Jump to content

Miscellaneous TTC Discussion & Questions


Orion V

Recommended Posts

My takeaway from this conversation is: the TTC has service standards to be ignored in the first place??? You wouldn't know that from actually having to use the service. Do whatever you want might as well be the official company motto.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Turtle said:

You never worry about wasting someone else's time? Your only concern is yourself? You're in the wrong job.

The only ones wasting other people's time are the management and service planners, by not allocating enough resources to cover the demand, in addition to creating run schedules that are impossible to stick to, and quite abusive on the operators who operate those runs. That is why I only care about maintaining my safety record, my own well-being, and getting everyone I get safely from A to B. Whether the passengers are inconvenienced or think their time is wasted, they need to take it up with head office for actually creating the conditions that produce bad service. 

 

As far as you stating that I am in the wrong job, actually, it is more like I am in the wrong transit agency. 

2 hours ago, nfitz said:

One of the problems  with TTC is that operators who don't care even a bit about service guidelines are not fired.

Even if I get fired for bad service, so long as my safety record is clean, I know I will be able to get a driving job elsewhere. Knowing the TTC management and the witchhunts they routinely have in order to fire operators for anything, I have already mentally prepared myself for such a scenario too. It doesn't bother me one bit. One of those things that happens when you work in an organization where the toxic workplace culture creates this type of mindset in their employees. 

 

1 hour ago, T3G said:

My takeaway from this conversation is: the TTC has service standards to be ignored in the first place??? You wouldn't know that from actually having to use the service. Do whatever you want might as well be the official company motto.

Very unrealistic service standards once you are actually operating it. Speaking from experience of operating multiple routes and runs, from two different divisions as well.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, T3G said:

My takeaway from this conversation is: the TTC has service standards to be ignored in the first place??? You wouldn't know that from actually having to use the service. Do whatever you want might as well be the official company motto.

Yes, it's frustrating to be one of those people who make an effort to operate safely and efficiently, and accommodate people who are running for an on time vehicle when it is reasonable or safe to wait. You pull into an end station, and the bus ahead of you is playing games by hiding out somewhere taking the "layover" they think they are entitled to, and you being a conscientious person takes the platform and picks up the double headway of annoyed customers which one of them always has to make it known to you (you who is just trying to do their job and be a decent employee) that they are pissed they were waiting 20 minutes for a bus that is supposed to arrive every 10.

 

And then that selfish goof of a useless narcissist operator decides to whine and bitch about how the commission is mistreating them to anybody who will listen at the division. Just do your job, stfu, and be thankful you are making so much for sitting on your ass all day.

5 minutes ago, TransitMotorcoach said:

As far as you stating that I am in the wrong job, actually, it is more like I am in the wrong transit agency.

Maybe you should apply for a job with another transit agency then. Those GO bus drivers seem to have it pretty sweet as long as they can keep schedule and make the connections with the GO Trains

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Turtle said:

Yes, it's frustrating to be one of those people who make an effort to operate safely and efficiently, and accommodate people who are running for an on time vehicle when it is reasonable or safe to wait. You pull into an end station, and the bus ahead of you is playing games by hiding out somewhere taking the "layover" they think they are entitled to, and you being a conscientious person takes the platform and picks up the double headway of annoyed customers which one of them always has to make it known to you (who is just trying to do their job and be a decent employee) that they are pissed they were waiting 20 minutes for a bus that is supposed to arrive every 10.

 

And then that selfish goof decides to whine and bitch about how the commission is mistreating them to anybody who will listen at the division. Just do your job, stfu, and be thankful you are making so much for sitting on your ass all day.

By telling operators such things even when it is obvious that the conditions created by management create bad service, you would be such a great fit for a divisional manager position. One of the current assistant managers at Birchmount has the same type of thinking as you too. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, TransitMotorcoach said:

By telling operators such things even when it is obvious that the conditions created by management create bad service, you would be such a great fit for a divisional manager position. One of the current assistant managers at Birchmount has the same type of thinking as you too. 

What? You mean "the other drivers don't seem to be having trouble keeping up while operating safely, what is your problem?" attitude???

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, Turtle said:

What? You mean "the other drivers don't seem to be having trouble keeping up while operating safely, what is your problem?" attitude???

My problem is those who think like you. If you want to destroy yourself trying to keep up with a run schedule that is unrealistic,  unreasonable,  and downright abusive, be my guest. But I am not going to kill myself trying to keep up the pace. At the end of the day, I would make it back in one piece with no collision, while you would be more likely to get into a crash trying to keep up to the run time. I have driven buses for 4 years now. The fact I have not had a preventable accident shows that my system works.

 

As far as passengers ranting if my bus is late, my standard response is: "This is Toronto. Everybody is late".

 

Like I said in the other post, you would make a great fit for divisional manager with your type of thinking. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, TransitMotorcoach said:

The only ones wasting other people's time are the management and service planners, by not allocating enough resources to cover the demand, in addition to creating run schedules that are impossible to stick to, and quite abusive on the operators who operate those runs.

I'd think one would get fired even quicker somewhere else, as they all seem to enforce and take service guidelines much more seriously than TTC.

Sure, there's major issues, and driver's need to pee and grab something to drink. But to actually not care a single bit about service guidelines? Absolutely despicable.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, nfitz said:

I'd think one would get fired even quicker somewhere else, as they all seem to enforce and take service guidelines much more seriously than TTC.

Sure, there's major issues, and driver's need to pee and grab something to drink. But to actually not care a single bit about service guidelines? Absolutely despicable.

This is what happens in a toxic workplace culture like the TTC. It has been like this for the longest time, and it will not change. Once a new recruit passes the final TTC driving test, and is thrown in the ring, it is only a matter of time before his or her view and morale is altered. In order to make a change, the whole organization needs to be demolished and rebuilt from scratch. The poison has become so embedded in the fabric and core structure of the TTC,  nothing will fix it short of actual demolition. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, TransitMotorcoach said:

In order to make a change, the whole organization needs to be demolished and rebuilt from scratch. The poison has become so embedded in the fabric and core structure of the TTC,  nothing will fix it short of actual demolition. 

or you could quit and go work somewhere else that is a better fit.

 

or if you want to make a change, apply for a different job within the commission where you would have the capability of effecting positive change. Just because you can't adjust to the work environment doesn't mean it is a negative or poisonous place. What makes it negative is the operators who aren't willing to carry their weight. Those ops work harder at finding ways to get out of work than it would be to just actually do their jobs, because it's usually those operators that can be found whining about everything at the division.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Turtle said:

or you could quit and go work somewhere else that is a better fit.

 

or if you want to make a change, apply for a different job within the commission where you would have the capability of effecting positive change. Just because you can't adjust to the work environment doesn't mean it is a negative or poisonous place. What makes it negative is the operators who aren't willing to carry their weight. Those ops work harder at finding ways to get out of work than it would be to just actually do their jobs, because it's usually those operators that can be found whining about everything at the division.

It is very naive to think that an internal transfer would enable someone to effect change at an organization like the TTC, which has a toxic work culture permanently embedded into its' core structure and fabric. Those operators who are not willing to carry the weight according to you? They are a symptom of a much larger root problem of a very poisoned and rotten work environment, which ultimately will get to anyone that comes in contact with it. As far as I can see, this is a purely TTC-specific issue, as I do not see other transit agencies in the GTA having this problem. You want to hound on just the operators for "playing games" , ignoring the fact that the TTC management and service planners create the conditions which push a lot of operators to play those games. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, TransitMotorcoach said:

It is very naive to think that an internal transfer would enable someone to effect change at an organization like the TTC, which has a toxic work culture permanently embedded into its' core structure and fabric. Those operators who are not willing to carry the weight according to you? They are a symptom of a much larger root problem of a very poisoned and rotten work environment, which ultimately will get to anyone that comes in contact with it. As far as I can see, this is a purely TTC-specific issue, as I do not see other transit agencies in the GTA having this problem. You want to hound on just the operators for "playing games" , ignoring the fact that the TTC management and service planners create the conditions which push a lot of operators to play those games. 

You haven’t been looking very hard then.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

31 minutes ago, Bus_Medic said:

You haven’t been looking very hard then.

I remember a few months ago, even you stated yourself that there is no getting away from the rotten malaise that has spread across the TTC, no matter which department I choose to transfer to internally. 

 

To put it this way, the TTC in its' current state, it is like a terminally-ill patient, artificially being kept alive by all sorts of "medicine" that do nothing to address the issues, but instead prolong the suffering. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, TransitMotorcoach said:

It is very naive to think that an internal transfer would enable someone to effect change at an organization like the TTC, which has a toxic work culture permanently embedded into its' core structure and fabric. Those operators who are not willing to carry the weight according to you? They are a symptom of a much larger root problem of a very poisoned and rotten work environment, which ultimately will get to anyone that comes in contact with it. As far as I can see, this is a purely TTC-specific issue, as I do not see other transit agencies in the GTA having this problem. You want to hound on just the operators for "playing games" , ignoring the fact that the TTC management and service planners create the conditions which push a lot of operators to play those games. 

Leary also admitted today in the board meeting that the schedules didn't match actual travel times and traffic conditions. 

TTC themselves know this. That's why you haven't been fired as some on here would like to see happen. That's why your crew guides tell you that driving safe overrides any posted schedule.

Just drive safe. Even being "efficient" can be too vague and get you in trouble. TTC tells you to drive safe, not efficient. Drive safe and protect your license. A lot of ppl quit TTC for the issues that you brought up. Ppl on this board have quit TTC because they couldn't handle it. Many on here wouldn't do your job. 

Nothing wrong with identifying issues, it's not being negative, but a way of addressing something that hopefully can be improved. I think a lot of times, by calling TTC out, ppl assume your being negative , but really it's just highlighting issues. TTC acknowledged the issues you mentioned. But hasn't made a lot of changes for whatever reason. Lack of resources, funding , etc.

A lot of mangers and supervisor  get credit where they allow you to do headways. Which even the customers get use to, and ends up making the service more reliable. And a better relationship with the customers. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, TransitMotorcoach said:

I remember a few months ago, even you stated yourself that there is no getting away from the rotten malaise that has spread across the TTC, no matter which department I choose to transfer to internally. 

 

To put it this way, the TTC in its' current state, it is like a terminally-ill patient, artificially being kept alive by all sorts of "medicine" that do nothing to address the issues, but instead prolong the suffering. 

I meant about low morale at other properties, or your perceived lack therof.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

33 minutes ago, Bus_Medic said:

I meant about low morale at other properties, or your perceived lack therof.

Even though you work in bus maintenance, where you have no direct contact or interaction with the public, I can definitely tell that the toxic TTC culture has gotten to you and affected you as well. This is not even to take a jab at you, it is a fair and reasonable observation of how anyone that ventures into planet TTC past the fortress gates will not come out of there the same. Myself included. I will admit that my thinking and views are now drastically different compared to when I began training in July of 2022. Once you discover the reality of the nasty and rotten TTC gargoyle staring you right in the face after completing training, it will change your perspective forever. Especially in bus and streetcar operations. 

 

1 hour ago, FlyerD901 said:

Leary also admitted today in the board meeting that the schedules didn't match actual travel times and traffic conditions. 

TTC themselves know this. That's why you haven't been fired as some on here would like to see happen. That's why your crew guides tell you that driving safe overrides any posted schedule.

Just drive safe. Even being "efficient" can be too vague and get you in trouble. TTC tells you to drive safe, not efficient. Drive safe and protect your license. A lot of ppl quit TTC for the issues that you brought up. Ppl on this board have quit TTC because they couldn't handle it. Many on here wouldn't do your job. 

Nothing wrong with identifying issues, it's not being negative, but a way of addressing something that hopefully can be improved. I think a lot of times, by calling TTC out, ppl assume your being negative , but really it's just highlighting issues. TTC acknowledged the issues you mentioned. But hasn't made a lot of changes for whatever reason. Lack of resources, funding , etc.

The even crazier part, those issues have been known for years, yet to this day, nothing has been done to address them. For example, 123 Sherway on weekends. The management has known for years that the run times on this route on weekends (and even evenings on weekdays) are not enough,  in addition to the route being super busy, resulting in constant delays, unreliable service,  and operators getting worn out. Still, nothing has been done, and some of the route supervisors monitoring the route have had the nerve to harass the operators on the route for not being able to stay on schedule, giving nasty attitudes as well. Which as a result creates a much lower morale and an even further drop in service quality.

 

As far as some members on here wishing I was fired, even if I was, at this point, knowing the nasty reality of the TTC management and the inept useless union, it would not even surprise me. I have mentally prepared myself for such a scenario, so the moment it happens, it would not be a devastating shock. The last time I was called into the office and got a warning letter for a service infraction, it did not bother me, not to mention I was not even apologetic either, and let the manager know right to her face that I thought she and the rest of the TTC management were full of shit.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 hours ago, TransitMotorcoach said:

The even crazier part, those issues have been known for years, yet to this day, nothing has been done to address them.

Yes, you've done nothing in the past 4 years to fix the problem you have with them. With your seniority, you could sign easier work, but you choose not to. You could look at the "green sheets" for a better job, but you don't. You could apply for a job with Mississauga Transit, those drivers seem to be the happiest and most helpful transit operators I've had the pleasure of running across in the GTA, but you are here bitching about the people who sign your paycheck. 

 

Sign a RAD bus, they don't have a schedule to keep. You already spend 1/3 of your day parked against the wall doing nothing, might as well make it official. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Turtle said:

Yes, you've done nothing in the past 4 years to fix the problem you have with them. With your seniority, you could sign easier work, but you choose not to. You could look at the "green sheets" for a better job, but you don't. You could apply for a job with Mississauga Transit, those drivers seem to be the happiest and most helpful transit operators I've had the pleasure of running across in the GTA, but you are here bitching about the people who sign your paycheck. 

 

Sign a RAD bus, they don't have a schedule to keep. You already spend 1/3 of your day parked against the wall doing nothing, might as well make it official. 

Before you come at me with that kind of a bullshit response, get your facts straight first. My 4 years of bus driving experience is a combo of Coach Canada, Miller Transit (YRT South-East), and TTC. My seniority at the TTC is just over one year, which means that my choices at sign-up are not the greatest. 600-series RAD bus crews are all taken by the senior operators, in addition to myself not wanting to have any interaction with the imbeciles at Transit Control too. I have applied to NUMEROUS internal postings, but not one response from HR in regards to them (most likely due to nepotism that still exists in the TTC maintenance departments,  with job postings being just there for show). I have recently sent out resumes to other transit agencies, and waiting to hear a response. 

 

No matter how much anyone tries to make a positive change at the TTC, the deep rooted gargoyle on the inside will not budge one bit and will fight back like a demon when a priest, sheikh, or rabbi tries to perform an exorcism against it, always returning after a certain period of time too.

 

People like you truly make me sick.  Rather than acknowledge that there are deep problems within the TTC that head office manufactured themselves,  you would rather blame and shoot the messenger. Typical divisional manager behavior too. You should have considered becoming one. Those scumbags at head office look for those who think like you to fill this position. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, TransitMotorcoach said:

 I have applied to NUMEROUS internal postings, but not one response from HR in regards to them . 

 

 

given your work ethnic and attitude, i am not surprise you didn't get a call for an interview.   Maybe do some personal reflection first before blaming others for your predicament.  

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, TransitMotorcoach said:

Before you come at me with that kind of a bullshit response, get your facts straight first. My 4 years of bus driving experience is a combo of Coach Canada, Miller Transit (YRT South-East), and TTC. My seniority at the TTC is just over one year, which means that my choices at sign-up are not the greatest. 600-series RAD bus crews are all taken by the senior operators, in addition to myself not wanting to have any interaction with the imbeciles at Transit Control too. I have applied to NUMEROUS internal postings, but not one response from HR in regards to them (most likely due to nepotism that still exists in the TTC maintenance departments,  with job postings being just there for show). I have recently sent out resumes to other transit agencies, and waiting to hear a response. 

I call BS on your argument. Just over a year employed at the TTC? Did you miss the part where they said you need to complete 2 years before you can apply to a different position? Even if that has changed or I am mistaken, anything you do performance wise at work is in your file, and could be a reason why you aren't getting called for interviews. Switching employers so frequently is also a bad sign for potential new bosses.

 

Good luck with the other transit agencies. May I suggest giving up on driving a bus and doing Uber? Drive at your own pace, work the hours you want, no boss breathing down your neck.

 

45 minutes ago, leylandvictory2 said:

 

given your work ethnic and attitude, i am not surprise you didn't get a call for an interview.   Maybe do some personal reflection first before blaming others for your predicament.  

For sure, everything someone does while at work follows them around.

 

8 hours ago, TransitMotorcoach said:

People like you truly make me sick.  Rather than acknowledge that there are deep problems within the TTC that head office manufactured themselves,  you would rather blame and shoot the messenger. Typical divisional manager behavior too. You should have considered becoming one. Those scumbags at head office look for those who think like you to fill this position. 

Problems? Every place has problems. 

 

I have to say, and I know you'll disagree, that the TTC is an awesome place to work. A ton of opportunity, great pay, excellent benefits. If you aren't happy driving a bus, I'm sorry about that. You should have probably known what to expect with the work history you have. You definitely should of had a clue if you were listening during the orientations and ride alongs.

 

But now, you're stuck in a job you don't like, and ruining your internal career prospects by being a brat.

 

I would recommend calling up EFAP and asking for assistance with this, or some of your peer supports at the division. You are not the only one to ever experience this, and someone may be able to help you out.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, leylandvictory2 said:

 

given your work ethnic and attitude, i am not surprise you didn't get a call for an interview.   Maybe do some personal reflection first before blaming others for your predicament.  

So just because I point out obvious issues, I have a bad work ethic? That makes no sense whatsoever. 

33 minutes ago, Turtle said:

I call BS on your argument. Just over a year employed at the TTC? Did you miss the part where they said you need to complete 2 years before you can apply to a different position? Even if that has changed or I am mistaken, anything you do performance wise at work is in your file, and could be a reason why you aren't getting called for interviews. Switching employers so frequently is also a bad sign for potential new bosses.

 

Good luck with the other transit agencies. May I suggest giving up on driving a bus and doing Uber? Drive at your own pace, work the hours you want, no boss breathing down your neck.

 

For sure, everything someone does while at work follows them around.

 

Problems? Every place has problems. 

 

I have to say, and I know you'll disagree, that the TTC is an awesome place to work. A ton of opportunity, great pay, excellent benefits. If you aren't happy driving a bus, I'm sorry about that. You should have probably known what to expect with the work history you have. You definitely should of had a clue if you were listening during the orientations and ride alongs.

 

But now, you're stuck in a job you don't like, and ruining your internal career prospects by being a brat.

 

I would recommend calling up EFAP and asking for assistance with this, or some of your peer supports at the division. You are not the only one to ever experience this, and someone may be able to help you out.

The only one being a brat is you, by ranting and hollering how others don't do things according to your ridiculous expectations. Not just a brat, but an obnoxious and annoying Karen as well. All I did was point out obvious issues at the TTC and how deep rooted they are. You just don't like hearing things that don't go along with your ridiculous narrow-minded narrative. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, TransitMotorcoach said:

So just because I point out obvious issues, I have a bad work ethic? That makes no sense whatsoever. 

No, you admitted to and even bragged about having bad work ethic. Treating recovery time like it is layover time. Purposely driving slow so you can lose trips. Having a tantrum in the bosses office when they call you on your BS. Whining to whoever in the division will listen about how bad it is to be employed in a place that pays you $38/hour to sit on your ass all day. Can't list them all, I haven't really been keeping track, those are just the ones that I can recall quickly.

 

15 minutes ago, TransitMotorcoach said:

The only one being a brat is you, by ranting and hollering how others don't do things according to your ridiculous expectations. Not just a brat, but an obnoxious and annoying Karen as well. All I did was point out obvious issues at the TTC and how deep rooted they are. You just don't like hearing things that don't go along with your ridiculous narrow-minded narrative. 

What expectations? I have a bit of a chip on my shoulder seeing spoiled brats cheat the system when they should be otherwise thankful to be employed in such a great place. It's so great there that they are managing to forgive your poor performance for the most part. You won the job lottery, you have a job for life with potential to be promoted up high enough to whine directly to the CEOs office without much effort other than being polite and cooperative. Of course, you would need to have some interpersonal skills to get promoted that high. 

 

Narrow minded? You spent 1 year employed there and you already made up your mind? What happened at the YRT that made you leave? Let me guess, the place was corrupt and full of nepotism?

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Turtle said:

No, you admitted to and even bragged about having bad work ethic. Treating recovery time like it is layover time. Purposely driving slow so you can lose trips. Having a tantrum in the bosses office when they call you on your BS. Whining to whoever in the division will listen about how bad it is to be employed in a place that pays you $38/hour to sit on your ass all day. Can't list them all, I haven't really been keeping track, those are just the ones that I can recall quickly.

 

What expectations? I have a bit of a chip on my shoulder seeing spoiled brats cheat the system when they should be otherwise thankful to be employed in such a great place. It's so great there that they are managing to forgive your poor performance for the most part. You won the job lottery, you have a job for life with potential to be promoted up high enough to whine directly to the CEOs office without much effort other than being polite and cooperative. Of course, you would need to have some interpersonal skills to get promoted that high. 

 

Narrow minded? You spent 1 year employed there and you already made up your mind? What happened at the YRT that made you leave? Let me guess, the place was corrupt and full of nepotism?

The only reason why I left YRT is because it contracts out operations and there is no long term job stability. If it was in-house, I would have stayed there for sure.

 

In regards to my work ethic being criticized like this, at the end of the day, my driving record is way better than yours, guaranteed. You call it cheating the system, I call it being safety-conscious and not unnecessarily wearing myself out. This is why I have not had a preventable accident to this day, while you have a laundry list of them.

 

And guess what, even if I was fired or left the TTC, the toxic and poisoned work culture and environment that fosters what you call "playing games" will still continue to exist. Rather than shooting the messenger for exhibiting symptoms, go for the big fish that are the root cause of these issues.

 

In addition, seeing this gang-up on me just for being a safety-conscious individual, even if it means missing trips by driving slower (which is possible to do on a route that is timed way too tight and not long in distance) or taking 5 minutes of layover at the end even if technically 2 are left, it goes to show what is truly wrong as a collective with the North American customer service culture. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...