Streetcar News

CLRV4037

The hill on Bathurst is the problem. If an ALRV breaks down and needs to be coupled and brought down or pushed up, however the situation may be, during certain types of weather this can be quite difficult.

More specifically, the TTC has this requirement that a vehicle can be pushed up a grade by a like vehicle. A CLRV can push a disabled CLRV up the hill, but in certain circumstances an ALRV can not push another ALRV up the hill. That's also part of the reason why they don't like to use ALRV's on Harbourfront.

Didn't TTC build this with longer LRTs in mind?

Yes, they did. They will be capable of pushing another LRV up the hill.

Dan

The 2 PCC will be operating on St Clair from St Clair W Station to Lansdowne Loop on Sat from 11 am to 4 pm.

One car will have a historian on it and a choir on the other.

Posters in the shelters and a banner on the cars

I was trying to get the Peter Witt leading follow by the 2 PCC's and then 4000, 4001 as the first 2 CLRV's built. Then follow by 4010, 4011, the first 2 built here with 4200 bring up the rear. An LRT on the rear of the 4200 would be even better.

No a good time of the year for the Witt and all this may happen at the Official opening in May 2010.

This Saturday the 19th or Saturday the 26th?

The 2 PCC will be operating on St Clair from St Clair W Station to Lansdowne Loop on Sat from 11 am to 4 pm.

One car will have a historian on it and a choir on the other.

Posters in the shelters and a banner on the cars

I was trying to get the Peter Witt leading follow by the 2 PCC's and then 4000, 4001 as the first 2 CLRV's built. Then follow by 4010, 4011, the first 2 built here with 4200 bring up the rear. An LRT on the rear of the 4200 would be even better.

No a good time of the year for the Witt and all this may happen at the Official opening in May 2010.

What's this for again? Just a christmas thing?

thanks for the heads up

What's this for again? Just a christmas thing?

thanks for the heads up

Partial-reopening of the line. And it is this coming Saturday, with regular service beginning around 5am on Sunday.

Here's a map that was posted on skyscrapercity that shows the possible future streetcar routes that would serve the West Don Lands/Waterfront East (post 22)

Some of the new routes:

513 Bathurst East

514 King to Comissioner

515 Waterfront

517 Unwin

524 Broadview

565 Castle Frank

566 Lake Shore Expressway

567 West Don

I don't get it - what's the point of posting this here? I can draw lines on a map too, but I don't go around linking it to every forum that I'm a member of.

Dan

This Saturday the 19th or Saturday the 26th?

The 19th so to give the business a preview that the Streetcars are returning 20th. Also to take the heat off TTC and to head off a few lawsuits.

No notices up at any of the stops telling riders the streetcar are on the rails again starting the 20th.

Was told by the overhead crew no more testing taking place this week.

Came upon the laundromat over by Northcliffe today that had notices on the update of service starting on the 20th sitting on the table that the same as the website. There are supposed to be posters place along the route advising of the Sat event and they may show up on Wed.

The Bathurst St Dupont bridge underpass will be single lane going south in the southbound lane and 2 lanes going north starting sometime Friday. Construction is still taking place building the new retailing wall on the west side with 2 steel columns holding up one of the bridges. I hope they fill in that missing section of the road at Dupont cause by the hydro vault to allow 2 lanes going north let alone one lane. Otherwise it will remain as is with traffic going to 2 lanes after that bend.

Dufferin Construction is going to swing eastbound traffic to the ROW at Keele St Wed, with the westbound traffic using the new lane that was been pour today. The eastbound lane will be tore up and rebuilt that was supposed to be done a week ago.

It will be going to interested to see the 41's make that sharp turn with the platform there now off Old Weston Rd onto that new lane. You can see the tire marks on the sidewalk now when they had to make that turn before the platform was there.

All the tracks are in place and ready to be use up to the east side of Gunns Rd. All the light post are in place as well the poles to support the overhead where there is no centre poles. The north side between the bridge and Keele still has to be done as there is no sidewalk there now, nor the curb itself.

Dufferin is planning to shut down this weekend for the Christmas holidays if things go as plan. The standard construction shut down for the 2 weeks.

They will start up in the new year tearing up parts of the north side sidewalk between Keele and Gunns to put in the Opps!! on the city part driveways into the new plaza on the north side.

From what was been said, May opening of the line may not happen as plan.

If a Flexity Downtown can push another up Bathurst, does that mean we might see 511 extended to St. Clair?

I think the TTC's looked at it before, but if the 511 goes up to St. Clair West that means the 7 ends there. They decided it would be more beneficial for the 7 to connect with the EW Bloor-Danforth than with the NS Spadina line.

I think the TTC's looked at it before, but if the 511 goes up to St. Clair West that means the 7 ends there. They decided it would be more beneficial for the 7 to connect with the EW Bloor-Danforth than with the NS Spadina line.

They could still connect with the BD line as there is still track from the north that interact with Bathurst Stn. They could loop in then continue on their way after servicing the station. But I'm not sure if it'll work smoothly with the extra streetcar (and bus) traffic at St.Clair West.

They will start up in the new year tearing up parts of the north side sidewalk between Keele and Gunns to put in the Opps!! on the city part driveways into the new plaza on the north side.

Is that what there building now on the north side of St Clair from Weston to Gunns? I was thinking they wondering what they were planning on building there when I saw the demolition of that industrial building.

They could still connect with the BD line as there is still track from the north that interact with Bathurst Stn. They could loop in then continue on their way after servicing the station. But I'm not sure if it'll work smoothly with the extra streetcar (and bus) traffic at St.Clair West.

Your not unterstanding what YRTeen said. Rider on 7 would rather transfer to the subway at Bathurst instead of St Clair West. If you stop 7 at St Clair West and extend 511 up to there then you would create an extra transfer for those wishing to go down to Bloor St.

Yes, big box stores will likely go on the former Bunge/CanAmera Edable Oils/Swift meat packing facility. A pity, Bunge probably paid their workers much better than Best Buy or FutureShop ever will.

Fun fact: Toronto earned its nickname "Hogtown" because of all the meat industry places in that area of The Junction.

Is that what there building now on the north side of St Clair from Weston to Gunns? I was thinking they wondering what they were planning on building there when I saw the demolition of that industrial building.

Your not unterstanding what YRTeen said. Rider on 7 would rather transfer to the subway at Bathurst instead of St Clair West. If you stop 7 at St Clair West and extend 511 up to there then you would create an extra transfer for those wishing to go down to Bloor St.

Ah, I see. Yes, that makes sense. My mistake.

Yes, big box stores will likely go on the former Bunge/CanAmera Edable Oils/Swift meat packing facility. A pity, Bunge probably paid their workers much better than Best Buy or FutureShop ever will.

Well it definitely won't be a Future Shop, there is one about a block or so west. I could see a Best Buy going up there as they always build Future Shops and Best Buys close by each other, for example in the Warden & Eglinton area as well as Yonge & Dundas and I believe there is at Future Shop at Eglinton & Laird IIRC, there is a Best Buy a bit further down at Wicksteed & Laird.

Fun fact: Toronto earned its nickname "Hogtown" because of all the meat industry places in that area of The Junction.

Interesting to know. I think there are still some meat packing facilities in that area, am I right?

Interesting to know. I think there are still some meat packing facilities in that area, am I right?

There are still a few. One that comes to mind that's still there is St. Helens Meat Packers.

Yes, big box stores will likely go on the former Bunge/CanAmera Edable Oils/Swift meat packing facility.

No they won't, in fact. The district plan for that property (as well as the ones to the north) call for a mixed-use residential and commercial neighbourhood oriented primarily for walking and cycling (and transit), and with multi-story buildings.

If they want a big-box store, they can walk across the street.

Dan

It will be multi level big box. Construction I believe is to start in late spring '10.

I work for the planning consultant who is doing the planning for site.

Canada Packers was the biggie of them all. I remember as a kid them running cattle across St. Clair from the Stockyards.

There are still a few. One that comes to mind that's still there is St. Helens Meat Packers.

Another is Corsetti Meat Packers.