Vicinity Motor Corporation

MAX BRT

39 minutes ago, Chinese Daniel said:

I wish GW can make the CNG roof like XN40, because CNG now look funny.

Image result for weight reduction bro meme

Not necessarily though. That, but also, if you have more body, that means more skin drag, which mucks up fuel economy. That isn't good for a company like GW which advertises industry best fuel econ. Mind you, the vicinity isn't the type to be racking up highway kms, but it'll certainly help to some stretch. 

To add, its also the way GW designed it too. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Silly Tilley said:

The rear axle is not shifted forward, rather there is an additional 2.5' (approximately) added to the rear which makes the bus around 32' long rather than 30', allowing for a traditional T drive setup with dual rear wheels. The rear of the 35' version is also designed this way.

The giveaway is the last passenger windows at the rear are about half the size on the 27' and 30' versions compared to the 32' and 35' version. Hard to tell from the first photo due to the wrap, here's come more clear ones from flickr that show it, from users "J. Mc." and "Articulated":

It seems the 32' version came about because of the customer insisting on a T-drive design, I assume Grande West would offer this version to other customers that insist on T-drive designs as well. 

38682560572_9ea4bd5d2d_z.jpgVicinity 32' CNG Demonstrator by J. Mc., on Flickr

25544950628_f570a0e745_z.jpgBurlington Transit 7026-17 by Articulated Photos, on Flickr

That’s called “six of one, half dozen of the other”. It’s not like I’m inclined to get on my hands and knees and tape measure the wheelbase.

the point is there’s now room for the Allison.

1 hour ago, MiWay0310 said:

Image result for weight reduction bro meme

Not necessarily though. That, but also, if you have more body, that means more skin drag, which mucks up fuel economy. That isn't good for a company like GW which advertises industry best fuel econ. Mind you, the vicinity isn't the type to be racking up highway kms, but it'll certainly help to some stretch. 

To add, its also the way GW designed it too. 

Dude. You’re analyzing the skin drag of an elongated cube.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

On 1/29/2018 at 12:12 PM, MiWay0310 said:

I found that some Vicinity buses require lower class driving licenses, at least in BC. Why is this? It carries 39 passengers, isn't a full license required?

On 1/29/2018 at 12:38 PM, Bravo Actual said:

Very interesting! Is this a province based decision or a country wide?

On 1/29/2018 at 12:40 PM, MiWay0310 said:

I believe province-based, as BCs licenses may be slightly different than say, ON or QC. Haven't read up on it yet...planning to do so later. Will come back with more. 

I checked BC's licence classes and the class 4 minibus licence allows up to 24 seated passengers, apparently not including standees.  This seating requirement is consistent with class E or F licences in Ontario and class 4B licences in Quebec:

Class 4 (unrestricted)

What you can use it for:

• To drive buses with a maximum seating capacity of 25 persons (including the driver), including school buses, special activity buses and special vehicles used to transport people with disabilities
  • To drive taxis and limousines
  • To drive ambulances
  • To drive any vehicle in Class 5

http://www.icbc.com/driver-licensing/types-licences/Pages/Licence-classes-and-types.aspx

• Like 3

2 hours ago, tomsbuspage said:

the class 4 minibus licence allows up to 24 seated passengers, apparently not including standees.

That's surprising. I would have thought they would have the standard license for all buses, regardless of seating capacity. At that, I would have thought the capacity restrictions would have included standees.

Thanks for posting the info though!

• Thanks 1

I don't think it's surprising. I would suspect though that the spirit of the designation of those vehicle classes at the time was largely based upon the concept of a 24 passenger bus being of a cutaway type design which was more or less a bigger version of a passenger van. 

In that case it made sense to make the distinction between a small van type bus and the larger 40'+ buses.

Alberta has had similar classes to BC for as long as I can remember. That goes back 20ish years, and I can count on one hand the number of 24 passenger or less transit buses that weren't of a cutaway style in transit service in Alberta. Today though, things have changed.

As for standees.... there just wasn't much room for standees on a high floor cutaway, so it probably wasn't considered to be a big problem.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

From a prior Facebook post from a west-coast based enthusiast, he had reported that there were two Vicinity buses that were numbered 7065-18 and I forget the second one, perhaps, 7066-18. I do know that this month, Burlington Transit are expecting seven of these. Have there been sightings or reports of the other five and their fleet numbers, too? Thank you.

ADditionally, any sightings or reports of Oakville Transit order of 8 Vicinity's?

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/2/2018 at 6:04 PM, newflyerinvero said:

From a prior Facebook post from a west-coast based enthusiast, he had reported that there were two Vicinity buses that were numbered 7065-18 and I forget the second one, perhaps, 7066-18. I do know that this month, Burlington Transit are expecting seven of these. Have there been sightings or reports of the other five and their fleet numbers, too? Thank you.

ADditionally, any sightings or reports of Oakville Transit order of 8 Vicinity's?

Welland also has an order

I wonder if we could see Grande West acquired by Nova.  I initially thought New Flyer would have been a likely buyer, but considering they bought ARBOC, that now seems less likely.  This could give Nova a smaller bus offering.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ABQ RIDE said:

I wonder if we could see Grande West acquired by Nova.  I initially thought New Flyer would have been a likely buyer, but considering they bought ARBOC, that now seems less likely.  This could give Nova a smaller bus offering.

Personally, id like to see them stay their own entity and see some kind of 30ft LFS (Seriously I think it could actually sell). Id also very much however like to see more of these Vicinity buses around Ontario. It'd give us something different to look at.

• Like 1

Is anyone aware of more US orders since MARTA and ATL parking? It would be nice to see some Vicinity action in the US, especially if it's replacing jumbo cutaways.

On 5/1/2018 at 11:17 AM, ABQ RIDE said:

Are a lot of Nova customers saying they don't want 40' and 60' buses anymore and flocking to 30'/35' models? If NOVA wanted a 35' or 30' model I'm sure with their parent Volvo's international expertise they can cook up a LFSS model. Or if they want to do something different and 'new' looking they could also bring the Volvo 7900 model into the North American market under the Nova or Prevost brand.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ADB said:

You can add Brooklyn Navy Yard, LaGuardia Airport, West Palm Beach Airport, and a private operator in Boston.

See p. 13.

I'm surprised LGA got them. I also know who the private operator in Boston is but I'm not sure if I'm to divulge that information.

12 hours ago, ADB said:

You can add Brooklyn Navy Yard, LaGuardia Airport, West Palm Beach Airport, and a private operator in Boston.

See p. 13.

Already pics of the Brooklyn Navy Yard ones in service on Facebook.

9 hours ago, Chris W said:

I'm surprised LGA got them. I also know who the private operator in Boston is but I'm not sure if I'm to divulge that information.

With the on going construction going on LGA for the next five years or so with road detours around there smaller buses would make it easier to get around 

• 2 months later...
5 hours ago, Buzz2kb said:

Hi!  I just wonder why Vicinity buses are much more successful in Canada compared to the US?  The only reason I can think of is the lack of competition from 29ft. Gillig Low Floor's. Are there something else at work?  Thanks!

Yes, they are medium duty and Chinese = Cheap to buy

Less successful so far in the US due to Buy American Requirements, but apparently that will be less of an issue soon.

14 hours ago, RZ350 said:

Yes, they are medium duty and Chinese = Cheap to buy

Less successful so far in the US due to Buy American Requirements, but apparently that will be less of an issue soon.

I thought only the body shells were made in China? And that the majority of the bus was still "built" in BC?

1 hour ago, Bravo Actual said:

I thought only the body shells were made in China? And that the majority of the bus was still "built" in BC?

Assembled, would be a better description, 95% of the parts come from China. Even the ISB engine is from the Chinese Cummins plant. The Voith Transmission is still sourced from the usual places I believe. Even the axles are now from a Chinese company.