Miscellaneous TTC Discussion & Questions

Orion V

On 11/21/2023 at 8:05 PM, CJ. said:

STC RT station seems to be going early stages of being stripped (I wonder what the new purpose will be since they cant tear it down). They are planning on also building a door across the staircase entrances to it because high schoolers keep breaking in, with some saying they walk on the tracks

Without going upstairs you'll notice the black hang up signs have the signage removed inside of them, the maps showing line 3 are also removed except one lonely by the collector. They also said they are going to remove that iconic hexagonal bus and train sign (pretty sure the RT symbol was already removed from it). 

Speaking of the ex-SRT stations, back when I was in Toronto for my reading week I talked to 2 fare collectors at Ellesmere and midland, who told me that the TTC is planning to permanently shut down the SRT stations besides Kennedy and STC on December 23.

According to them, originally they were going to do this November 19, but the TTC isn’t even sure what to do with the SRT stations as they are worried about the homeless living inside of them (apparently there’s already been possum sightings inside ellesmere station). I was also told the TTC will be removing the presto infrastructure in those stations soon

to me it makes absolutely no sense to have fare collectors in a de facto abandoned rt station, but hey I’m not the TTC 

I know that fare collectors may not be the best source of information on this, so does anyone have further information on what the plans are for the former SRT stations? 

Also in terms of the purpose for the STC rt station, my guess would be that (along with the Kennedy SRT platforms) they will be used for storage

1 hour ago, Novabus photographer said:

Speaking of the ex-SRT stations, back when I was in Toronto for my reading week I talked to 2 fare collectors at Ellesmere and midland, who told me that the TTC is planning to permanently shut down the SRT stations besides Kennedy and STC on December 23.

According to them, originally they were going to do this November 19, but the TTC isn’t even sure what to do with the SRT stations as they are worried about the homeless living inside of them (apparently there’s already been possum sightings inside ellesmere station). I was also told the TTC will be removing the presto infrastructure in those stations soon

to me it makes absolutely no sense to have fare collectors in a de facto abandoned rt station, but hey I’m not the TTC 

I know that fare collectors may not be the best source of information on this, so does anyone have further information on what the plans are for the former SRT stations? 

Also in terms of the purpose for the STC rt station, my guess would be that (along with the Kennedy SRT platforms) they will be used for storage

For the foreseeable future, all I know is that the RT station doors will be locked indefinitely besides Kennedy and STC. I remember hearing, collectors were supposed to stay for one more board period after the original shutdown date (nov18) so they could answer questions, etc while people find out or adjust to the new norm. 

STC specifically is going to have the staircases closed for obvious reasons if you haven't been keeping up (a group of high school students in backpacks decided to walk on the tracks from STC station to Mccowan station quite recently), and a door will be required to access the staircases to go to the platform. I heard that short term plans indicate that the RT entrances to the platform, even though on track level, will be fully boarded up too. I assume other stations will follow this

I think its safe to say eventually everything but kennedy and stc RT stations will be demolished. Kennedy will probably get a similar wall with a door built like STC is about to due to reports of homeless living on the upstairs platforms. 

34 minutes ago, Xtrazsteve said:

Unless they have security on site, it will be hard to keep out trespassers. 

I'd say its impossible. CCTV at STC for example, showing the RT platforms has been literally disabled (who thought this was a good idea), so now even TTC personnel can't see whats going on or the collectors. Then they complain when people trespass that nobody told them

What I'm genuinely interested is on the fate of the RT trains. It looks like the McCowan crew got sent back to work at Greenwood, McCowan yard parking lot is always empty now.

Probably not a good idea to post the status of the cctv system on a public forum if the intention is to discourage trespassing.

Another property have expressed interest in some of the cars (either whole or in pieces) and spare parts inventory. The more astute of you guys should be able to deduce who they are.

32 minutes ago, Bus_Medic said:

Probably not a good idea to post the status of the cctv system on a public forum if the intention is to discourage trespassing.

Another property have expressed interest in some of the cars (either whole or in pieces) and spare parts inventory. The more astute of you guys should be able to deduce who they are.

Riyadh metro? I know they are currently under construction and will use the ICTS system on some of their lines

7 hours ago, Novabus photographer said:

Riyadh metro? I know they are currently under construction and will use the ICTS system on some of their lines

Ironic if the plan to send handmedown SRTs over there (if your guess is correct) ends up falling through just like Lagos did a decade ago, it'd be history repeating itself (sort-of).

Surely a wealthy country building a brand new subway line would be more interested in brand new rolling stock (and if they really want to go ICTS, why not look at Vancouver's newest stock as an example).

My guess was either Vancouver or Detroit, pretty much the only other systems to use this tech.

51 minutes ago, 81-717 said:

Ironic if the plan to send handmedown SRTs over there (if your guess is correct) ends up falling through just like Lagos did a decade ago, it'd be history repeating itself (sort-of).

Surely a wealthy country building a brand new subway line would be more interested in brand new rolling stock (and if they really want to go ICTS, why not look at Vancouver's newest stock as an example).

It was only a guess, I have no idea whether they were the ones who ordered them

Former Inter-City Coach Terminal

Has anthing been done with the former inter-city coach on Bay Street? Has the property been sold? Is there any plans for it?

One suggestion might be a temory  homeless shelter till they decide to do with the property.

I can't comment on the homeless issues in the GTA, but if it's anything like here in Ottawa where here's no room, the could retrofit the bus bays (close off the entrances and install over head heaters and use thar along with prevous waiting area with beds at lest for the winter.

17 hours ago, Bus_Medic said:

That would be true, but I honestly don't really care. Neither does TTC themselves (and that is until an incident which was fully preventable happens). A set of small escalator gates that are left wide open at all times (because those that use the break room in the platform don't give enough of a shit to close it), disabling CCTV in platforms, still letting the elevator go to the Line 3 RT platform, is just an easy way of them saying they do not care

What was once a "Rapid Transit" station is now used as a teenager drug hotspot

46 minutes ago, CJ. said:

That would be true, but I honestly don't really care. Neither does TTC themselves (and that is until an incident which was fully preventable happens). A set of small escalator gates that are left wide open at all times (because those that use the break room in the platform don't give enough of a shit to close it), disabling CCTV in platforms, still letting the elevator go to the Line 3 RT platform, is just an easy way of them saying they do not care

What was once a "Rapid Transit" station is now used as a teenager drug hotspot

IMG_3011.thumb.jpeg.155bda4d0fbf0f3f619145b017d18832.jpeg

• Haha 1

23 hours ago, 81-717 said:

My guess was either Vancouver or Detroit, pretty much the only other systems to use this tech.

Lagos had opted to buy new trains from China instead for its new line. I could see Cuba getting the second hand SRT trains (or newer Chinese trains) because they can't afford new trains from the U.S. thanks to the embargo.

9 hours ago, Kumiko Oumae said:

Lagos had opted to buy new trains from China instead for its new line. I could see Cuba getting the second hand SRT trains (or newer Chinese trains) because they can't afford new trains from the U.S. thanks to the embargo.

Who on earth would possibly want SRT trains except someplace already stuck with the ICTS system? I don't think it's cheating to say "nobody". And first gen ICTS, to boot.

• Like 2

Here are my opinions on bus division changes when/if the Eglinton Crosstown opens in this lifetime

19 Caledonia- Wilson

27 Jane South-Queensway Division

29 Dufferin and 929- Mt Dennis 

32- Eglinton West-Queensway Division 

34 Eglinton-Mt Dennis or Eglinton ( Most likely Mount Dennis cause of deadheading if most runs start and end at Mount Dennis Stn) or Eglinton if runs start at Kennedy 

35 Jane- Mt Dennis

41 Keele- Mt Dennis

47 Lansdowne- Wilson 

71 Runnymede-Mt Dennis

73 Royal York- Queensway

63 Ossington- Wilson

89 Weston- Wilson or Arrow or Mt Dennis

109 Ranee-Wilson 

161 Rogers rd- Mt Dennis

164 Castlefeild- Wilson

168 Symington- Mt Dennis

171 Mount Dennis- Pretty obvious lol

901 AirPort-Eglinton Express- this one is kind of a toss up between 4 divisions Mt Dennis,Wilson,Arrow or Queensway

989 Weston Express- Wilson or Arrow or Mt Dennis 

*Keep in mind this is only a thought of which routes could go where in the West end I’ll make a list of the rest of the line 5 East of Cedervale later in the week

Feel free to add opinions 

• Confused 1

13 hours ago, Young said:

Here are my opinions on bus division changes when/if the Eglinton Crosstown opens in this lifetime

19 Caledonia- Wilson

27 Jane South-Queensway Division

29 Dufferin and 929- Mt Dennis 

32- Eglinton West-Queensway Division 

34 Eglinton-Mt Dennis or Eglinton ( Most likely Mount Dennis cause of deadheading if most runs start and end at Mount Dennis Stn) or Eglinton if runs start at Kennedy 

35 Jane- Mt Dennis

41 Keele- Mt Dennis

47 Lansdowne- Wilson 

71 Runnymede-Mt Dennis

73 Royal York- Queensway

63 Ossington- Wilson

89 Weston- Wilson or Arrow or Mt Dennis

109 Ranee-Wilson 

161 Rogers rd- Mt Dennis

164 Castlefeild- Wilson

168 Symington- Mt Dennis

171 Mount Dennis- Pretty obvious lol

901 AirPort-Eglinton Express- this one is kind of a toss up between 4 divisions Mt Dennis,Wilson,Arrow or Queensway

989 Weston Express- Wilson or Arrow or Mt Dennis 

*Keep in mind this is only a thought of which routes could go where in the West end I’ll make a list of the rest of the line 5 East of Cedervale later in the week

Feel free to add opinions 

I'd be more inclined to send more routes to Birchmount. They seem to be the only garage that has a fleet under it's garage capacity.

Most garages have a capacity of 250 buses, Birchmount only has 222 buses, based on current CPTDB wiki data.

Now that number might fluctuate if more Flyers are sent there. Going forward as well, beyond the Eglinton line,

I think Scarborough is going to need more buses with the RT closure. So I'd like to see the 4 west divisions perhaps covering routes further east,

up to and possibly including the 24 in order for Birchmount to focus its efforts on some of the routes that now service Kennedy Station,

and sharing those duties with the other eastern divisions. 

8 minutes ago, MorningsideExpress said:

I'd be more inclined to send more routes to Birchmount. They seem to be the only garage that has a fleet under it's garage capacity.

Most garages have a capacity of 250 buses, Birchmount only has 222 buses, based on current CPTDB wiki data.

Now that number might fluctuate if more Flyers are sent there. Going forward as well, beyond the Eglinton line,

I think Scarborough is going to need more buses with the RT closure. So I'd like to see the 4 west divisions perhaps covering routes further east,

up to and possibly including the 24 in order for Birchmount to focus its efforts on some of the routes that now service Kennedy Station,

and sharing those duties with the other eastern divisions. 

Routes like 11 Bayview and 74 Mt Pleasant for example, seems like it's a bit of a stretch for Eglinton to cover, keeping in mind that increase in demand for bus service in Scarborough. So if Wilson is able to make that work, I think it would go a long way to improving efficiency over the next 5-7 years. 

Edited by MorningsideExpress
spelling

2 hours ago, MorningsideExpress said:

Remember that most of routes birchmount runs do not require a large amount of buses, which is why they don’t have as many. Also with mcnicoll opening they don’t need as many as they once did.

however I see your point and could definitely see the following routes going to birchmount

26 Dupont

127 Davenport

28 bayview (especially if it starts from brick works)

88 south leaside

67 pharmacy 

I didn’t include too many Eglinton routes since they are also under capacity, but not by nearly as much. It’s mainly the west end divisions and malvern that are over capacity. Also keep in mind that while mount Dennis is over capacity now, it won’t be in a few months when all the OG hybrids are gone and all the flyers have entered service