Sault Ste Marie Transit

t_harris01

11 hours ago, MCI Classic said:

Some people should no be driving a bus if they freak out like that. Did the Sault Ste Marie Terminal always have a rent a cop or is that something new ?

i know, since they are dealing with public and they really should have some PR sense but not just "driving the vehicle" to complete their job.  It's a job that you have to deal with people, including other road users, your passengers etc..............

Ottawa seems to be the BEST PLACE with transit photography, their drivers always smile and wave at you when you are taking photos on their buses, something that other transit systems should learn about educating their drivers.

On 3/7/2016 at 6:03 PM, cmc12 said:

My information may be a bit out of date, but I spent some time there last August. Their fleet should be as follows:

MCI Classic: 128 & 129

Orion VI: 119, 120, & 141 thru 153 (ex. Ottawa)

Orion VII: 131 thru 134

Nova LFS: 135 thru 140

GMC Cutaway: 154 & 155 (Community Buses)

Presumably the SLFs are no more.

119(2015-08-12).JPG120(2015-08-12).JPG128(2015-08-12)b.JPG129(2015-08-12).JPG140(2015-08-12).JPG153(2015-08-12).JPG155(2015-08-12).JPG

Thanks for sharing, it seems that the two Thomas has since been replaced with the two cutaways, so sad!

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...
On 4/21/2018 at 7:59 AM, Seashore_518203 said:

Apparently, 4 of the used buses are the Orion VII buses from Thunder Bay.

Wow this is a shocking news, and how about the other 4 used buses?  And is it safe to assume they are going to replace 8 of the used ex-OC Transpo Orion VI in the fleet?

• 3 months later...

The Orion VII buses from Thunder Bay have entered service. I spotted three units numbered 158-160, and the other unit should be 157 (assuming there isn't a random other bus purchased after the 2016 Nova). Former fleet numbers were not easily visible, so I cannot confirm which units are which.

Sault Ste Marie Transit has also launched another redesign of their route network. There are now seven conventional routes instead of eight, and service now drops down to hourly during the midday instead of a constant 30 minute frequency across the network until 6pm. The old Riverside/McNabb routes were combined into new route 5, and the old Steelton/Second Line routes were combined into new route 7. Both these routes are "double length" and take 2 hours to return to the downtown terminal; route 6 North Street also makes its full return trip in only 30 minutes now. Previously, all routes made their round trip in 1 hour.

43150949494_99a97bbc46.jpg

• Like 4

Going back through my photos for another time, 145 and 148 have been retired, as their plates were transferred over to 158 and 160 respectively.

I think 145 has been active in the garage for a while before being retired. I never saw in service in all in my trips to Sault Ste Marie.

• 6 months later...

Sault Ste Marie's 2019 budget includes the purchase of 5 replacement buses - 3 40' buses and 2 35' buses. There is also $4 million budgeted in 2020 for bus replacement so they look to be catching up on fleet replacement.

Para-Transit buses are to start being replaced with low floor cutaways starting this year.

On the operating side there is funding to restore 30 minute frequency through the day during the summer months. Currently midday service during the summer runs on a hourly frequency as part of the service changes made last year and this move was unpopular with riders with many complaints.

• 2 months later...

If anyone is surprised what happened, Sault Ste. Marie Transit has acquired ex-TTC #1684, a 2008 Orion VII NG Hybrid (per @Lex Reid) recently.

This is not quite confirmed with the other three or five units that SSMT acquired but I will keep an eye on it in the TTC VII Retirements thread. 

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Seashore_518203 said:

SSM Transit # 161 (ex-TTC 7907) is in service still in TTC colors with SSM logos applied.

Thanks for the heads up! This should help the fleet shortage. Would you happen to know if any of the hybrids going to be used for service or just parts?

Between the need for technician safety training, never mind purchasing copies of proprietary diagnostic software, investing in a scaffold just to access the battery tub at the very least, and the general clapped out condition and inherent unreliability of the legacy hybridrive....Their intended purpose should be a forgone conclusion.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I’m somewhat surprised they left the blue hoodlum lights connected. The TTC was(is) granted a variance from the MTO for them (legally supposed to be applied to snow removal equipment ONLY)

I’m 99% certain it’s was worded for the TTC only. For those that remember, that was the reason why they were left unplugged while on delivery from the factory in Oriskany. 

Not that I anticipate any grief from the regulatory bodies up there, they have more important things to do.