TTC CLRV/ALRV updates and discussion

18 hours ago, Genius101 said:

And there aren't that many active 40xx cars remaining I usually see only 10-15 of them in service on a day to day basis. 

I did see 4012 non Wednesday afternoon getting ready to leave High Park loop as I drove by after work so that one’s still going.  I saw a 405x, it might have been 4055 or 4057 but I’m not sure, I had a lot of trouble catching the last digit because of having to deal with some asinine drivers while I was driving along Lakeshore maybe a week and a half ago. There are some out there but they are getting few and far between now.

A bunch of out of town PCC guys ranging in age from 12 through early 70s stopped at my place for dinner last night and we were talking about this around the fire pit, how strange it was to be going into Toronto to catch last rides when for the older bunch of us in the group, we used to let CLRVs or Kawasaki’s or Boeings go by to catch rides on PCC cars.  Some things have changed so much over the years but others haven’t.  The streetcars may be different now but hanging out in the back yard on a nice evening around a roaring fire with good food and good friends catching up and trading stories hasn’t.  

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Wayside Observer said:

I did see 4012 non Wednesday afternoon getting ready to leave High Park loop as I drove by after work so that one’s still going.  I saw a 405x, it might have been 4055 or 4057 but I’m not sure, I had a lot of trouble catching the last digit because of having to deal with some asinine drivers while I was driving along Lakeshore maybe a week and a half ago.

Must’ve been 4057. 4055 is long gone in streetcar heaven

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Wayside Observer said:

I did see 4012 non Wednesday afternoon getting ready to leave High Park loop as I drove by after work so that one’s still going.

4012 was out on Lake Shore yesterday (Friday). Very noticeable by the 501 LONG BRANCH sign up at the back of the car.

14 hours ago, Wayside Observer said:

A bunch of out of town PCC guys ranging in age from 12 through early 70s stopped at my place for dinner last night and we were talking about this around the fire pit, how strange it was to be going into Toronto to catch last rides when for the older bunch of us in the group, we used to let CLRVs or Kawasaki’s or Boeings go by to catch rides on PCC cars.

I used to let rebuilt PCCs go by to catch rides on unrebuilt or second-hand PCCs. I rode 4673 on what must have been one of the very last runs by an A11 car, all the way to Connaught, late in 1981 or '82. (Transit Toronto says the last car in service was 4666.)

4051 still tracks but is missing parts. I would mark it as retired but this apparently happened to 4171 before it came back in service too. Does anyone know if this unit is done?

8 hours ago, PCC Guy said:

4051 still tracks but is missing parts. I would mark it as retired but this apparently happened to 4171 before it came back in service too. Does anyone know if this unit is done?

Yes. It is done.

8 hours ago, bus_7246 said:

I would assume 4051 is definitely done since the first interior light fixture has been opened up, and multiple parts are stored inside the car 

4051 is done.

• Thanks 2

At Russell as of 9:3am, 4089 is in front of 4051 on track 21 , track 20 is empty and 4190 is behind 4052, 4228, unknown ALRV and 4221 on track 19. I also saw 4204 looping around the carhouse 3 times with 4-5 crew members/operators on board for what probably was a training run in the yard.

Edit: The cars on track 21 are powered and anything on track 19 had no power. 

Edit 2: 4171 was just pushed onto track 20

Edit 3: As of 11am Track 21 is empty and 4051 is now sitting behind an unpowered 4171

• Thanks 3

1 hour ago, christine said:

I also saw 4204 looping around the carhouse 3 times with 4-5 crew members/operators on board for what probably was a training run in the yard.

Can someone in the know advise how we could possibly need to train ALRV operators right now?

1 hour ago, dowlingm said:

Can someone in the know advise how we could possibly need to train ALRV operators right now?

Not necessarily training, but possibly a recertification refresher course on the car despite their unwanted end

2 hours ago, christine said:

At Russell as of 9:3am, 4089 is in front of 4051 on track 21 , track 20 is empty and 4190 is behind 4052, 4228, unknown ALRV and 4221 on track 19. I also saw 4204 looping around the carhouse 3 times with 4-5 crew members/operators on board for what probably was a training run in the yard.

The unknown ALRV is 4230 (I would’ve thought process of elimination would’ve stuck out as a sore thumb at this point). The cars on 19 track were all shut down. Not sure what the reason is for that

• Thanks 6

4089 went up to Hillcrest for some reason today.

The aforementioned 4052 and 4190 are both MIA, and given where 4171 is parked I suspect it may have met a sticky end.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, christine said:

They took 4171 or 4089 away? I saw 4171 late this morning and 4089 yesterday and both looked ready to be hauled away but were still sitting on Track 20.

All of the streetcars were intact poles up & lights on!