Jump to content

Miscellaneous TTC Discussion & Questions


Orion V

Recommended Posts

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/ttc-service-improvements-fall-1.6950083

I am wondering if there are some miscommunications between the City Hall and the TTC. 

There have been 2 service adjustment period after that announcement and there were still a lot of routes which had it's service reduced..

Maybe Rick fxxxin Leary is saying hard no on Chow's plan?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

55 minutes ago, raptorjays said:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/ttc-service-improvements-fall-1.6950083

I am wondering if there are some miscommunications between the City Hall and the TTC. 

There have been 2 service adjustment period after that announcement and there were still a lot of routes which had it's service reduced..

Maybe Rick fxxxin Leary is saying hard no on Chow's plan?

Are those downtown express routes ever coming back?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Shaun said:

Are those downtown express routes ever coming back?

I don't think it is very likely considering the limited demand plus double fare. Downtown Express routes have been suspended for over 3 years and counting, you would think that they would make a formal announcement saying "the downtown express routes will no longer be coming back after careful consideration."

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, GTAmissions1 said:

I don't think it is very likely considering the limited demand plus double fare. Downtown Express routes have been suspended for over 3 years and counting, you would think that they would make a formal announcement saying "the downtown express routes will no longer be coming back after careful consideration."

TTC doesn’t want that. It’s politics that keeps them from making such announcements. They are definitely not coming back with such poor downtown office rider demands

Also. They are restoring 99% of the bus service. Not subway nor streetcars. Just regular bus service. It says that in the news. So it does not include line 2. Leary didn’t actually lied. It just hides the truth. He also hides the fact that many routes received service adjustments with wider headways that had become the norm. So the restored service is less than what ran before 2020.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, raptorjays said:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/ttc-service-improvements-fall-1.6950083

I am wondering if there are some miscommunications between the City Hall and the TTC. 

There have been 2 service adjustment period after that announcement and there were still a lot of routes which had it's service reduced..

Maybe Rick fxxxin Leary is saying hard no on Chow's plan?

I am surprised there were new service cuts on streetcar services.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have 2 questions. 

When I saw T1 #5166 / #5167 today on the opposite side of me (as I was going EB), and I wanted to plan on catching it, and I have been trying to track it for the longest time. 

Anyways, my two questions are this:

Does anyone know if there is a Specific Subway Car tracker I could use? 

Does #5166 / #5167 still have the old Door Chimes, or were they retrofitted?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, The Squishy Bus said:

I have 2 questions. 

When I saw T1 #5166 / #5167 today on the opposite side of me (as I was going EB), and I wanted to plan on catching it, and I have been trying to track it for the longest time. 

Anyways, my two questions are this:

Does anyone know if there is a Specific Subway Car tracker I could use?

The TTC has internal methods of tracking individual subway cars and their locations, but they do not make those methods available to the public. So no, there are none.

 

Dan

Edited by smallspy
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, The Squishy Bus said:

I have 2 questions. 

When I saw T1 #5166 / #5167 today on the opposite side of me (as I was going EB), and I wanted to plan on catching it, and I have been trying to track it for the longest time. 

Anyways, my two questions are this:

Does anyone know if there is a Specific Subway Car tracker I could use? 

Does #5166 / #5167 still have the old Door Chimes, or were they retrofitted?

transsee used to at least display run numbers for subway trains (though not subway car numbers), so the best you could do was take note of when X subway car was spotted at Y station, and immediately look up that station on transsee to get the run number of that train, and then keep track of that particular run. Of course, run numbers could sometimes change at terminals, so it didn't work every time, but it was still more helpful than nothing (I have no idea why, but transsee stopped showing run numbers for subways). Frankly I don't see why they can't allow the public to track subway car numbers when all other modes (buses & trams) are trackable by vehicle number.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, Cityflyer said:

Did Nova stopped delivering new buses temporarily while New Flyer is continuing en masse or just that nobody goes by Wilson and/or notices new Nova deliveries?

No one is reporting those here.

However there are significantly more Flyers in service than Novas right now if you compare the two batches.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

Question regarding Peter Witt charter/tourtram operations in the 1970s and 1980s, does anyone know if they ever were operated during the winter month? I'm particularly curious if the old coal stoves ever got fired up, are they even still operational on the Witts at Halton County or the TTC? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/27/2023 at 9:15 AM, Jeffrey said:

Question regarding Peter Witt charter/tourtram operations in the 1970s and 1980s, does anyone know if they ever were operated during the winter month? I'm particularly curious if the old coal stoves ever got fired up, are they even still operational on the Witts at Halton County or the TTC? 

The tour trams weren't out over winter.

As far as I know, only the trailers kept their coal stoves in service prior to Yonge opening. I'm not sure if any of those stoves are still around, maybe in a trailer sitting somewhere?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Ed T. said:

The tour trams weren't out over winter.

As far as I know, only the trailers kept their coal stoves in service prior to Yonge opening. I'm not sure if any of those stoves are still around, maybe in a trailer sitting somewhere?

Closest analog would probably be the stove in civic railway’s car 55, and it’s just for cosmetics after restoration.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...

Given that all the new 7xxx hybrids have aluminum (aluminium) wheels, and some of the battery buses do as well (maybe all, I haven't looked), I imagine that either there are spare wheels being ordered as well, or steel wheels already on hand will be installed, one or the other.

This suggests that some of the older buses might get aluminium wheels.

Unless the tire specs on the new hybrids are different from specs on older buses, which does seem unlikely to me.

I wonder if anyone has yet seen a new hybrid with steel wheels, or an older bus with aluminium? A 7900 with aluminium wheels would look so sharp, you could not retire it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Ed T. said:

Given that all the new 7xxx hybrids have aluminum (aluminium) wheels, and some of the battery buses do as well (maybe all, I haven't looked), I imagine that either there are spare wheels being ordered as well, or steel wheels already on hand will be installed, one or the other.

This suggests that some of the older buses might get aluminium wheels.

Unless the tire specs on the new hybrids are different from specs on older buses, which does seem unlikely to me.

I wonder if anyone has yet seen a new hybrid with steel wheels, or an older bus with aluminium? A 7900 with aluminium wheels would look so sharp, you could not retire it.

There are at least two distinct stockpiles of rims. 

historically, even though they looked identical at a glance, there were several steel rim types in circulation with the high floor units as well that were not interchangeable.

in order to retrofit an exiting unit to aluminum rims, all the wheel studs would have to be replaced for longer ones to accommodate the thicker cross section. Could happen someday, but there are no plans on the horizon to do so.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, Ed T. said:

Would there be something preventing steel rims from going on a bus in place of aluminum? I assume the studs are threaded far enough to do this.

Aside from internal policy there shouldn’t be.

the flyers and Proterra’s at least use a European style capped nut. There’s a maximum depth they can be threaded. I don’t know if the 7000s are the same.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

This warden station construction situation is a disaster. There is nothing on the website indicating that the passenger Pickup is closed and that you are supposed to use the main entrance. They could have at least built a path to the parking lot instead of making people walk from the main entrance. 

No communication as per usual. Obviously they dont care about their passengers. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, bus_7246 said:

The Proterras require a thicker aluminum rim on the front axle to compensate for the additional weight

 this was similar to the lift equipped Vs. They required a thicker steel rim for the weight of the lift 

All of the aluminum rims are the same. No difference between the front and rear of the Proterras.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 hours ago, BusFanForever said:

All of the aluminum rims are the same. No difference between the front and rear of the Proterras.

Check the next time you’re in. 3731 has been on hold with a tag against the current tires on the front. The supposed front tires are supposed to be of a wider profile than the regular tires that go on the rear axle 

 

Edit: the front tires for the Proterra 315/80 R 22.5. The rear tires are 305/70 R 22.5

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Random question I had, hoping this is the best place to ask. I was curious thinking of this the other day based on other discussions around crew sign ups…

Let’s say you are an operator who is currently on the overnight shift. You have a 9pm-5am shift for this current board period. Next board period, you are lucky enough to move on up and work while the sun is up and now you sign up for a daytime run. Would it be possible for your new shift start to at, say, 7am on Sunday mornings? If so, what happens to for that first day of the board period? Seeing as you worked from Saturday 9pm-Sunday morning 5am, what happens at 7am Sunday? I’m sure there are restrictions in rest time that would make that impossible. Do you just get a “free” day off and the Sunday morning shift is covered by a spare board/RAD? 

from my understanding on previous discussions on crew sign ups, it’s strictly seniority based. So that example could be a possibility. But maybe there’s restrictions in place to what an op can sign up for (I.e. if you’re doing an overnight run, you can’t sign up next board for a morning run and can only sign up for a late afternoon one) 
 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...