Miscellaneous TTC Discussion & Questions

Orion V

5 hours ago, TransitMotorcoach said:

The only reason why I left YRT is because it contracts out operations and there is no long term job stability. If it was in-house, I would have stayed there for sure.

In regards to my work ethic being criticized like this, at the end of the day, my driving record is way better than yours, guaranteed. You call it cheating the system, I call it being safety-conscious and not unnecessarily wearing myself out. This is why I have not had a preventable accident to this day, while you have a laundry list of them.

And guess what, even if I was fired or left the TTC, the toxic and poisoned work culture and environment that fosters what you call "playing games" will still continue to exist. Rather than shooting the messenger for exhibiting symptoms, go for the big fish that are the root cause of these issues.

In addition, seeing this gang-up on me just for being a safety-conscious individual, even if it means missing trips by driving slower (which is possible to do on a route that is timed way too tight and not long in distance) or taking 5 minutes of layover at the end even if technically 2 are left, it goes to show what is truly wrong as a collective with the North American customer service culture. 

Funny that there are drivers out there with 30 plus years of safe driving records and Abe to do it without losing as many trips as you do. Maybe you should follow their example.  Nobody is stopping you from resigning.  If you are fed up with the job then resign.

7 hours ago, TransitMotorcoach said:

In regards to my work ethic being criticized like this, at the end of the day, my driving record is way better than yours, guaranteed. You call it cheating the system, I call it being safety-conscious and not unnecessarily wearing myself out. This is why I have not had a preventable accident to this day, while you have a laundry list of them.

It's easy to have a clean driving record if you spend your working day parked against the wall or in the bosses office.  What you do at work has an effect on people. When you play games, you make someone late for an exam, or late to pick up their kid at daycare, or make them late for the last time at work before they get fired and can't afford to pay the mortgage:

Screenshotfrom2023-09-2806-26-08.thumb.png.7b4a2f039573fb16f4351c33bfb1437c.png

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Turtle said:

It's easy to have a clean driving record if you spend your working day parked against the wall or in the bosses office.  What you do at work has an effect on people. When you play games, you make someone late for an exam, or late to pick up their kid at daycare, or make them late for the last time at work before they get fired and can't afford to pay the mortgage:

Screenshotfrom2023-09-2806-26-08.thumb.png.7b4a2f039573fb16f4351c33bfb1437c.png

The only thing that makes people late is the TTC creating completely unrealistic run schedules that are impossible to achieve, downright abusive on the operators who drive them, and to be honest, quite deceitful to the passengers as well. But of course, Karens like you will always go on about how there are drivers who manage to do it, mind you, drivers who wreck themselves in the process and put others in jeopardy as well. 

5 hours ago, leylandvictory2 said:

Funny that there are drivers out there with 30 plus years of safe driving records and Abe to do it without losing as many trips as you do. Maybe you should follow their example.  Nobody is stopping you from resigning.  If you are fed up with the job then resign.

Those senior operators always take the runs that offer very decent run times and don't kill them in the process. Remember that. They been around long enough that they know to a tee which runs to stay away from and which runs work. 

If you think I should resign or be fired, I invite you to replace me afterwards. Let's see if you would even get through training, let alone be able to hold up once you are thrown to the wolves after day 25. I guarantee you, you will not be spewing the same ish once you are on the other side.

2 hours ago, smallspy said:

If you already have the problems made up in your mind before you get to work every day, sure. And confirmation bias is a thing, too.

No need to make up any problem, when I see them right in front of myself anytime I am on duty. 

1 hour ago, TransitMotorcoach said:

Those senior operators always take the runs that offer very decent run times and don't kill them in the process. Remember that. They been around long enough that they know to a tee which runs to stay away from and which runs work. 

Yes, that's how seniority works, except you are unwilling to put in the time to get some. Shute, you can't even wait 2 years to apply for another internal job, even though they clearly told you a wait of 2 years was required for your first transfer or job change. I think you can be accommodated with a division change to the same mode on a compassionate transfer before that, but it's up to them. They probably wouldn't do it for you, being a hot potato. 

I hear Malvern has some pretty nice work, just watch out for the "reserved table" in the employee lounge

8 minutes ago, Turtle said:

Yes, that's how seniority works, except you are unwilling to put in the time to get some. Shute, you can't even wait 2 years to apply for another internal job, even though they clearly told you a wait of 2 years was required for your first transfer or job change. I think you can be accommodated with a division change to the same mode on a compassionate transfer before that, but it's up to them. They probably wouldn't do it for you, being a hot potato. 

I hear Malvern has some pretty nice work, just watch out for the "reserved table" in the employee lounge

Since where did I say that I am not willing to put in the years of service in order to get to sign better work? You clearly are mentally insane and absolutely retarded, making absolutely ridiculous false assumptions that have nothing to do with the topic at hand. Individuals like you and those who back you, are the reason why this forum is an absolute dumpster fire, and why some rational-minded members no longer wish to even post on here, as hotheads like you are so eager to have bullshit arguments without even acknowledging the valid points the other person is making. 

4 hours ago, TransitMotorcoach said:

Since where did I say that I am not willing to put in the years of service in order to get to sign better work? You clearly are mentally insane and absolutely retarded, making absolutely ridiculous false assumptions that have nothing to do with the topic at hand. Individuals like you and those who back you, are the reason why this forum is an absolute dumpster fire, and why some rational-minded members no longer wish to even post on here, as hotheads like you are so eager to have bullshit arguments without even acknowledging the valid points the other person is making. 

Bud, given that it has only been a year plus on the job and you're this disgruntled on the job? It's clearly that you're not the right fit for the job, hell I would even question your fit for duty. Blaming others but yourself for your shortcomings and clearly not looking for change. Not all Queensway runs and crews are trash and I have colleagues that are definitely under you that are completely fine with their work.  

I'm going to try and shift gears here, this particular thread is getting a little toxic. Certainly a far cry from what this discussion board used to be like in 2006. 

I have a new express route proposal that is ready to be picked apart, so buckle up!

952C Lawrence West Express

I'm looking at ways to improve transit service to and from Sunnybrook Hospital during peak times. It's no secret that during shift change that this hospital and up and down Bayview Avenue is absolute gridlock, and while I'm sure express bus service may not have any impact for those who drive to Sunnybrook, I'm wondering if it will have any impact on addressing overcrowding on the 124 and at Lawrence Station. Another contributing factor to heavy traffic on Bayview is the three schools in the Bayview & Lawrence area that all seem to empty out at the same time, along with Sunnybrook staff. So could the 952 make things any better in any shape or form? Whether it's a separate branch from Lawrence West to Sunnbrook, or a full express route to Pearson Airport. Whether it means reducing service on the 124 to accommodate this change. I'm curious on your thoughts here. So have at er! 🤠 

45 minutes ago, Xtrazsteve said:

Back in the early 2010s, there was a rumour of a 52E route running between the 2 stations like the 84E which became the current 984B. 

It might be more reliable than any branch operating west of Allen. 

I'd be curious to see if it would catch on with Sunnybrook Staff and patients in order to reduce congestion on the hospital property. Traffic wardens are already in place through the hospital to keep traffic flowing, but there's nothing really to entice staff to take transit to work. Granted, many of Sunnybrook staff do commute from outside the city, some coming from as far away as Guelph, from what I've heard, but if there's a way to get the people onto transit who live in Toronto, I believe the staff would be receptive to it. 

3 minutes ago, MorningsideExpress said:

I'd be curious to see if it would catch on with Sunnybrook Staff and patients in order to reduce congestion on the hospital property. Traffic wardens are already in place through the hospital to keep traffic flowing, but there's nothing really to entice staff to take transit to work. Granted, many of Sunnybrook staff do commute from outside the city, some coming from as far away as Guelph, from what I've heard, but if there's a way to get the people onto transit who live in Toronto, I believe the staff would be receptive to it. There's also private shuttles that operate to Finch Station, Woman's College and Holland Centre which seem to draw a fair ridership. So maybe there's an opportunity to expand that network.  EDIT.

11 minutes ago, MorningsideExpress said:

I'd be curious to see if it would catch on with Sunnybrook Staff and patients in order to reduce congestion on the hospital property. Traffic wardens are already in place through the hospital to keep traffic flowing, but there's nothing really to entice staff to take transit to work. Granted, many of Sunnybrook staff do commute from outside the city, some coming from as far away as Guelph, from what I've heard, but if there's a way to get the people onto transit who live in Toronto, I believe the staff would be receptive to it. 

TTC opt for merging the 58 into 52 which gave the service between 2 stations more service but it’s highly unreliable. It would be nice to see more reliable service. Clearly TTC doesn’t know how to provide that.

11 hours ago, TransitMotorcoach said:

If you think I should resign or be fired, I invite you to replace me afterwards. Let's see if you would even get through training, let alone be able to hold up once you are thrown to the wolves after day 25. I guarantee you, you will not be spewing the same ish once you are on the other side.

No need to make up any problem, when I see them right in front of myself anytime I am on duty. 

actually i won't replace you.  I have been with the commission 12 years.  i pay my dues with 34 on weekends when i first started. 30 minutes one way to or from Eglinton station to Kennedy station. I did my best and the supervisors turn me to fix me whenever needed.  if you think the job at commission is bad, think again.  Have you ever work in a job where the number of hours per week is solely based on how much your boss likes you or your boss changes the work schedule every single week to screw you over?  i have.  hence i left my previous job.

you just have to have positive attitudes.  clearly it is something you lack in that department.

• Thanks 2

So seeing how my views and approaches appear to have gotten a few characters on here very butthurt to the point of questioning my work ethic and fitness for duty simply because I put safety above all else, I decided to ask the JHSC rep at the division about which way to go about things. He actually agreed with the approach I take. The key points of his response:

- Safe operation and defensive driving is the biggest priority of all. If the run schedule is too tight and cannot be kept up with, to hell with it. Just be safe, don't kill yourself,  even if it means driving slower, say doing 40 or 45 in a 50 zone rather than 50 or above. If trips have to be missed,  so be it. If there are only 3 minutes of recovery time left but you need more, just take it. Get out of the seat, use the facilities,  stretch your muscles, eat & drink something. Not worth killing yourself and wearing yourself out in addition to risking an accident just to try and keep up with stupid TTC service planning and the conditions that the TTC manufactures themselves (Which is exactly what I was talking about previously too).

-Him being the JHSC rep, his biggest pet peeve is seeing operators trying to keep up with the unreasonable run times and getting into unnecessary accidents as a result.

-The final key point he made was that as a JHSC rep , his duty and that of the union is to look out for and ensure the well being of the operators,  while the management and supervisors only try to fuck over the operators any way they can.

There you have it. This is what the JHSC rep is saying, not just myself. So @Turtle, @T3G, and everyone else who ganged up on me like petty high school bullies and scorned mean girls, enjoy eating your crow.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, TransitMotorcoach said:

So seeing how my views and approaches appear to have gotten a few characters on here very butthurt to the point of questioning my work ethic and fitness for duty simply because I put safety above all else, I decided to ask the JHSC rep at the division about which way to go about things. He actually agreed with the approach I take. The key points of his response:

- Safe operation and defensive driving is the biggest priority of all. If the run schedule is too tight and cannot be kept up with, to hell with it. Just be safe, don't kill yourself,  even if it means driving slower, say doing 40 or 45 in a 50 zone rather than 50 or above. If trips have to be missed,  so be it. If there are only 3 minutes of recovery time left but you need more, just take it. Get out of the seat, use the facilities,  stretch your muscles, eat & drink something. Not worth killing yourself and wearing yourself out in addition to risking an accident just to try and keep up with stupid TTC service planning and the conditions that the TTC manufactures themselves (Which is exactly what I was talking about previously too).

-Him being the JHSC rep, his biggest pet peeve is seeing operators trying to keep up with the unreasonable run times and getting into unnecessary accidents as a result.

-The final key point he made was that as a JHSC rep , his duty and that of the union is to look out for and ensure the well being of the operators,  while the management and supervisors only try to fuck over the operators any way they can.

There you have it. This is what the JHSC rep is saying, not just myself. So @Turtle, @T3G, and everyone else who ganged up on me like petty high school bullies and scorned mean girls, enjoy eating your crow.

I've seen too many times ops trying to show off, and keep up with schedules just to get into an accident, and get suspended, or in the grievance process about to be terminated. Which actually hurts the union membership more, because most accidents are truly preventable and avoidable, and it cost the union money. Then these same ops complain that their union dues are going up and don't see it working for them in a productive manner.

Only thing you have to be careful about is how you talk to mgmt. Even if you have a good point, how you articulate something, tone of voice , body language, use of words, etc, can be used against you. I'm not saying your doing anything wrong, but a lot of ops do get frustrated and rightfully so, and end up losing a good point because of it. 

My advice to you is to simply write reports, and have a paper trail on scheduling affecting your duties. So if something does happen , you have documentation to show. 

Even in subway there was a time when you could use the high rate key, and transit control wouldn't bother you. But now, you use it, easily disaplined. The culture at TTC has definitely changed a lot. In a lot of ways their simply protecting themselves, at the cost of operators from liability.

Once you more aware of how this place works and navigating through the BS, you can use it to your benefit. The stress you are getting from this job can be gold for the next operator with experience , and knowing how to take advantage and benefit from it will help you. 

Main thing is, don't let this place get to you. I love the BS of TTC , it has its issues that needs to be fixed, but believe me, you can use it to your advantage once you get the right knowledge. The incompetence of TTC can help you in ways you wouldn't believe, if you talk to the right person, you'll see what I mean. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, FlyerD901 said:

I've seen too many times ops trying to show off, and keep up with schedules just to get into an accident, and get suspended, or in the grievance process about to be terminated. Which actually hurts the union membership more, because most accidents are truly preventable and avoidable, and it cost the union money. Then these same ops complain that their union dues are going up and don't see it working for them in a productive manner.

Only thing you have to be careful about is how you talk to mgmt. Even if you have a good point, how you articulate something, tone of voice , body language, use of words, etc, can be used against you. I'm not saying your doing anything wrong, but a lot of ops do get frustrated and rightfully so, and end up losing a good point because of it. 

My advice to you is to simply write reports, and have a paper trail on scheduling affecting your duties. So if something does happen , you have documentation to show. 

Even in subway there was a time when you could use the high rate key, and transit control wouldn't bother you. But now, you use it, easily disaplined. The culture at TTC has definitely changed a lot. In a lot of ways their simply protecting themselves, at the cost of operators from liability.

Once you more aware of how this place works and navigating through the BS, you can use it to your benefit. The stress you are getting from this job can be gold for the next operator with experience , and knowing how to take advantage and benefit from it will help you. 

Main thing is, don't let this place get to you. I love the BS of TTC , it has its issues that needs to be fixed, but believe me, you can use it to your advantage once you get the right knowledge. The incompetence of TTC can help you in ways you wouldn't believe, if you talk to the right person, you'll see what I mean.

When it comes to interacting with management, I have seen that they will look for any tiny reason to use against an employee, so I just give them the unfiltered truth, and never appear weak. They take advantage of weakness, so having a strong personality is key to dealing with them. I don't get angry or flip out, but I look them cold in the eye and let them know what I truly think in a calculated way.

Something else I always remember, my bus driving roots started with Highway Motorcoaches, and I have a BZ license, which is even higher than the CZ that is the TTC standard. Knowing the license class I possess, I am definitely not going to jeopardize my license knowing the intense training that I successfully completed for the class B license. If one thinks making a right turn in Downtown Toronto with a TTC bus is hard, try it on a 45 foot long Motorcoach. I did it , and I take pride in my ability to drive a Motorcoach and regular city bus safely and defensively, with a commendable safety record too.

6 hours ago, TransitMotorcoach said:

Yes, you always drive according to the road condition but deliberately taking extended breaks such as eating despite you are late is essentially screwing your colleagues.  It is not like you don't know the shift before had.  You get yourself ready by eating before you start your shift.  I remember doing local on don mills, j actually reached the end of the line before the Don mills express.  Why?  Sh spent like 15 minutes eating her lunch at Don mills Station. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, TransitMotorcoach said:

Something else I always remember, my bus driving roots started with Highway Motorcoaches, and I have a BZ license, which is even higher than the CZ that is the TTC standard. Knowing the license class I possess, I am definitely not going to jeopardize my license knowing the intense training that I successfully completed for the class B license. If one thinks making a right turn in Downtown Toronto with a TTC bus is hard, try it on a 45 foot long Motorcoach. I did it , and I take pride in my ability to drive a Motorcoach and regular city bus safely and defensively, with a commendable safety record too.

So did I. You’re not special.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

20 hours ago, TransitMotorcoach said:

Since where did I say that I am not willing to put in the years of service in order to get to sign better work?

You just did when you complained that the senior crabbies take all the good work.

You clearly are mentally insane and absolutely retarded,

That hurts. You are aware of the TTC social media policies right?

making absolutely ridiculous false assumptions that have nothing to do with the topic at hand. Individuals like you and those who back you,

Nobody backs me, I've had plenty of ridiculous arguments and debates with other members of this board. I'm sure I've rubbed a few of the CPTD Wiki people the wrong way a few times. I even mistook one for another and accused him of something someone else said to me years before but never apologized for the mistake (sorry Dan, I can't remember what it was I accused you of saying to me a decade back, but I know I was mistaken). I don't have a cheering section here.

are the reason why this forum is an absolute dumpster fire, and why some rational-minded members no longer wish to even post on here, as hotheads like you are so eager to have bullshit arguments without even acknowledging the valid points the other person is making. 

Sounds familiar. 

6 hours ago, TransitMotorcoach said:

So you mean to say that you're better than everyone else then? You ever watch a semi try to navigate downtown Toronto? You ever watch a semi try to make a turn on a street that has a streetcar row? You ever try to back up a B train? Watch a truck delivering fuel to a gas station and see what they have to do.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, leylandvictory2 said:

Yes, you always drive according to the road condition but deliberately taking extended breaks such as eating despite you are late is essentially screwing your colleagues.  It is not like you don't know the shift before had.  You get yourself ready by eating before you start your shift.  I remember doing local on don mills, j actually reached the end of the line before the Don mills express.  Why?  Sh spent like 15 minutes eating her lunch at Don mills Station. 

She took care of herself. Good for her. 

4 hours ago, Bus_Medic said:

So did I. You’re not special.

I expect such a response from you. 

As to @Turtle, given how it is apparent that you will twist my words and turn any valid point I make against me in a hostile and insulting way, I am done arguing with you. I have a strong personality,  and you are very combative in the way you talk to others, which means that we will always clash. No matter what you or any of your supporters on here who give likes to your posts against me say, you will not change my mind, and I won't change yours. It is better we just agree to disagree,  and keep it moving without being combative. And btw, I never complained that the senior ops get all the good work. I stated that given how they get all the good work, my choices at sign-up are rather limited and not the greatest. Try to fully comprehend what you are reading before you make a response.

If the JHSC believes I am doing the right thing, that is good enough for me. 

15 hours ago, Xtrazsteve said:

TTC opt for merging the 58 into 52 which gave the service between 2 stations more service but it’s highly unreliable. It would be nice to see more reliable service. Clearly TTC doesn’t know how to provide that.

At minimum, I'd like to see 4-8 trips a day in each direction from Lawrence West, catering specifically to TFS, Glendon Students and Sunnybrook and reduce route 124 to every 30 minutes all day, or combine it with the 162.