TTC Service Changes

Mike

4 hours ago, blue.bird.fan said:

Is the Earlscourt Loop still in usable condition too? I've noticed that the 47 is still running to Gunns Loop despite the resumption of streetcar service.

Earlscourt Loop is still usable. The only issue is that it is on the access road to driveways. The ‘loop’ could hold 4 buses, but since houses on the west side of Lansdowne Ave have garages at the back of their residences, the driveway off of Lansdowne is not ideal spot to stage buses. Up until Monday, streetcars were still looping at Earlscourt Loop as well

The 900 is currently on diversion during the southbound trips from T3 to Kipling Station, and I must say, the diversionary routing is actually a lot nicer than the regular routing! While it does take more time, it is a lot better than having to do a 4-lane change on the 427. I hope the diversionary routing becomes permanent.

IMG-20230622-WA0014.jpg

47 minutes ago, TransitMotorcoach said:

The 900 is currently on diversion during the southbound trips from T3 to Kipling Station, and I must say, the diversionary routing is actually a lot nicer than the regular routing! While it does take more time, it is a lot better than having to do a 4-lane change on the 427. I hope the diversionary routing becomes permanent.

IMG-20230622-WA0014.jpg

Which is basically a reverse of the old NB route before the buses were equipped with luggage racks 

• Like 1

If this change is permanent it would probably make sense to add one or two stops on Dixon road (at Carlingview maybe), as it's a pretty big employment area and is a long haul from the subway on the Lawrence West bus.

I remember before this route had luggage racks, bags sometimes would go rolling everywhere when the bus made all the rapid lane changes in the 427/401 interchange. Didn't the TTC take this route off the 427 entirely for a bit because of that?

Due to somewhat odd run time on 8/62 and 113/135, buses that are behind on the route will still automatically sign on the other route regardless of where they are. A late 62 bus going east to Victoria Park Station at Dawes Rd automatically flipped to 8 Broadview and announced the next stop as "Broadview Station" then became completely silent and didn't annouce any of the 62 stops when going to VP. When it arrived it still displayed and announced 8 Broadview on the external, driver tried going back to 62 but VISION wasn't letting him, and he changed the sign manually to 62 WEST and it just changed back to 8 Broadview right away. Similar thing happened on 135 a couple days ago where when the 135 bus departed Warden at a time not on the schedule after a hold by TC, it was forced onto 113 Danforth and announced a random 113 stop before becoming completely silent and forcing the op to display 113 on his bus the entire route. I get that it can be buggy in weird circumstances but in no reason it should force to stay on the same route when its manually tried to be changed

On 7/1/2023 at 7:08 PM, Turtle said:

What is the difference between them? The drunk regulars used to urinate on unsuspecting passengers on the ALRVs, now you get people yelling and screaming about whatever that irritates them. How do you think they get people to give them space and leave them alone? They yell and scream, and have a complete meltdown any time anybody suggests they move along. If they aren't happy about tail whip on the streetcar, they can go sleep it off somewhere else. They get on for free, they have no right to complain about something they don't pay for.

By chance, I came across a report today of the first test run of an electric streetcar in 1892 in Toronto. Turns out the first passenger ever was a drunk, picked up at Church and Queen. I guess nothing changes. :) 

See the bottom of the article.

image.thumb.png.ad3507034996db5ecaf8dda00c6df06e.png

image.thumb.png.a0cc69f2f2f90fc7e0c5b1bc056959ab.png

https://www.proquest.com/hnpglobeandmail/docview/1648040142

• Like 1

On 7/6/2023 at 9:51 PM, CJ. said:

Due to somewhat odd run time on 8/62 and 113/135, buses that are behind on the route will still automatically sign on the other route regardless of where they are. A late 62 bus going east to Victoria Park Station at Dawes Rd automatically flipped to 8 Broadview and announced the next stop as "Broadview Station" then became completely silent and didn't annouce any of the 62 stops when going to VP. When it arrived it still displayed and announced 8 Broadview on the external, driver tried going back to 62 but VISION wasn't letting him, and he changed the sign manually to 62 WEST and it just changed back to 8 Broadview right away. Similar thing happened on 135 a couple days ago where when the 135 bus departed Warden at a time not on the schedule after a hold by TC, it was forced onto 113 Danforth and announced a random 113 stop before becoming completely silent and forcing the op to display 113 on his bus the entire route. I get that it can be buggy in weird circumstances but in no reason it should force to stay on the same route when its manually tried to be changed

"Clever Devices" - where can I invest all my life savings in that company?

5 hours ago, nfitz said:

By chance, I came across a report today of the first test run of an electric streetcar in 1892 in Toronto. Turns out the first passenger ever was a drunk, picked up at Church and Queen. I guess nothing changes. :)

No, nothing changes, just more population density and bigger buzzwords.

13 hours ago, blue.bird.fan said:

I spotted the destination sign problem described here.

The 72A Pape “Broadview shuttle” northbound at Riverdale and Carlaw was displaying 100 Flemingdon Park, while some other buses displayed 72.

Yeah it’s not a small issue. It should be solved. This morning one of the 113 buses was displaying 135 Gerrard. The drivers can’t do anything about it because it doesn't let them exit the route and the route supervisor can only do that which they usually never care to do anyways. I witnessed a 87A displaying 64 MAIN TO QUEEN stop by secord and the driver was annoyingly just saying “I’m the 87” over and over when nobody was listening

11 minutes ago, CJ. said:

Yeah it’s not a small issue. It should be solved. This morning one of the 113 buses was displaying 135 Gerrard. The drivers can’t do anything about it because it doesn't let them exit the route and the route supervisor can only do that which they usually never care to do anyways. I witnessed a 87A displaying 64 MAIN TO QUEEN stop by secord and the driver was annoyingly just saying “I’m the 87” over and over when nobody was listening

There is one thing that can definitely be done, and that is to log off the block completely,  and re-log in as a RAD bus. I ended up having to do that once during such a screw-up on the 26/55 interline. Logged back into the block once a fix was made.

Is this all because of the overhyped Vision system? I reported a few days ago about a random 503 bus stopping at Parliament announcing externally that it was a 72A. I've never seen so many destination signs and external announcements messed up in general. The internal stop announcements seemed to be having problems recently too. Can we blame this on Leary too?

All these destination sign problems make me remember back to when the 71 and 77 interlined in the early 2010s and the operators would set their sign manually. So consistently passengers would board a southbound 71 signed as a 77 and a northbound 77 signed as either 71A or 71B

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TTC Guy said:

All these destination sign problems make me remember back to when the 71 and 77 interlined in the early 2010s and the operators would set their sign manually. So consistently passengers would board a southbound 71 signed as a 77 and a northbound 77 signed as either 71A or 71B

I remember watching those 77 at Black Creek and Eglinton going west

• Like 1

4 hours ago, WoodbineSecondExit said:

Is this all because of the overhyped Vision system? I reported a few days ago about a random 503 bus stopping at Parliament announcing externally that it was a 72A. I've never seen so many destination signs and external announcements messed up in general. The internal stop announcements seemed to be having problems recently too. Can we blame this on Leary too?

I was on a 503 bus that wasn't displaying any of the next few stops on its screen, but was announcing and displaying only the next one. I'm not sure if they appear on apps yet.

19 hours ago, WoodbineSecondExit said:

I don't think its the VISION tech itself, its probably the so called "programmers" and "technicians" that work for the TTC to manage it and make money in triple digits per year just being incompetent. It works fine for everyone else, just not TTC

14 hours ago, blue.bird.fan said:

I was on a 503 bus that wasn't displaying any of the next few stops on its screen, but was announcing and displaying only the next one. I'm not sure if they appear on apps yet.

They are required to sign on to "501 short turn to Greenwood & Connaught" eastbound or "501 to Kingston Road & Queen". Westbound is a new variation of "501 to York Via King" but i noticed that going west it'll annouce itself as going to Roncesvalles, Bathurst or Dufferin so they probably have a hard time signing into it going west. But in just a few days, the real 503 will resume fully so this won't be a problem anymore

Has anybody else noticed the fact that more and more buses are on 505 lately? They seem to be going full route (no short turn at coxwell) all the way to Bingham loop. Seems like 600 buses are getting sent on that route while a ton of 505 streetcars will continue to short turn at Coxwell due to bad run time. What a great solution

Today one of them I saw was 1200, which was displaying a 504/505. At least get the signs right

On 7/9/2023 at 11:23 AM, CJ. said:

I don't think its the VISION tech itself, its probably the so called "programmers" and "technicians" that work for the TTC to manage it and make money in triple digits per year just being incompetent. It works fine for everyone else, just not TTC

They are required to sign on to "501 short turn to Greenwood & Connaught" eastbound or "501 to Kingston Road & Queen". Westbound is a new variation of "501 to York Via King" but i noticed that going west it'll annouce itself as going to Roncesvalles, Bathurst or Dufferin so they probably have a hard time signing into it going west. But in just a few days, the real 503 will resume fully so this won't be a problem anymore

They're doing the full route now and are signed up as normal 503s. The bus in question was announcing everything normally until it got to the eastbound stop at Parliament when it decided it was a 72A then went back to being a 503 at the next stop. Last month a lot of the time the external speakers would say it's a 301 night bus. On the newer buses the onboard stop displays sometimes get out of sync with the line displaying the next stop. The destination sign programs, the stop announcement/display system, external announcement systems have been a dumpster fire for months.

• Thanks 1

On the new service summary I think they made a mistake for the next board cause it’s says 989 Weston Express is ran out of Mount Dennis Division and 89 Weston out of Wilson Division I think it’s a typo though 

18 hours ago, Young said:

On the new service summary I think they made a mistake for the next board cause it’s says 989 Weston Express is ran out of Mount Dennis Division and 89 Weston out of Wilson Division I think it’s a typo though 

Speaking of route relocation, is 21 Brimley being transferred to another division at the end of the current board period?

Changes for the July-September boards. As @Downsview34. said, 13 will loop to Mt. Pleasant and 51/61 will be interlined (division TBD, but Wilson takes back the 51 or Eglinton takes over both).

Steve Munro provided both the information and photos:
https://stevemunro.ca/2023/07/12/preliminary-list-of-service-changes-july-september-2023/

image.thumb.jpeg.03a6d949562cdba7efcfd73374125306.jpeg
image.thumb.jpeg.1c727bd6f9a8727c177d14d2d3feb593.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.68d064915b00b276118ea4177110ad50.jpeg

Among them are the return of the 507 LONG BRANCH and the 508 LAKE SHORE cars.

23 hours ago, Young said:

Do you have the link?

36 minutes ago, Kumiko Oumae said:

Changes for the July-September boards. As @Downsview34. said, 13 will loop to Mt. Pleasant and 51/61 will be interlined (division TBD, but Wilson takes back the 51 or Eglinton takes over both).

Steve Munro provided both the information and photos:
https://stevemunro.ca/2023/07/12/preliminary-list-of-service-changes-july-september-2023/

image.thumb.jpeg.03a6d949562cdba7efcfd73374125306.jpeg
image.thumb.jpeg.1c727bd6f9a8727c177d14d2d3feb593.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.68d064915b00b276118ea4177110ad50.jpeg

Among them are the return of the 507 LONG BRANCH and the 508 LAKE SHORE cars.

Do you have the link?

It’s on the wheel-trans forum on this website

43 minutes ago, Kumiko Oumae said:

51 is currently McNicoll. McNicoll will operate the 51/61 interline next board.