhone (iOS) since it was easier to develop and support. Though after 10 years, most people have shifted to more reliable apps such as Transit which supports many more systems with more reliable data. 

No new information for the official app will be provided after July 1st. I remember the times before cellular data, you had to text the 4 digit stop number or the station name along with what route you were waiting for. Though it could be hit or miss such as if you were at the first stop and how times can change.

22 hours ago, MCIBUS said:

I'm wondering how accurate this app is? Will it show your bus GPS when other bus apps don't for that run?

There's been many times the bus doesn't show the GPS(different bus apps IE Bus Buddy, Mon Transit, Ottawa Transit, etc)and you don't know if that run is canceled or not?

Will this app show it all the time or be like the other apps?

From my experience with the app.  The app will show on a map the approximate location (Not live) and the number of mins until it arrives (if it’s got 3 lines flashing it’s the gps time. If not it’s scheduled) 

Here’s an example 

IMG_6541.thumb.png.c083602730ad45747272c6fbf01c6a2b.png 

Here’s a how to read the times on the app 

IMG_6542.thumb.png.976459caf9b5f95ef1799be7012ed4a2.png

20 hours ago, MCIBUS said:

I wonder how those that pay $25 for the upgrade naybe two or so months ago feel? wiill they get a rebate on the service?

The user would have to contact them which is available in the mobile app. Tweet attached for reference. 

Gear icon, transit logo tab (right side column) and there will be an email option. Which those who have paid for the upgrade will be handled on a case by case basis once their account is reviewed. 

On 6/19/2023 at 5:42 PM, Oc4526 said:

Version 5.14.7. Does the Royale upgrade work in other cities, at least those whose transit systems are partnered with TransitApp? BTW STO and Transcollines are also partners.

On 6/15/2023 at 1:10 PM, tomsbuspage said:

OC Transpo have posted the summer service changes on their website:

https://www.octranspo.com/en/plan-your-trip/service-changes/

On 6/15/2023 at 6:16 PM, Mark Walton said:

The 2 reduced to 30-minute service during the day? Useless!

On 6/19/2023 at 2:07 AM, Gregory said:

I think that might be a mistake. I'm currently looking at the schedule for route 2. I have it set to July 4th, and it's showing me that the buses will be operating every 15 minutes throughout the day.

The service changes page has been updated to say:

"Reduced in both directions between approx. 7:30 am and 8:30 am to every 15 minutes"

which still doesn't seem entirely correct, but it's better.

• Thanks 1

On 6/23/2023 at 7:48 AM, OCCheetos said:

The service changes page has been updated to say:

"Reduced in both directions between approx. 7:30 am and 8:30 am to every 15 minutes"

which still doesn't seem entirely correct, but it's better.

Not sure why it says that, but for us internally it shows the run is operating every 12-15 minutes all day and dipping slightly to 18 min near end of service for the summer booking which begins July 2nd 

Just like before using ex-Para Transpo bus Orion II's or those they used in the early 1970.s, Unless it done differently this time around I see it failing once again. But time will maybe it might work this time around but i dought it.

1 hour ago, sdgta2008 said:

I just heard on CFRA that OC Transpo will begin the OnDemand pilot project this fall.  The service is expected to be in 2 low-ridership zones in the city (To be announced), and ParaTranspo buses will be used for the pilot.

The discussion over On Demand Transit is as a result of today's Transit Commission Meeting (https://pub-ottawa.escribemeetings.com/Meeting.aspx?Id=fce4c301-5bd9-40ec-a18e-405b0e4d07da&Agenda=Agenda&lang=English), Item 6.2 of the Agenda.

And you can watch the meeting here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o8EE_NMcj_U